Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Road trip northeast as far as Georgia in April - do we need reservations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2021, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a road trip from Massachusetts down the coast as far as Savannah and then back up via the mountain route in April. I would love to do this without reservations but not sure if that's a good idea. We are fine with chain motels.

Possible overnight stops include:
Chincoteague, Va
Mateo, NC (just in from Nags Head)
Beaufort, SC
Savannah, GA (2 nights)
Six Mile, SC (staying with relatives 4 nights)
Asheville, NC
Charlottesvile, VA
Front Royal, VA
Lancaster, PA

We have the freedom to add a few days where/when we want thus the desire to not have reservations.
What do you think? Which of those places, if any, would you feel you needed a reservation?
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 09:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you stick with one chain (group of motels)like Choice, when you check out in the morning you can ask at the desk about their hotels in or near the city you plan on being at that night. They can call ahead and have your room reserved and tell you what it will cost. I agree, don't reserve a room more than 2 days in advance. I have a Choice Privilege card and sometimes I have enough points to score a free room or other times can use some points and a few dollars to get a room.
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 02:03 AM

Just use booking.com or hotels.com or such in the afternoon when you know where you may be. I don't know if you want to stay somewhere "spcecial" in Savannah. Missing Charleston?
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 04:07 AM

Easter is April 4 this year, so if you will be traveling then you might run into some difficulty. Otherwise I agree with the previous posters, you can find places to stay on the road.
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 08:44 AM

If you are fine with regular chain hotels/motels, I don't see any problem at all, myself. Now I am not familiar with those SC, NC and GA places but it would have to be pretty unusual that you couldn't even find a room in a Hampton Inn, HI Express, etc. I know you don't in the VA/PA areas.

I wouldn't ask anyone at a hotel, this is easy to figure out yourself. YOu have an idea of your route, just check out the likely hotels ahead of time, you don't have to book them. Then when ready, just do it from the hotel's own website or booking.com.

An alternative is to book hotels on your likely dates, and cancel at the last minute if you aren't going to be there. Depends how much you think you are going to deviate and stay over places. Lots of hotels have pretty liberal cancellation policies, I know some where I go nearby in VA/MD/PA for ski trips, you can cancel up to 6 pm on the day of arrival, even. Others, it is 24 hrs in advance. I just stayed in the Wingate by Wyndham in Elkins WV a few weeks ago, and I could cancel there up to 4 pm the day ahead.
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 11:28 AM

I somewhat agree with Cristina although I refuse to drag a laptop along and got rid of my Smartphone so what we have done in the past was drag along some Tourbooks from AAA which lists lodging by cities then call the ones we shortlisted about 2-3pm to reserve for the night. I do agree also to check your travel dates against when Easter is.
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.
I'm thinking we'd go the middle two weeks of April, so after Easter. I'm hoping to get the vaccine before we go so that's kind of dictating the dates but leaving the 11th is my choice.

I'm not including Charleston as I spent 4 days there a few years ago. Also went to Savannah but only for 2 days and didn't get to Tybee Island which I want to do plus my husband was not on that trip that's why I'm planning on Savannah. And no, don't really care where we stay. This trip is not about where we stay at all, hotels will just be for sleeping.

I have looked at booking.com and there are plenty of choices everywhere we are going but of course early February and mid April (especially this year) are two very different things, that's why I'm asking. I think mid April misses spring break (but then I don't know when southern states do spring break) but I'm sure there are still plenty of people not tied to an academic spring break that will be traveling at that time. I put in mid April dates into booking.com but that's 10 weeks away so I'd expect there to be vacancies that far out.

But it sounds like it would be safe to have a list of hotels that sound good and just try booking them in the morning as we head out.
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 01:45 AM

I don't think there are going to be the flood of spring break travel this year. You will be able to book on a travel site very easily the day you want.
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by isabel
We are planning a road trip from Massachusetts down the coast as far as Savannah and then back up via the mountain route in April. I would love to do this without reservations but not sure if that's a good idea. We are fine with chain motels.

Possible overnight stops include:
Chincoteague, Va
Mateo, NC (just in from Nags Head)
Beaufort, SC
Savannah, GA (2 nights)
Six Mile, SC (staying with relatives 4 nights)
Asheville, NC
Charlottesvile, VA
Front Royal, VA
Lancaster, PA

We have the freedom to add a few days where/when we want thus the desire to not have reservations.
What do you think? Which of those places, if any, would you feel you needed a reservation?
Living in York, PA and having lived in Savannah, GA as well as been to most of those locations, here is my two cents. Savannah has plenty of lodging, as does Lancaster, PA - so I wouldn't be too worried. Ashville and Charlottesville also have plenty of Lodging. Front Royal has decent amount of lodging, as well. In all I think you would mostly be ok, even Mateo and Chincoteague should be ok as it is still not High season there.