Northeast Georgia trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from a week in the NE Georgia mountains and had a great time. Stayed in a cabin just outside of Clayton. Hike at Tallulah Gorge state park, Brasstown Bald and Black Rock state park (among other places). Also went rafting with Southeast Expeditions.

Overall, the area was great for a short getaway. I would recommend this for anyone who wants to get away for awhile and do some hiking and sightseeing. Very similar to the Smokey Mountain areas in TN but with much fewer people and less touristy.
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 03:35 AM

Wow.. never been there, and living in GA 13 years.. will have to try that sometime!
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 06:48 AM

Since you mention Brasstown, did you do anything there with the crafts? What is available?
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 07:14 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
You were in my neck of the woods. It is totally magic up there! 67% of the county is state or national forest and sections of it are over 3000 feet elevation (which is high for Georgia). The motto of the county is "Where Springs Spends the Summer" - and it's true. Temps are usually 10 to 15 degrees lower than Atlanta in the summer and not as humid.

Lots of trails, waterfalls, and good restaurants. A friend of mine loves to take the trail along the Chattooga to sit and watch the rafts through Bull Sluice - to see folks get popped out into the river You rafted on one of the wildest sections of whitewater open to commercial rafting.

Glad you enjoyed it! A couple of Fodorites from other parts of the country love it too. For me, it's heaven on earth.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 09:48 AM

Starrs and Tomms -- can you recommend some motels, cabins etc in the northeast GA area. DH and I are thinking about getting out of northwest Florida for Labor Day. Thanks.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 03:24 PM

heres a link to the Lake Chatuge area,near Hiawasee Ga--we went there 2 years ago and loved the whole area http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ke-chatuge.cfm