Italy Vacation 2002

Search

Italy Vacation 2002

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2020, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Vacation 2002

On our first trip to Europe in 2001 we went to Italy and at the time thought it would be our one and only trip to Europe. We had such a great time that we fell in love with traveling and went back to Italy the very next year. A few weeks ago I posted some notes and a link to pictures of our 2001 trip so I can easily reference them when on this forum. I'm doing the same thing here with our 2002 trip.

When the travel bug bit us, it bit hard. We have now been to Italy 5 times, France 5 times, Mexico 3 times, the Carribean twice and once each to Spain, England, Greece, Malta, Switzerland, Germany, Bermuda, Gibraltar and the Netherlands. I know this is just a drop in the bucket compared to most of the folks on this forum but it was hard for us to squeeze travel in to our busy work schedules. Now that we are both retired we hope to do a lot more.

Italy Vacation 2002

Web sites & info Dates

Hotel San Luca Cortona - 4 Stelle - Sep 20 (1 night)

Cortona (Hotel San Luca)

http://www.castellodiproceno.it Sep 21-27 (7 nights)

Proceno (Castello di Proceno)

http://www.albergodelsenato.it Sep 28- Oct 1 (4 nights)

Rome (Albergo del Senato)

Flights

Date Airline & Flight depart arrive

Atlanta – Rome Sep 19-20 Delta #70 5:20 PM 8:40 AM

Rome – Atlanta Oct 2 Delta #71 10:45 AM 3:25 PM

Tuscany and Umbria

Flew to FCO at Rome, rented car and drove to Cortona. Hotel was good and had a great view. Walked around town, saw Bramasole, dinner at Il Falconiere, enjoyable stay.

Drove to Proceno and stayed a week in 12th century “rustic” castle. Day trips to Pienza, Montalcino, Montepulciano, San Quirico d’Orca, Pitigliano, Sovana, Bagno Vignoni, Saturnia thermal springs, Etruscan tomb, Deruta, Assisi, Radicofani, Orvieto and one day up to the Chianti area near Panzano (stopped by the villa we stayed at in 2001).

Rome

Dropped car off in Orvieto and took train to Rome and then taxi to a great hotel with a rooftop bar overlooking the Pantheon. Saw Sistine chapel, Vatican museum, climbed to top of St Peters, Castello San Angelo, Trasteverte, saw opera in a small church, took several walking tours on our own using guide books. Really enjoyed our stay in Rome.

Taxi to airport and home.
Link to pictures: https://jkitaly2001.shutterfly.com/pictures/241
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pitigliano

This is NOT me. LOL.