Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First trip to Germany - hotel suggestions please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2020, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple in 60s looking for hotel rooms avg $100 a night, must have private bathroom. We will need hotel recommendations for the following cities please. Hattenheim, Rothenburg, Fussen, Wurzburg, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Germany, and Salzburg, Austria. Thank you!
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 01:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Accor hotels are budget, they have Mecure and Ibis that are basic but clean. You can also look at Guesthouses. Booking.com is a good source to find budget hotels and guesthouses.
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 01:08 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
This place in Rothenburg served us well last December:

https://www.kreuzerhof-rothenburg.de/index.html
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 01:37 PM

Hattenheim and Frankfurt are not that far apart - you could have a base between the two like Wiesbaden, which is about 40 mins by train from Frankfurt and less than that to Hattenheim. I heartily recommend Hotel Oranien in Wiesbaden, but it is a little away from the station and I don't know if it fits your budget. Unless of course Hattenheim and Frankfurt are themselves going to be bases for you...

https://www.hotel-oranien.de/en/hote.../doppelzimmer/

Will you be driving or taking a train?

I like your choice of Hattenheim and have tips for the Rheingau if you are interested Also a tip about German hotels - www.hrs.de is a good website for a search.

Lavandula

Last edited by lavandula; Feb 12th, 2020 at 01:40 PM. Reason: budget and hotel tips
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 01:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.gaestehaus-edith.eu/de-de/rooms I have stayed here twice but the second time Edith overbooked and we had to take a room with a shared bath. We had met friends there so we shared with them. There were seven of us/four rooms. My husband went to the bathroom and locked himself out. I finally heard him after an hour. I had earplugs in. There are so many of these places in town.
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 02:10 PM

In Rothenburg, we loved the Hotel Spitzweg which is in your price range. We liked it so much that if we return, I wouldn't even consider looking at other places, FWIW. The host is so friendly and helpful and makes the best breakfasts! Great location too as well as plenty of charm and very well kept.
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 02:18 PM

Coming back to Hattenheim, can I suggest you search in Erbach or Eltville if you don't go for Wiesbaden? Hattenheim is very small, you may not get accommodation there.

Lavandula
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 04:42 AM

Both booking.com and lonelyplanet.com have booking search engines that let you narrow search by price and features and see on a map. They have their own reviews or you can cross compare to tripadvisor.com reviews or have a look at Rick Steves or Lonely Planet guidebooks (check out from your library if you don't want to purchase) which would have recommendations in your price range.
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I have checked Booking.com as a source. I was looking for personal recommendations.
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I will check this.
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Lavandula - We are flying in and our of Frankfurt and renting a car. The hotel I need for Frankfurt is for the last night before we fly out. We are taking parents who lived in Hattenheim while in the Air Force, so we are trying to stay there a couple of days. That is why we don't need info for Wiesbaden. Then we are driving to other locations (Rothenburg, Fussen, Wurzburg, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Germany, and Salzburg, Austria).
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all hotel recommendations. Hotel Spitzweg in Rothenburg looks good.
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 12:12 PM

OK, if staying in Frankfurt for a night then it's fine to stay in the city centre on the last night because the train between Frankfurt Flughafen and the Hauptbahnhof is only 12 minutes. You will get a better selection of hotels. Sorry I can't be of more assistance with Frankfurt but it's a popular destination and you will get a few answers, hopefully some within your price range. We have connections to Wiesbaden and usually stay in a hotel there on our last night because it's close to the airport, which is between the two cities. At the airport itself I have stayed in the Steigenberger but it was a soulless experience if efficient and without other negatives, but much better options since that time have come up (for instance the newer airport hotels in the Squaire). Good luck!

Lavandula