Search

Climbing in Victoria

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 11:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Climbing in Victoria

Have the recent fires in Australia affected climbing in the Grampians and Arapiles?
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 03:55 PM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you from here and looking for specifics from other climbers?

Can't help much there but do live in the state and have kept a fairly close eye on the fire maps from Vic Emergency. If it helps at all, I don't recall having seen any large fire outbreaks this year in either area. None going on there now, but there are a couple of small firess to the north in the top of the Wimmera area and directly south nearer the coast. Still early in the season if you're coming still in summer. You never know. It's been cool and even a little wet the past week but it's bound to heat up and dry out again soon. Make sure you have an exit strategy.
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CounterClifton
Are you from here and looking for specifics from other climbers?

Can't help much there but do live in the state and have kept a fairly close eye on the fire maps from Vic Emergency. If it helps at all, I don't recall having seen any large fire outbreaks this year in either area. None going on there now, but there are a couple of small firess to the north in the top of the Wimmera area and directly south nearer the coast. Still early in the season if you're coming still in summer. You never know. It's been cool and even a little wet the past week but it's bound to heat up and dry out again soon. Make sure you have an exit strategy.
Thanks for the reply - I will check out more climbing related forums. I don't think the Grampians have been hit as bad as Gippsland, so hopefully ok.
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 06:26 PM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Nowhere near as bad as Gippsland, for sure. Any outbreaks in the Grampians have been put out right away. Thats a normal year around here. Gippsland's definitely not typical. Good luck with your trip.