Reload this Page >

Climbing the Acropolis

Search

Climbing the Acropolis

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 1998, 03:20 PM
Von Hop

Climbing the Acropolis

Any opinions on the climb up the Acropolis would be helpful. I will be traveling with my 73 year old father this August on the Grand Princess Mediterrean - Istanbul to Barcelona. My father wants to do the tour to the top of the Acropolis. He is very short of breath due to illness but is very surefooted and as steady as a 20 year old walking. He just doesn't have the air capacity that normal people do. I am concerned about his making the climb. How "tough" is it. Is it harder because of the size and number of steps or is it the length of the climb?? Any feedback will help. On the tours..is the climb slow or do they push you up fast. Do "older" folks go up?? Also will be going to the Temple of Poisedon the same day, understand that is a climb also. Please advise..

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 08:44 AM
Nils

Old people may climb the Acropolis. You can sit down and rest on benches and enjoy the sight. You should not climb in too hot weather. October to May is probably the best months. Nils

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 10:54 AM
joe

From what I remember, was there in '95, the streets that lead up to the Acropolis were pretty steep, but there were several places to take a break.

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 05:10 PM
clay

I went with a tour group that consisted of retired folks, and some of them decided to stay at ground level. Others took the climb up to the temple of athena nike, but got no further. It is not a short climb, and furthermore, it is very slippery on the rocks and there are dirt areas. I believe your father should, at the very least, walk up slowly and stop often, and possibly go no futher if he is straining. I would advise great caution. Once you get to the top, it is somewhat at a slope, but again, very slippery. I did NOT see too many elderly folks at the top.

Old Jun 6th, 1998, 01:12 PM
Patty

I went with a tour group to the Acropolis and many older people were included. Our tour guide didn't push us. She started our tour at the Theater of Dionyus (just a few steps up to it) to give us a rest spot (benches and shade) before climbing the main hill, which also gave others a chance to start the main climb so they could go slower. Our next climb section consisted of sometimes steep concrete path through shaded areas. At the top of it where drinks, benches and shade are available our guide let us rest while she bought the tickets. Our next section was the steps. They go to the right and then zag to the left. They are slippery because they and the top of the plateau are made of marbel but if you wear hiking boots or athletic shoes with a good sole you will be safer. Our guide then took a rest stop in the shade and gave us our history lesson and a place to rest and then we made our way to the top. I would suggest you question what time you will be at the Acropolis. Our tour ended there and we showed up at 12:00 noon, the hotest part of the day. Also, along with a hat I would suggest an umbrella, as there is no shade on the top. Many of the guides carry them for this reason. I went up and I am in my late 30's. I am incredibly out of shape with severe back problems. I think it can be done if you pace yourself. If you need further information please feel free to e-mail me.

Old Jun 11th, 1998, 04:54 PM
dimitra

If you ask me - DON'T have your father do it. First of all - August is peak heat time, and secondly, Athens has the worst air pollution in all overseas countries I've ever seen. I would not recommend it no matter how ornery he gets about it.

Old Jun 12th, 1998, 06:22 PM
Laura

The climb up the Acropolis is certainly possible for your father if he takes it slowly. I took a 78 year old friend with me and she handled it fine. If you are going other places in Greece, though, particularly on some of the islands, the climb is quite hard. Also at some archaeological sites there are pieces of marble sticking out of the ground and they are slippery. <BR>