Search

Arizona Hiking Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2020, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arizona Hiking Trip

Hi, we (2 couples) are planning 5 day trip to Arizona. Our plan is to fly to Phoenix from Newark, rent a car and rent Airbnb in the Flagstaff area. This way we are going to be closer to main hiking attractions. My question to you guys is what would you suggest we should visit during our stay? I was thinking that must visit places would be:
1. Grand Canyon
2. The Wave (I have already applied for the permit lottery)
3.Antelope Canyon
Our dates are May 2 - May 9.

Where else should we go or see?

Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 12:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Good luck with The Wave. As I understand it the odds of hitting the lottery are less than 5%. A friend of mine tried at least a dozen times, combination of lottery and walk-up, before scoring.

There are a couple of hikes at the Lee's Ferry campground. One goes up to the Lonely Dell Ranch and then you can continue into Paria Canyon. Another is the Spencer Trail, short and steep but you get a dramatic view of a big bend in the Colorado River.
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 01:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The meteor crater west of Winslow is a hike. In Winslow stop to see the statues of Glen Frey "Standin' on the Corner". Yes there is a flat bed Ford parked there and a beautiful mural on the wall.
Just a mile or 2 inside the east entrance of Grand Canyon NP, stop to see the Desert View tower. The views from inside are worth climbing the winding stairs.
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 02:59 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
https://www.alltrails.com/us/arizona/flagstaff

Humphrey's Peak is a favorite of a Flagstaff friend who's also done Kilimanjaro & Everest Base Camp. Lots of good choices in N. AZ.
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 09:27 PM

I assume you are not making day trips from Flagstaff to Antelope Canyon??? That's a long drive. You need to look at the idea of driving around and staying in hotels closer to your hiking places. The Grand Canyon is great for hiking. There is plenty of hiking--Buckskin Gulch, Paria Canyon-outside of Kanab, Utah. Antelope Canyon isn't a hike. It's a shuffle through a pretty canyon with a TON of other people in front of you. What time of year is this? Because that would totally change what hikes are recommended.
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 09:28 PM

ok--just saw beginning of May. You are a little early to hike at higher elevations. But the desert hikes should be fine. If you want to hike only around Flagstaff, then look closer to that area. Otherwise, drive around and rent hotels as I noted above.
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 03:23 AM

If you do not want to move your lodging, look at staying at Cameron Trading post, on 89 near the junction with 64. This puts you between Grand Canyon and Antelope Canyon which will cut way down on driving times.
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for you replies. We wanted to stay in Flagstaff because I thought it would be closer to GC and Antelope than Sedona. We don't mind driving and it won't be an issue. Just don't want to miss any of the great spots and at the same time do not want to waist time on something that is not worth it.
This is our first Arizona trip and we want to see as much as we can
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 06:34 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Flagstaff worked pretty well for us on our November trip. As I remember, Sedona was a few minutes closer than the south rim of the Grand Canyon going by way of 64 near Williams. We came back to Flagstaff by way of US 180 and encountered snow on the highway above 7500 feet elevation near Arizona Snowbowl.