Camping and Hiking Arizona and Utah

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2012, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hoping to see (at least) Horseshoe Bend, Antelope Canyon, and Zion National Park. I have a week at the beginning of July. I have road tripped with my ex out that direction in the past. We had weeks at a time and we drove/camped the entire time.
Only having a week I am looking for suggestions:
RIght now it is cheaper to fly into Phoenix over Vegas. Is there somewhere else I should look at?
Are there places to rent SUVs specifically for camping and traveling through these Parks?
I may be by myself for this trip and would love suggestions of places to camp and hike and see, that would be safe to be on my own.
I felt very safe everywhere I visited out there in the past (Sedona, Flagstaff, Moab) and expect to feel the same, but this will be my first experience doing it on my own.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:28 PM

Camping in campgrounds in any national park should be safe; the same probably applies to a national forest campground with a host.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:51 PM

You don't need an SUV for any of the parks--they are all paved. Canyonlands is different but you need a REAL jeep for that--not just an SUV In Moab, I have stayed at various public campgrounds in/south of town and it has been just fine. I am not sure, but it seems like such a long drive from Phoenix to Zion vs. Las Vegas to Zion. The other thing to remember is that Zion is a couple of hours from Page. So with only a week, you might want to focus on Zion and Bryce. I feel fine hiking in the main trails of the National Parks---plenty of traffic. BUT--please make sure you leave an itinerary with someone and you check in when you get back. We just had an experienced hiker get stranded for several days because she broke her ankle--and she hadn't told anyone where she would be. The police found the rental car papers in her hotel room when she failed to check out and then they found the car. Not good for anyone!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:21 AM

In addition to the cost of airfare and rental car, you need to look at how early the flight gets in to town. I've been looking for better deal for a fall trip and right now Grand Junction, GJT is $20 more for airfare but $100 less for the suv. It also has a flight from the east coast that gets in at 11AM which means we could be in Arches in the early afternoon. That makes it a no brainer for me. I figure we gain a half a day and a night's lodging compared to DEN or ABQ.

In any case have a fantastic trip!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:03 AM

1) You need to look at the cost of rental cars, gas plus airfare.

Zion is about 165 miles from Vegas, about 400 miles from Phoenix. Flying in/out of Phoenix and driving to/from Zion adds 8 hours of driving and almost 500 miles to your trip vs. flying in/out of Vegas. If you can get 25 mpg at $4 gas, you're looking at spending at least an extra $75 just on gas if you choose the Phoenix airport.

At least look into one-way rentals, they are rarely but occasionally the same price or even cheaper than roundtrip rentals. Explore all the options, plug in numbers for everything and then figure out where to fly into.

2) You absolutely do not need an SUV. You can't go off-road with a rental, and you won't need the 4WD or high-clearance where you're going. Skip the additional cost and just get a car.

3) With only a week, focus on Zion, Bryce and the Page area. July will be hot but Bryce will be relatively cool since it's at elevation. You can spend 3 days in Zion, 1.5-2 days in Bryce and the rest of your time driving and doing the stuff by Page. There are campgrounds in Zion and Bryce, try to make reservations now if you can. There are some national forest campgrounds close to both of them as well but staying in the park is more convenient. Tradeoff is staying in the park is probably more crowded and loud. I've camped in Zion one night and it kind of sucked, stayed in a national forest campground near Cedar Breaks the other night and it was significantly quieter but without many amenities. So there is a tradeoff for peace and quiet.
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. I was not thinking about an SUV to go off-roading , more just because I will be living out of a car and have room for all of my stuff- tent, camping stuff etc.
And when I drove out there a few years ago we had an SUV and it seemed almost necessary but perhaps that was more in Colorado. The roads between Flagstaff and Sedona are very steep as well.
It is MUCH cheaper to drive from here(StL) when I do the math.. That would be my first choice. I just do not have the time. Maybe I just need to find more time off and solve that problem- have my own car and no airfare and no cost of a rental. I worry about all of that driving by myself though.
I know there is not a lot to do in Page but I really want to see Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon. Both do not seem to involve any real hiking. I have done Arches and Moab, and I feel Zion and Bryce may be very similar. I would love suggestions of places close that I could experience and get a lot of hiking in. There were a few hikes in Sedona I would like to do and thought about incorporating if I flew into Phoenix.
Old May 5th, 2012, 08:26 PM

You might want to see Lower Calf Creek Falls, east of Escalante.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7623176227912/
Old May 5th, 2012, 08:36 PM

Horseshoe Bend is not long, but it is a bit steep and is through sand so you feel a little workout .
Upper Antelope canyon is a walk rather than a hike, very level and very short. Lower Antelope is lots of ladders and more interesting that way, but not really a hike either.

If you want a hike there go to Big Water and head 9 miles round trip to the Wahweap hoodoos. Though it would be miserable in the heat of the summer, and since you'd be alone and it is off the beaten path it may not be a good idea. The Paria Hoodoos just off hwy 89 at mm18-19 would be good, not too far though.

Neither Zion or Bryce is anything like Moab/Arches, nor are they much like each other either. If you want hiking though go to Zion. There are several great hikes, not dangerous to do alone and not too bad in the summer. Angel's Landing, Narrows, Observation Point and Hidden Canyon are all fantastic to see. Camping at the park campgrounds would be very safe.
Old May 6th, 2012, 08:04 AM

s,

Agreed. Zion and Bryce are nothing like the Moab area. The wonderful thing about our Natl Parks is that each is special and unique. That's why each is a "must see".

I like hiking in Bryce. To be down among the hoodoos is a great experience and gives a completely different perspective of the canyon, which really isn't a canyon at all. It's an amphitheater. Just remember the start of your hike will be much cooler. It gets hotter at Bryce as you hike down into the canyon.

Take plenty of water, as you already know, there are almost no water supplies in the southern UT Natl Parks.

Have fun!
Old May 11th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Great thanks so much for the advice. I will spend the weekend researching Zion and Bryce and hte suggested hikes and campgrounds.
Last time we were booked 6-8 months in advanced and much more organized. I know I am going to be in the middle of the summer and cutting it close on time.
I am sure I will have questions as I research more.

Thanks again and keep the info coming!
Old May 11th, 2012, 08:50 AM

In regards to camping and flying, the airlines really don't like camping stoves. They gave us a hard time even though we explained to them that my stepson lives in Flagstaff, and he supplies our camping gear. We had no camp stove with us. I have no advice how to get around that, but I wanted to make you aware of that.

We have flown into both Vegas & Phoenix. Vegas is much closer to Zion and Utah, and you could run into traffic issues from Phoenix (we never have but we've heard horror stories). BIL lives in Phoenix.

We generally camped on BLM or NF land, so have no insight on camping reservations. We did stay at the campground near lower calf creek falls and it was cheap and nice enough. We also camped at the 'Navajo National Monument' which is free and they have facilities (incl flush toilets and water!). We did leave a donation. The NNM also has free guided tours to their cliff dwellings.
Old May 11th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi again,
Where were you flying from Mrssparky?
My biggest drawnback to flying is having to take all of my stuff on a plane instead of throwing it in my car!
Insandy-- I have read Antelope is only by tours? Does anyone know anything about this? I assumed Horseshoe bend and anterope were more sight seeing then hiking. I hope to do hike as well as see those.
Park campgrounds in Zion and Bryce would be safe to camp we think?
Does anyone live in the area that knows the best place to rent a car, or any deals?
Old May 11th, 2012, 12:39 PM

Yes, the Antelope Canyon slots are guided tour only. For Upper you can book ahead with a company in Page or just go to the gate and get on the next tour from there. For Lower just go to the little shack and wait for a tour.

And yes, neither Antelope Canyons nor horseshoe Bend are not really hikes.
There are a few real hikes (Wahweap hoodoos I already mentioned), Cathedral valley near Lee's Ferry, a rim hike on the north side of the river, a few others, but they will be hot in June. If you wanted some other hikes in the area look at Paria River south of 89

Yes the park campgrounds at either Zion or Bryce would be very safe to camp in.
Old May 12th, 2012, 03:57 AM

smplykt-We flew from upstate NY, it would've been buf or roc, but our issues were in Vegas. You could check with the airline.
Old May 12th, 2012, 05:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
s,
Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend are about 15-20 minutes apart.

Horseshoe Bend is a very flat 3/4 mile hike. You're walking on some sand and there's no shelter from the sun. Make sure you have water, sunscreen and a hat. When you get to the end you'll know it.

A thousand feet down with no screen, fence or barrier. But spectacular views.

I went to Upper Antelope Canyon about 5 years ago. Unless they've changed the process, I drove into a parking lot and paid a parking fee. Then I bought a ticket for a "guided tour".

Actually, the guide was part truck driver and part guide. He was knowledgeable so he knew the stories to tell. The drive is about 15 minutes from the parking lot to the canyon. The we spent an hour walking around. Amazing sight.

You want to be in both places when the sun is high in the sky so that the sun bounces off the wall in Antelope Canyon and is not in you face or too far behind you for Horseshoe Bend.
Old May 12th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the tips, very helpful.
As I read about Bryce and Zion I am wondering about the time of year I want to travel there. I don't mind the heat but at the beginning of July can the weather be dangerous? Storms, etc?

As I have said before, I planned the last trip about 8 months out- reservations made, everything researched and this is much more last minute. It is the only week I have off.

All of the campsites in the national parks are already booked except first come first serve. From what I have read it seems people have been ok still getting a site, but I recall the long lines to get into the campgrounds where we already had a site reserved. I would probably be arriving during the week, but 4th of July week. I am a bit nervous about this.