Mexico City - Easter Weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2019, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We plan to fly to Mexico City sometime around April 20 (Easter weekend), give or take a day. Am I better off flying in after Easter? I have read conflicting reports on this topic, all out of date, so turn to you guys for trustworthy guidance.

Also, a sort of related question: If we're going to start in MC, head to Oaxaca for a couple of days, then go back to MC for a few days before heading home, do I want to stay in Zocalo first, then Condesa? The reverse? Forget about Zocalo altogether? Or...see MC in one chunk, head to Oaxaca, then go directly to the airport from Oaxaca?

Thanks very much.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 07:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Generally, chilangos (Mexico City residents) like get out of the city on holiday weekends. I think half the city is here in San Miguel that weekend. So it's as good of a time as any to go. As far as where to stay in CDMX, both the centro histórico and Condesa/Roma have their plusses. If you've never been to CDMX, it's not a bad idea to experience both. I think if it were me, I'd bookend your Oaxaca visit with a stay in both areas. They are totally different from each other and will give you a taste of the best of the city, both the historic and the hip/chic. I'd probably begin in centro with it being more hectic, finishing with a wind-down in Condesa. But either order would be fine. One thing to keep in mind is bus travel around the holidays may mean buying your tickets in advance. Normally, that's not necessary. Although I do anyway, maybe at an OXXO or online if possible.*
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much, Baldone!
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 06:18 AM

I don't think it makes any difference which order you did those two parts of MC in, if that's what you want to do. I personally would not ever want to stay around the Zocolo but obviously some people do. If I were going to pick two parts, I'd pick Condesa and maybe a place near Alameda Park up to a few blocks north or south of it. I just don't like the area around the Zocolo at all, although of course there are some important sites to see there.

I don't understand what airport you are referring to at the end. If you can fly home from Oaxaca, makes sense to me instead of spending time going back to Mexico City. If you are talking about going back to the Mexico City airport anyway, I wanted want to go right from Oaxaca to that (how? bus?) so I'd split the visit in Mexico City as you suggested. I'm guessing many flights from Oaxaca might have to go to Mexico City anyway and do a fligth connection, but not necessarily, to go to the US.
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 11:48 AM

I just returned from a second visit to MC. Alone ( woman)

First time I stayed in Condesa , liked the area ..hip, residential, zillion restaurants and bars.
Took taxis to museums , HC , etc. A bit of a problem was walking around at night..
not well lit streets with uneven sidewalks.. ( I have impaired vision)
Second trip I stayed on Reforma a few minutes to the park..liked the location much better
walked to most museums throughout the park, along Reforma ,but still used taxis to get to HC , Polanco and museum Soumaya.
A number of hotels and eateries nearby worked for me at night.
To be honest, my least favorite part to stay would be the historic centre ...perhaps I am wrong,
but it didn’t seem like a great place to walk around at night.
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I think we'll skip staying in the center.