Cincinnati/Dayton, Ohio?

Search

Cincinnati/Dayton, Ohio?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2018, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cincinnati/Dayton, Ohio?

My old stomping grounds but haven't been back for about 25 years. Got a super cheap Ft. Myers to Cincinnati flight on Frontier so we're off for 5 nights the end of September. Staying at Hyatt Regency in Cincy the first two nights. Then the UD Marriott in Dayton the next two. Final night at a Hyatt Place by the CVG airport prior to our 6 AM flight out. So, thinking first night dinner at the Palm Court at the Netherland Plaza. I guess it's mainly for atmosphere, but any other suggestions? The second night we'll see a show at Playhouse in the Park -- and my old haunt -- The Celestial just closed to become an event space. What about doing ribs at the Montgomery Inn Boathouse on the river? Lunch ideas both days? We'll do the art museum and possibly the zoo.

I can't go to Dayton without a meal at The Pine Club, but where else? I'm trying to contact my niece and her husband in Franklin and thinking of doing Sunday lunch/brunch at The Golden Lamb in Lebanon on our way back to Cindy. Is there a place on the KY side for dinner that night? Something more unique? None of the old riverboat restaurants are still open (I'm remembering Mike Fink's and Captain Hooks)?

Any suggestions welcome. Peter's never been to Ohio so I'm kind of looking for "iconic"? Is there such a thing?
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 08:43 AM

I am from up that way but also haven't visited in a long time. HOWEVER there have been some wonderful Food Network shows about the revitalization of the area around Vine St. (and also heard that recently from a nurse I was dealing with from Cincy). And also the area in Covington, Uber den Rhein has come back to life.
Ah, the Golden Lamb.
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

A little confused. I thought Uber den Rhein was in east downtown. It’s in Covington? I tried googling and didn’t find much.
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 04:15 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Cincinnati:
OTR? Over the Rhine? Downtown, walking distance or tram from Fountain Sq. Lots of good places to dine there. Still a little sketchy in areas but a very “in” part of town. Sorry I don’t remember names of everywhere we ate but lunch at Taft Ale House in a former church, quite good.
Montgomery Inn at the Boathouse, on the river, famous for it’s ribs, etc is good.
Also Boca, upscale , for a very nice meal.
For a steak, The Precinct.
Have you visited Freedom Center, the Museum of tne Underground Railroad? It is so well done and situated on the Ohio River where many slaves crossed to freedom, assisted by the Underground Railroad.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Aug 27th, 2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife and I visited Dayton in 2016.
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 05:33 AM

I'd consider Graeter's ice cream an iconic experience. They're in both Cincinnati and Dayton.
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 01:48 PM

Yes, do not miss having a Graeter’s ice cream!
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 03:23 PM

Agreed on Graeter’s — wonderful ice cream.

You probably also know about Cincinnati chili. Skyline and Gold Star are the best chain options, while (reportedly, haven’t been) Camp Washington Chili and Blue Ash Chili are the best non- or limited-chains.

Love me a big five-way and two chili-cheese-onion-mustard coneys, though haven’t been there in a while now.
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 06:21 AM

Patrick- https://cin.ci/2LG9NY0

Happily Cincinnati is becoming more inclusive.