Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What do you think about Augusta, Georgia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering going there this upcoming weekend, just for a little getaway from Charlotte. We don't need a whole lot to do, but would appreciate just getting out of the house with our 4 month old twin girls. The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend. We have been to many of daytrip/weekend getaway places around here and Augusta was mentioned in the travel section of our newspaper a few weeks ago and it caught my eye. If you have any thoughts on Augusta in general, or suggestions for places to eat (remember, we will have two little ones with us so nothing formal or intimate!) or do I would love to hear about them.

Thanks!
Tracy
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 04:02 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Tracy, I honestly can't think of anything to do in Augusta. I wonder what the travel section mentioned. If you go, I'd strongly suggest staying at the Marriott on the River. I think you'd enjoy walking with the girls along the paved path overlooking the river. Other than that, I got nuthin'.

There may be a good concert while you are there but I doubt you want to leave the girls with a sitter. Downtown has some shops and more restaurants, but not a lot. The mall isn't great. There are plenty of chain hotels and restaurants. I go there a lot for work and there may be some hidden secrets - but they are well hidden.

The Masters will be starting up on April 5th. I don't know how early the golfers come in to practice. When it's Masters time, hotels are booked all the way into Columbia SC. The azaleas should be blooming, but don't know where to go see them en masse.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I went to a wedding and stayed at the Marriott and enjoyed walking the pups along the river. We were surprised how early some downtown restaurants closed. The restaurant at the Marriott is very good. There's a science museum there, but it's small and the girls are too young. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 04:46 PM

Tracy, I live in Augusta. Starrs is basically right -- there isn't a whole lot to do in Augusta other than the first week in April...

The downtown area (where the Marriott is) has been 'rebuilding' for the past decade after losing population and commerce to the suburbs in the 1970s and 1980s. There is a Riverwalk (8 blocks of paved sidewalk along the Savannah River) which is nice, but there isn't much river traffic (locks and dams prevent any real boat traffic). In addition to Ft. Discovery (the science museum) there is also the Morris Museum of Art (10th St. and Reynolds) and the Augusta History Museum (6th St. and Reynolds), but your twins are too young to enjoy these attractions (although you may).

Downtown, good places to eat include The Boll Weavil (sandwiches and great desserts), the New Moon Cafe (coffee and sandwiches), Blue Sky Kitchen, and the Pizza Joint. All are casual and would accommodate your little ones.

Let me know if you have more specific questions - I'm happy to help!
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 05:56 PM

Thanks SugarPlum,
Don't want to badmouth Augusta, but...
If it was before the girls, I'd suggest the Partridge Inn - but don't know what shape it's nowadays
A friend who grew up nearby said they called it "Dis-gusta".
Sorry again
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both. I appreciate your honest replies. Maybe we'll scrap those plans and head to Hendersonville, NC instead...we've been there before and know what to expect. I forgot what the article was about, but I know it had more to do with golf(something I'm not into so I skipped) and it kind of mentioned various other things to do around Augusta. It sounded pretty nice, but when I checked out the visitor website I wasn't too impressed which is why I thought I would post here first.

Thanks again!
Tracy
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 06:17 PM

Hendersonville would be great!
or Brevard
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

I don't think I've ever been to Brevard! I know I've heard of it. I'll check it out right now!

Tracy
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 04:56 AM

http://www.visitwaterfalls.com/ = Brevard
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 05:10 AM

In the first verse of "An American Dream" by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band is the line "Augusta Georgia is just no place to be."
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 06:05 AM

The Hendersonville/Brevard area and the Pisgah Forest would be a very nice trip.
Go to the Cradle of Forestry in the Pisgah, an there is a fish hatchery there also. Drive up to the top of Mt. Pisgah IF it is clear--otherwise you will be looking at a bank of clouds.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 07:28 AM

Hendersonville is a much better idea than Augusta. Not much to do in Augusta other than watching or playing in the Masters.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 02:21 PM

Starrs (and Tracy), I am not originally from Augusta, so even I occasionally refer to it as Dis-gusta. We have been here for 19 years -- husband's job brought us here, but we have stayed because of low housing prices, good schools (we live in suburban Columbia County, not the abyssmal Augusta-Richmond County), and a relatively slow pace of life. We are close enough to Atlanta to enjoy bigger attractions (my daughter and I were just in Duluth on Sunday for the Michael Buble concert) but don't have to suffer daily traffic. Negatives about living here include stagnant politics and relatively little to do.

Tracy, I hope you made it back to Hendersonville or to Brevard this weekend and enjoy the beautiful weather. If you ever have an opportunity to attend the Masters, please do, because that is Augusta at its best!