NYC hotel with 2 double beds

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2018, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if anyone can suggest a hotel which has 2 double beds or 2 single beds in a room.
My son is living in NYC and working in the financial district. He lives in Brooklyn and is sharing, so staying with him is not a possibility.
I am going to visit him this October (13th to 20th). Travelling with me is my older sister (she is 65). I am 57 and have been to NYC twice with my husband.
It is a bit more difficult to find a hotel room that will accomodate both of us.
I am finding hotel prices to be really expensive once 2 double beds are selected because the room rate is for 4 adults instead of 2.
I do not want to stay outside of Manhattan as this is my sisters first visit. She hardly goes on holidays and has not been out of Australia for about 20 years. So I would like something more central , walkable, with a subway close by. We do not have health issues. both of us are very mobile.

anyone have any suggestions????
Old May 13th, 2018, 03:15 AM

It would help if you posted a budget. Anything with 2 doubles will be 4 people. Two twins is kind of a unicorn in the US.

bunk bed style accommodations-

Jane Hotel (definitely cheap, but teeny. I stayed in a single room, and honestly can’t imagine sharing their double room) good location

yotel

one of the pod hotels.

freehand

likely a bit cheaper, but probably not what you’re looking for- a female dorm at hostelling International.
Old May 13th, 2018, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

happy to pay around $500 usd per night. no tiny rooms and no bunk beds...we are to old!
Old May 13th, 2018, 03:50 AM

I entered your dates on booking.com, and there’s tons of options. So I’m not sure what the issue is? Is there a lower price that you’re trying to keep to?

Last edited by marvelousmouse; May 13th, 2018 at 04:02 AM.
Old May 13th, 2018, 04:19 AM

" I am finding hotel prices to be really expensive once 2 double beds are selected because the room rate is for 4 adults instead of 2."

That is not my experience on most booking sites. You pick "2 adults" and "1 room", and a list of possibilities appear with various bed configurations. Prices in NYC can vary dramatically by the day of the week and time of year, so that may be why you are seeing the price change.

Hotels I know that definitely have two queen beds in one room:
Park South Hotel (midtown east location)
Holiday Inn Lower East Side (check the Holiday Inn chain--the others probably have two-bed options)
Old May 13th, 2018, 04:28 AM

Pod Times square has a 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite with a sitting area a little below 500/nt. Which would give you a central location and tons of room to sprawl out.
Old May 13th, 2018, 05:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agree with using Booking.com but even looking at the Marriott site for those dates one of the most expensive options is the Marquis right on Times Square and that is less than $500 a night for two and it does have rooms with two double beds.
Old May 13th, 2018, 06:23 AM

There are lots of 2 bed hotels in Manhattan. Three that I recommend are: Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Midtown West, The Muse, and The Lucerne.
Old May 13th, 2018, 09:33 AM

Also the Courtyard on 3rd Avenue. Nothing fancy, but the rooms are very large by Manhattan hotel standards.
Old May 13th, 2018, 12:37 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't use booking sites. I book directly with the hotel using the hotel group's website.
The Hampton Inn Times Square North is a good choice with large rooms, 2 beds, free breakfast and close walking distance to Broadway shows without being in the chaos of Times Square.
Rates for your dates are $374 for 2 adults. The Honor discount is $360 (join Hilton Honors before you reserve).

There are about 2 dozen more Hilton group properties with availability for your dates less that your budget cap.

Hilton Hotels and Resorts - Find Hotel Rooms

Another hotel I really love is the Belvedere -
https://www.belvederehotelnyc.com/
They have 3 room types with two beds and the Executive room is $343 for your dates.

Re the Muse - I love it too, as I do all Kimpton hotels, but it was $500 the last time I stayed there. Check to see if there are better rates for your dates, but Kimptons are usually pricier than other hotel groups.

To check for Holiday Inn properties, use the IHG group website - www.ihg.com

Last edited by starrs; May 13th, 2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old May 13th, 2018, 02:29 PM

Kimpton Hotels are now part of IHG. The difference was evident the last time I stayed at the Muse (no more Raid the Mini Bar perk). But, I love the location for my theater weekends. Room costs vary so it's worth checking to see what you can get.
Old May 13th, 2018, 02:35 PM

Noooo, I loved the minibar perk. Or rather it was an awesome bribe to get my family to stay there. So sad. I wondered why it was the ihg site last night, I thought I had googled the wrong thing.

Hopefully OP will let us know what she picks.
Old May 13th, 2018, 03:11 PM

A 2 bed room at the Muse starts at $429 for those dates.
$429 for 2 double beds - with non refundable first night deposit. $499 with free cancellation
$430 for 2 queen bedds
$558 for 2 Q with balcony

I loved the Muse. I stayed there for Thanksgiving one year and loved being just steps from the parade.
But I love the Belvedere (and Hampton Inn's) location more - on the other side of Broadway. Less congestion walking to shows.

Last edited by starrs; May 13th, 2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old May 13th, 2018, 10:39 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
We have found that a lot of hotels in the US have two double beds in a room even if you are only wanting 2 people for a room. No need to actually select 2 double beds when you are looking. Just check the bed configuration of a particular room when you are doing your research.
Old May 13th, 2018, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by millie2112
I am finding hotel prices to be really expensive once 2 double beds are selected because the room rate is for 4 adults instead of 2.
anyone have any suggestions????
Yes, my suggestion is to stop entering 4 people in your search criteria and enter 2 people. Then check the room descriptions of hotels you are interested in and select a room with a description stating 2 doubles or 2 queen sized beds or 2 king sized beds. That way you get the correct price for double occupancy whilst getting two separate beds in the same room.

Most large chain hotels such as Marriott, Hilton etc will offer the type of accommodation you seek. Using a booking site such as booking.com will help your search & booking efforts, it is easier than trawling thru separate websites.
Old May 14th, 2018, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

thank you everyone
I have been using Booking.com, and when I find a good hotel with a good price, I drill down to the details and find that the two double beds are much higher in cost.
I just did that with The Muse and the price has gone from $4kaud front page to $4,700aud in the detail. While this is still in my budget, it become really tiring going through all of it.
I will check out the recommendations.
Old May 14th, 2018, 02:57 AM

To the OP. Enter the number of people you want to accomodate, in your case, I think it is two. You will find rooms that have either 2 double beds or 2 single beds (as someone said, not very common any more). I believe the OP has misunderstood that two double beds is for 4 people.
In spite of Starrs not using booking sites, I have had good luck. She is a very frequent traveler and may have other perks.
$500/night is MORE than enough to get a hotel room, even in NYC.
Old May 14th, 2018, 03:31 AM

I don't use 3rd party booking sites - other than Hotwire when I'm looking for fire sales prices. For Hotwire search engines, you have to put 3 people in to be sure you are going to get 2 bed options.

If you search options using Hilton's and IHG's websites, you're going to get (probably) three dozen hotel options to choose from in all areas of Manhattan. Quick. Fast. Easy.

Once you click on the hotel(s), you can choose to see just the 2 bed options.

Be careful to book only hotels/rooms that offer the ability to cancel the reservation. That way, if you find a better deal between now and October, you can cancel without penalty. Closer to October, I'd look to see if there are any "fire sale" deals on Hotwire. I got an HIX for under $200 USD a night and the Belvedere for the low 200s - but those deals only pop up closer to the time of the stay.

Last edited by starrs; May 14th, 2018 at 03:49 AM.
Old May 14th, 2018, 04:14 AM

I, also, book hotels through their own web sites. It also pays to join all the "frequent" guest programs. And, don't know your age, but many hotels have Senior and AAA discounts.
Old May 14th, 2018, 04:45 PM

I love the points. I also like the upgrades because you're a HHonors member or whatever the Priority Club is called nowadays. I pretty much concentrate on Hilton properties to get the upgrades. For years, I loved the Hilton on 6th and even when I booked the room through Hotwire or Priceline (I don't use PL anymore) they would give me access to the club lounge. That is long gone, but that was when the Lounge was on an upper floor with a view of Central Park. Free breakfast and free afternoon snacks.

I'm so old I joined the Priority Club the second year it was in existence. The first year they set the points levels too low and everyone I worked with got a free trip to Europe thanks to the PC. They adjusted by the time I started traveling for work. I used to use several loyalty programs but now I focus on one or two, but even when I barely stayed at Hyatts, I got a fantastic upgrade to a suite in San Francisco. Anyway, the loyalty programs are free to join. They may give you a discount up front and there's always the chance you'll get a freebie during your stay.