Crazy - Hotel Room in NYC for 4 Adults?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - we're planning a trip to NYC over Columbus Day with 4 moms and 4 tweens. So that we can afford a play and other attractions, we're trying to make do with just 2 rooms - 1 for moms and 1 for girls. Any suggestions for hotels that might accommodate? Thanks!
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Check the various suite type hotel chains: Doubletree, Affinia's (many also have kitchens), Embassy Suites.

What is your budget?
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 02:19 PM

>>

Be prepared for sticker shock. October is high season, or at least very close.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 04:09 PM

Assuming you have no problem sharing double beds you can easily get 2 double double rooms - many hotels have them. You can;t use Priceline since they guarantee only 1 double bed - but many of the other discount sites - travelzoo.com, kayak.com., etc allows you to request a room for 2 adults.

If you give us an idea of your budget people can make specific recos - but Oct is early high season - not as bad as Thanksgiving through the end of the year - but much higher than Jan/Feb or even early spring.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 04:10 PM

Sorry - if you mean a room with 4 twin beds - I'm not aware of any hotels that offer that - although there might be a couple.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 04:13 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I really like the location and free breakfast of the Hampton Inn Times Square on 8th. The Hilton Garden Inn is another good choice not far away. We've stayed four to a room on a similar trip at the Hilton on 6th. Any of those would be great choices. There's a little deli/grocery store on the side street next to the Hilton that's great for getting sandwiches, salads, sodas, breakfast stuff, etc. On our girls' trips we often stayed out all day sight-seeing, grabbed stuff from the store for a picnic in the room, rested for a couple of hours and were ready to head out to a play.

Have fun!
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 05:46 PM

I can't imagine many hotels being ok with 4 "tweens" sharing a room with no supervision. I don't think you want to do this either. You should rethink this plan. You might want to consider staying just outside Manhattan if a room/suite in Manhattan is over budget. What airport are you using or are you driving?
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 06:15 PM

My husband and I also recommend the Hampton Inn Times Square North. We stayed there in August, 2009 and again in November 2010. We will definitely be going back to that hotel. We recommended it to another family and they stayed there last month. You can join the Hilton Honors program and earn hotel points. Both times we had rooms overlooking the street. It was so much fun keeping the curtains opened all night and looking out at all the commotion. It is directly across the street from the Cosmic Diner restaurant, which was fun and inexpensive. Sometimes we parked our rental car there, but it costs $40. It is VERY convenient to drop off and pick up your car though. The continental breakfast and cookies in the lobby are a nice touch. The hotel is EXTREMELY close to everything. You just walk block and you are in the theatre district, if that is important to you. It is very close to Rockefeller Center. Make sure you go to the "Top of the Rock". It is better than going to the Empire State Bldg. We loved New York. If you have a rental car, make sure you drive through central park. If you take the horse carriage, you will be overwhelmed by the horse smell. Also we recommend the Gray Line tour company and the Hop-on, Hop-off busses. You can pick the tours up real close to the Hampton Inn. Enjoy! Elaine, Mission Viejo, Ca.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 07:19 PM

The Shelburne (an Affinia hotel) has 1 bedroom suites with 2 queens in the bedroom and a pullout sofa in the living room. I believe many of the other Affinia's have the same.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 03:36 AM

mclaurie -

My beau and I have traveled extensively with his daughters when they were tweens and teens - and they always had their own room. Connecting with ours if possible - or at least on the same floor. And none of the hotels ever had any problem with it. But- they were fairly sophisticated and knew how to behave in public.

Granted 4 tweens/teens nowhere near the moms might be an issue - esp if the girls are rambunctious - but if they are well-behaved there shouldn't be any problem. (And I've been tormented a couple of times by kids who were staying IN the same room as their parents - who sent them out into the hotel hallways to play. THAT was a problem.)
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi all - thanks much for the advice. Our budget is $300 a night per room. The girls are all well-seasoned travelers and well-behaved (sometimes more so than the moms!) but of course we would keep them near us. We're also looking into apts on VRBO as an option. I hadn't heard of Affinia and will check them out. I appreciate your help!
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 06:28 AM

You may want to look at this thread before booking anything through VRBO in Manhattan:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...gal-in-nyc.cfm
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 07:37 AM

You might be able to get a 1 bedroom suite at the Embassy Suites in the financial district with 2 double beds and a sofabed for around that price if you prepay and make it non-refundable. Do a search on kayak.com for best prices. It's one of the few hotels that includes a full cooked breakfast in the room rate for even better value.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 08:20 AM

Based on what I see in Kayak for a room for 4 on that weekend, Embassy Suites is by far the best bet for under $300. That is high season, so prices are way up there. Embassy Suites is not in the main midtown hotel area, but the location is quiet, safe and on the Hudson river, walkable to many sights and neighborhoods in lower Manhattan, and away from the commotion and noise of times square.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 09:42 AM

Affinia 50...large rooms w/ kitchen
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 04:31 PM

A lot of hotels are showing no availability or extra high prices due to the holiday. If you're willing to go to the upper west side the Newton (basic but reliable) has double queens (2 queen beds for 4 people) for about $325 per night. The neighborhood is great - very handy to central park, museums and on top of the subway to reach the rest of the city.