Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for $200. PER NIGHT Georgetown Hotel with PARKING , NEAR METRO...THANKS!!!

Search

Looking for $200. PER NIGHT Georgetown Hotel with PARKING , NEAR METRO...THANKS!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2018, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! Thanks for your help!!! We are seniors looking for an affordable Georgetown hotel, relatively close to the university, near a metro station, and with complimentary parking. IMPOSSIBLE????
Old May 14th, 2018, 05:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Leaning in the direction of impossible I am sorry to say.

The two closest metro stations to the university are Foggy Bottom and Rosslyn which are 25-30 walks away. Georgetown itself is a highly congested area for car traffic.

Complimentary parking is relatively unheard of at hotels in the city or close into the city. The ones that do tend to be on the lower end of the price scale which might meet your $ requirement. They won't, however, be in or near Georgetown Univ.

Prices for hotels in DC fluctuate with events, business and tourism. I think commencement is late this week and this weekend and if this is the reason for your trip, you'll be hard pressed to find a $200 room.

Can you budge on some of your criteria?
Old May 14th, 2018, 05:52 AM

I think impossible too, for the same reasons. Especially the parking. But your budget seems low for Georgetown to begin with.

i think something’s got to give, and I’d probably get ditch the parking requirement.
Old May 14th, 2018, 07:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You might consider staying in Rosslyn, VA, just across the Key Bridge from Georgetown. You would probably want to take a taxi to the university, however.
Old May 14th, 2018, 07:46 AM

Agree with above. Do google the DC circulator bus and see if that gives you more flexibility. I didn't read the link below carefully, but hope it helps.

//transportation.georgetown.edu/Public-Transportation
Old May 14th, 2018, 08:01 AM

Your definition is impossible. Georgetown is in a section of DC that was essentially inaccessible for building Metro lines (the engineering and station excavation costs would have been enormous even in the '70s, and far worse now - Georgetown is on an elevated plateau which would have required deep tunneling methods, the rest of the Metro is nowhere near as far from the surface). For that reason, Georgetown has no Metro rail lines in the vicinity as obxgirl noted above.
Old May 14th, 2018, 08:04 AM

Fascinating. I didn’t realize that was the reason- I thought it was just one of those weird quirks you sometimes see in transit systems.
Old May 14th, 2018, 09:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's ONE viewpoint:https://ggwash.org/view/75/georgetow...ked-metro-stop
Here's another: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.6c4fd1b6a3d5
Those of us who actually knew Mrs. Hinton also know what kind of power she had

To the OP: FORGET IT and listen to the folks above about a hotel and parking and get ready to walk or take a cab, especially uphill to the school OR stay at the Georgetown University Hotel and Conference Center
Old May 14th, 2018, 09:44 AM

Now, that’s the story I had heard before, and it made sense to me because that’s still an argument (at least out here) I hear frequently. I can believe they protested something they weren’t going to get too, that’s just the way the Mrs. Hinton’s of the world think.

I’m not sure if Georgetown has really been spared the trampling masses, though. I mean there’s a Sephora and J. Crew, not to mention many others, and I feel that once Sephora has moved in, the neighborhood has lost all claims to exclusivity
Old May 14th, 2018, 10:18 AM

Georgetown was like the town I lived in for years before moving back to the city -- for years there were no chain stores and it was upscale and lovely. Then the chain stores invaded, and while it's still a lovely town, it is no longer unique.
Old May 14th, 2018, 01:03 PM

The Fairfax at Embassy Row, 2100 Massachusetts Avenue NW, is a few blocks from the DuPont Circle metro station. We have stayed there a few times with their AAA rate, which includes free parking. Rates for a standard room may be below your price point, depending on factors mentioned above by obxgirl. Once the car is in the garage, we use either metro or taxi and just do not cope with DC traffic and parking.
Old May 14th, 2018, 01:49 PM

I've also stayed at the Fairfax at Embassy Row. Although it isn't the 5* hotel I imagine it once was, it's very comfortable, our room was very large, and the location is great (but it is a 25 minute [but really nice] walk into Georgetown proper).
Old May 14th, 2018, 02:58 PM

Hi, I am also wondering if you are going for commencements. If so, your budget is way too low and that is true for many university towns and neighborhoods in America. They are smart and they raise their rates for Family Weekend, Commencement, Freshman Move-In, etc.

If it is not commencement, and you want to be near the university, the place where we stayed 6 years ago is now a Kimpton. It is called the Kimpton Glover Plaza and it is further out on Wisconsin.

The property looks gorgeous now, much nicer than when we stayed there. On Travelocity, I am seeing it's about $260/night for the random summer dates I picked. But hotel rates can vary--check your actual dates. Parking is $35/night. Also, I notice the hotel still offers the free shuttle to the university and to the Metro stop. Maybe between the shuttle, the Metro and an occasional Uber you wouldn't need to rent a car?
Old May 14th, 2018, 05:08 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
You should be able to get under that price using Hotwire, but not with the free parking.