What to do in Barcelona prior to Barcelona Marathon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2018, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all - I'm excited for an upcoming trip to Barcelona to run the Barcelona Marathon on Sunday March 11. We will be arriving in BCN on Friday around noon - I'm looking for some suggestions on activities to do Friday afternoon and all day Saturday. We need to avoid an excessive amount of walking and waiting in long lines just to keep the legs fresh. Any suggestions for a tour or activity that will allow us to experience the city but in a more relaxing way? E-bike tour? Hop on/off tourist bus? If nothing comes to mind, maybe just "absolute must do in Barcelona during a short visit" suggestions would be great.
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 05:00 PM
kja

Sounds like you would do well to consult a decent guidebook or two! The cost will be minimal in comparison to the cost of your trip, you will have a wealth of information to decide what YOU want to see and experience with your time, and you will find answers to questions you don't even know to ask.

Unfortunately, NONE of us can tell you want YOU would find an "absolute must do in Barcelona during a short visit."

Good luck, and good luck with your marathon!
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 06:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
The hop on/off bus in Barcelona is a pretty good idea. There are several routes, and the sites are pretty spread out over a large area.
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 08:21 AM

I think the hopon/off bus is a great idea, also. Barcelona is a very large city, actually, and the bus covers areas not that easy/quick to get to and they are rather scenic. It's a pleasant ride, so you go up north and then by the monastery and then to Parc Montjuic, etc. And weather is usually good for viewing. Also, I enjoy seeing things from a different perspective than on the street or in the metro, for sure.
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 09:06 AM

Unless it's raining... this is fun (unless you have an issue with driving)
GoCar Barcelona
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 09:27 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
The hop on/off red route will take you by the start and finish line of the marathon I believe, but more importantly it will take you up to the Olympic Stadium where the 1992 Olympic marathon ended (women’s winning time 2:32). The stadium is in a very pretty area. And perhaps you will be inspired!
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 09:38 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
PS - across the street from the stadium and down through the trees you will find the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya. On the front steps you can look out over most of the city. A gorgeous view.
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 01:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
One of my favorite sites in Barcelona is the Barcelona City History Museum, which gives access to the underground ruins of the ancient Roman city. Very well done.

I also enjoyed the Maritime Museum in the medieval shipyards.