Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Philadelphia/DC in late June, possibly 4th of July?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2018, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had been considering a short trip to SF or San Diego this summer.

And then I was googling the Mutter because I was trying to explain phrenology skulls to a friend, and the Museum has decided to put on a special exhibit about Victorian hair art. Say whaaaaat. It leaves July 18. I could go in late June and hopefully I could score a pass for National Museum of African American History for the same period. Also of interest is the Philadelphia Museum of Art; I was reminded that I hadn't been when Kja mentioned it in the SOS thread.

So this brings up a few issues. I can go the week before, of, or after the 4th. For those who have been to Philadelphia and DC the week of the 4th, would you go again? If not- would you pick the week before or the week after?

How about weather? I've been to DC in March and August, but not June. As hot as August? Hotter? Drier or wetter? I'm a bit tempted to go to Williamsburg for a few days, because while I've been to Historic Williamsburg once, it was a long time ago, and I've never been to Busch Gardens. But if the weather is like August, I'd probably stick to air conditioned museums in the city.

Any tips on getting timed tickets for NMAAH? I'm assuming I should buy ahead rather than try walk up day of?

Any favorite museums or historic sites you'd recommend? Last time someone recommended Hillwood and I absolutely loved that. I've been to most of the Smithsonian's. I was only in Philadelphia for a few nights so I've seen a lot less there than in DC. Any great walking or biking tours or anything that would be specific to that time of year? When I've been to DC in the summer, it's always been on someone else's time schedule. So I saw mostly the main tourist attractions. I've been to Baltimore and don't plan to include that this trip. I visited Old Town Alexandria last time as well. I'd love to visit Gettysburg, but I think that's probably also a situation where a rental car would be necessary? Is that a better day trip from Philadelphia or DC? Does it matter?

As always, love food, museums of all kinds, bookshops, being on the water, and biking. I'm in the mood for art galleries, unique house museums or medical museums especially. I've obviously been to the Mutter, and and I've also been to the Staebler Leadbeater. Any other ideas?

Trip is probably no more than a week to 10 days long. 4 nights in Philly, 3 nights DC. May only do Philly. The only reason I'm really thinking DC is that it is usually where I'd be flying into.

It's driving me crazy, but I'm nearly positive I went to a house museum last time that had several excellent Dutch paintings, and I know someone here suggested it. I don't remember what it was, though, but I do remember that very few of the original furnishings left were these really ostentatious Asian dragon metal pieces that either no one coveted or were too heavy to remove from the house. I seem to remember dark wood work. Any ideas? (I may be wrong, but I don't think it was Hillwood. It really was more gallery style- the emphasis was on the art. Hillwood was more about its owner. I checked my trip report. No mention, but I could swear it was that trip. I loved the Dutch paintings though and would like to go back and enjoy those again.) I'm pretty sure it was Gilded Age era- the online pictures of Heurich House reminds me of it. Maybe it's Heurich, or maybe I've transposed the dutch paintings on my memories of Heurich. I think Heurich was the one that wasn't very interesting other than some really dubious choices on the part of the decorator- possibly because it was actually the family's second home?Dumbarton Oaks looks familiar but I don't remember the lush garden pictures all over the internet..but perhaps that's because it was in March. However, if it helps, I'm nearly positive it must have been in DC. I need to take better notes, apparently...Anyway. Oh Amazing Fodorites, I beseech thee...
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 10:37 PM
kja

Philadelphia is one of my favorite cities in which to experience the 4th! I far prefer it to DC’s celebration – JMO. I find the DC celebrations too concentrated in time (too many at once, and not just at the finale); too loud, unless you have access to one of the few viewing spots from a distance; and a PITA to try to leave, unless you staying within easy walking distance of the Mall. In contrast, I remember watching the Philadelphia fireworks from a bank of the Schuylkill near the Philadelphia Museum of Art -- a place that gave me a glorious view of very nicely paced fireworks, without the deafening booms, and without being smashed in among others.

That said, if you can manage the heat (and either city can be hot and humid at that time of year), neither would be a bad choice IMO. Check climate statistics in any decent guidebook, or on timeanddate.com or wunderground.com

There are TONS of wonderful museums in each city. For museums with a medical twist, you might consider that National Museum of Health and Medicine (I haven't been there, so I'm not offering a personal rec).

BTW, I’m pretty sure that what you are describing with the Dutch paintings and iron stuff is NOT the Hillwood, and it doesn’t sound to me like the Dumbarton Oaks, either. Not sure what it was....

And another BTW – I hope you saw, and accepted, the apology I offered on the thread about the new format? I’d like to think we’re squared away….
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 11:43 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kja
Philadelphia is one of my favorite cities in which to experience the 4th! I far prefer it to DC’s celebration – JMO. I find the DC celebrations too concentrated in time (too many at once, and not just at the finale); too loud, unless you have access to one of the few viewing spots from a distance; and a PITA to try to leave, unless you staying within easy walking distance of the Mall. In contrast, I remember watching the Philadelphia fireworks from a bank of the Schuylkill near the Philadelphia Museum of Art -- a place that gave me a glorious view of very nicely paced fireworks, without the deafening booms, and without being smashed in among others.

That said, if you can manage the heat (and either city can be hot and humid at that time of year), neither would be a bad choice IMO. Check climate statistics in any decent guidebook, or on timeanddate.com or wunderground.com

There are TONS of wonderful museums in each city. For museums with a medical twist, you might consider that National Museum of Health and Medicine (I haven't been there, so I'm not offering a personal rec).

BTW, I’m pretty sure that what you are describing with the Dutch paintings and iron stuff is NOT the Hillwood, and it doesn’t sound to me like the Dumbarton Oaks, either. Not sure what it was....

And another BTW – I hope you saw, and accepted, the apology I offered on the thread about the new format? I’d like to think we’re squared away….
I'm leaning towards Philadelphia for the 4th, because the Mall doesn't sound like fun to me, so glad to know you enjoyed the Philly fireworks. Oh, I forgot about the NMHM! Would you happen to know if it's possible to visit via transit? It was part of my plans for the trip last time, but I think I dropped it because I didn't end up renting a car.

the more I research, I'm pretty sure my memory is of two separate museums. Dubious dragons was most likely Heurich- I remember the hilarious entryway light fixtures. And Dumbarton has a Dutch Gallery so maybe that's where the paintings were. But it's bugging me that I don't remember the grounds or exterior at all. Well, on the positive side, the good thing about a terrible memory is that if I wait long enough, it's like visiting a whole new destination!

I didn't see your apology- that was one of those threads that no matter what I said, I seemed to offend you inadvertently even more- I feel like I've done that a lot lately- so I backed out and did not click on it again. Went back to check just now, and thank you for clarifying. I did not "read" the segue at all, as I'm sure you guessed from my response.

But anyway, even before I checked- you could consider it accepted and we're squared away. Bloody stupid topic to wrangle over, especially since I largely agree with your views on the new forum. vbulletin seems to delight in making life annoying. I am not even reporting bugs at this point- I just let others do it for me and check back 24 hours later. Anyway, I always enjoy your travel posts and appreciate your input in my planning!
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 03:43 AM

Loads of great attractions to visit in Philadelphia. Some possibilities:

-art and sculpture museums such as the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Barnes, the Rodin, and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts.

-the Rosenbach Museum and Library is home to loads of rare books (some of which will be on display) and a lovely historic house interior to hold them.

-the Masonic Temple is surprisingly nice inside and has a decent collection of Masonic artifacts.

-the Academy of Natural Sciences is a good place to see dinosaur fossils and other natural history related stuff.

-both the Powel House and Physick House are old historic residences worth a tour. The Edgar Allen Poe National Historic Site is sparse, but worth a pop-in especially if you are a fan of this writer.

-the Independence Seaport Museum has a nice collection of seafaring artifacts as well as some old ships outside. Seasonally (in summer mostly), you can take a water shuttle to the Camden, NJ waterfront area to see the Aquarium and Battleship New Jersey.

-the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology is excellent of its type.

-City Hall is pleasant, featuring a good viewing vantage point.

-the National Constitution Center and the Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent aren't bad. And of course there are tons of historic sites ranging from Independence Hall to the Liberty Bell to Elfreth's Alley to Christ Church to Franklin Court.

-the U.S. Mint offers tours.

-the Franklin Institute is the city's science museum. It tends to cater to kids, but is a good example of its type.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 04:27 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"and the Museum has decided to put on a special exhibit about Victorian hair art."

I'm sure parting will be such sweet sorrow.

Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 04:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To add to the museum list in Philadelphia, the relatively new Museum of the American Revolution.
Homepage | Museum of the American Revolution
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 05:24 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"To add to the museum list in Philadelphia, the relatively new Museum of the American Revolution."

Get timed tickets online.

Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 07:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
>>>Maybe it's Heurich, or maybe I've transposed the dutch paintings on my memories of Heurich. I think Heurich was the one that wasn't very interesting other than some really dubious choices on the part of the decorator- possibly because it was actually the family's second home?>>How about weather? I've been to DC in March and August, but not June. As hot as August? Hotter? Drier or wetter? I'm a bit tempted to go to Williamsburg for a few days, because while I've been to Historic Williamsburg once, it was a long time ago, and I've never been to Busch Gardens. But if the weather is like August, I'd probably stick to air conditioned museums in the city.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 07:21 AM

Now I've GOT to get back to Philadelphia! (I really loved my one weekend there a couple of years ago, and saw so little of all the things on these lists!)
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 08:23 AM

I live in the Philadelphia area, and agree that it will likely be quite warm and humid in late June/early July. That said, Independence Hall around July 4th can be very meaningful. THE place to be!
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 08:50 AM

Welcome America, Philadelphia's annual celebration with city-wide events, concerts and fireworks, runs June 28-July 4, 2018. Details of events have not yet been posted but check welcomeamerica.com as you plan.

See if the Mural Arts organization has organized tours in your timeframe or a suggested walking tour. I know they do trolley tours with commentary of several areas of the city and I believe they also do have cell phone descriptions available.

And don't miss Maxfield Parrish/Tiffany Dream Garden in the Curtis Building at 6th and Walnut.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 09:02 AM

I've been to the Health and Medicine museum, it was interesting. It is a bit tricky to get to without a car, but possible. First, it's a bit over a mile walk from the Forest Glen metro station, if you didn't mind that.

But there is a Montgomery County Rideon bus no 4 that goes there. It leaves from the Silver Spring metro station.
this is the route map. It only runs Mon-Fri
route_004%20map%20-%205_1_16.pdf

Get off on Linden Lane around address 2421 (Technical Service Park is there, also, as well as a 2story motel-looking building with some medical offices). There is a small strip mall across the street with Allen Automotive repair.

That's only about 400 feet from the museum.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 10:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
If you go to the Rosenbach, make sure you check the times for the guided tours online. The house is beautiful and worth seeing

You can also go to the Woodford Mansion.
http://woodfordmansion.org/

In D.C. Pres Wilson's house is worth a visit.

Let me know if I can help you out with anything in Williamsburg.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 10:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Ooooo, also...
At that time of the year you'll be able to take a boat ride out to Bartrams Gardens in Philly.
http://bartramsgarden.org/visit/our-welcoming-space/

Grab an Indego bike and ride along Schuylkill Banks as far as you can go.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 01:55 PM

For Williamsburg, here’s my detailed trip report from last year:

Trip report--Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, VA

BTW, Birdie has good knowledge of the area judging from her posts.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 03:51 PM

We went to Washington DC for the 4th of July in 2012. And despite the Derecho storm a few days before, we still had a great time. It was a great thing to do once as a family and I'm glad we did.

For the fireworks portion, we went to the end of the mall where the concert is on PBS. We found it to be pretty calm and orderly. One thing to remember is that the Mall itself is pretty long. If you choose the Capitol Lawn end, you are a ways from the fireworks, but as an orchestra fan, I was okay with that. There was a separate, earlier concert of military bands at the fireworks end as well. So there are choices, even within going to DC itself.

The guards allowed some of our group to stay and guard our blanket while the others went out and visited one of the museums--all of which were open all day. So when it was my turn to go out, we went and saw the Declaration of Independence at the Archives on the 4th. I don't know if the procedures are the same from year to year, so that may have changed. The concert was fun, and enjoyable that year. If you've watched them on PBS, you know the basics.

We were ready to go at the end of the fireworks and didn't spend a lot of time looking for stuff. Just moved on out. We had no problem walking to the station, and waiting our turn to get on the subway to our stop and walk to our car. It probably would have been even simpler if we could have walked to our lodgings.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much, everyone! 5alive, I’m pretty sure I remember your trip report, which is what made me consider the 4th in DC initially.

Birdie, I will definitely remember your offer when I finally decide to return to Williamsburg.

I’m tempted, but I’m still debating. I’ve had my fill of hot and humid on trips during the last two summers and I’m not sure I’m up for a third summer trip like that.