Search

AR State Parks

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AR State Parks

We have made reservations for 2 nights at Petite Jean SP the beginning of Nov. We're considering staying the 2 nights previous to this at Mt Magazine SP. Planning to hike, look at fall foliage and enjoy the peace of the mountains.

I realize the parks are quite close to each other, but from what I've read, it seems like a beautiful area. Is it foolish to stay in two places so close together or is there enough to do in each one to fill 3 days?
Old Apr 25th, 2017, 03:00 AM

I have stayed at both Petit Jean and Queen Wihelmina State Parks. They are both wonderful in different ways. The Lodge at Queen Wilhelmina had comfy rooms, good plain American food, and great views. I remember it well because we stayed there during leaf season. I haven't stayed at Magazine Mountain.

I don't think it is a mistake to stay at two places that are close together if you like backwoods exploring.

I would say that you should check the dates for deer season because you may not/do not want to get out in the woods when everybody is hunting.
Old Apr 27th, 2017, 10:07 AM

No mistake. You've chosen two quite different parks but both beautiful. We do Petit Jean as a day trip but have stayed overnight several times at Mt. Magazine in their three-bedroom cabin which is fantastic. Check out the wineries near Mt. Magazine.
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 04:24 PM

There is enough hiking in Petit Jean for 3 days at least, depending on how long you spend on each of the trails. Some trails are 3-4 hours per trail and if they are strenuous and you stop a lot for photos, relaxing or lunch it can take longer. I spent 3 days exploring and taking photos there. You can also drive to Pinnacle Mountain for 4 more hikes (2 to the top, one around the base of the mountain and a small one near the parking lot) if you want a greater variety. Bring lots of water and snacks!