Stop between Wales and Scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2017, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So there is going to be a long drive from mid-Wales (Aberaeron beat out Aberystwyth) to the Glasgow area... we will stop one (or possibly two nights) at one place on the way...I am thinking of a stop somewhere in Cumbria to take a side trip to see the Castlerigg Stone Circle. It doesn't look like it is far from the M6 by map or by AA route planner, but you just can't tell. ;-) And if you say "nay", is there somewhere else I haven't thought about. Ancient sites,medieval and Roman stuff are my main focus. We are heading to Kilmartin. We saw a bit of Hadrian's Wall outside Carlisle on the first trip. Again, you all are the best.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 01:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Stay east of Carlisle along the wall. You shoud have time to see castlerigg on tbe way and then explore some of the Wall the next morning before heading on to Glasgow
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 02:17 PM

The Lake District is also a good stop - then hit Castlerigg when leaving - in case you have not thought of it.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Do you have specific towns near Carlisle or in the Lake District in mind? Am I correct that the detour to Castlerigg is not that far from the highway?
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 05:33 AM

Ttt
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 06:13 AM

Keswick is the obvious place to stay in the Lakes if you want a couple of nights. It's a easy walk to Castlerigg from the town. Keswick is about a 30 minute drive from the M6 at Penrith.

Would you be interested in visiting two of the finest Anglo-Saxon crosses in the country?

If so, the Bewcastle Cross and Ruthwell Cross are not too far away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruthwell_Cross

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bewcastle_Cross

You will be the only people there.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 06:19 AM

Lake District and Castlerigg specific info (plus pics) ici

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...e-district.cfm
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 07:04 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You can visit castlerigg very easily and then get farther on your journey north before stopping for the night. I just think Keswick isn't far enough north. Just IMO. I assumed you just wanted one night stpping point sort of mid way - right?
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

janisj: Yes, you are correct. But if Keswick was a better stopping point, I'd do that. It is just so hard to judge when AA says the journey is 4 hours will it really will be 6 hours?.... Do you have a Carlisle area idea?

And the pictures of the Lake District look wonderful. So many beautiful destinations and so little time.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 12:24 PM

Pencil in in Keswick the town's unique Pencil Museum- redolent of the time when Keswick had a booming pencil industry:

http://www.pencilmuseum.co.uk/

Currently closed for renovations but due to open this spring.

Keswick to me was the nicest town in the Lake District I saw -nice walking trail out of town on old abandoned rail line.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 01:45 PM

Castlerigg is an easy 30 minute drive down the A66 from the M6, it's a magical place a gives you a view of the hills that no other location in the area can match.

Rheged visitor centre has very good quality cafes and food halls, it's just of the Penrith junction of the M6.

What budget do you have for accommodation ?

The George and Dragon in Penrith is very good quality as is Armathwaite Hall or The Phaesant near Keswick.

If you are going to Kilmartin do you really want to go to Glasgow?

There's a very scenic route which from Carlisle takes you through Dumfries and Galloway, Drumlanrig Castle, Ayrshire, Culzean Castle, Arran, then over to Kintyre.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 01:53 PM

Tullie House in the centre of Carlisle has a good Roman exhibition.

if you want a really magical place visit the Edward I monument to the west of Carisle on the shores of the Solway First. Edward had been fairly annoyed by our misbehaving for a decade and amassed the largest army Europe had seen for some time, with the aim of basically ethnically cleansing Scotland. Probably in. Similar fashion to the Roman's treatment of Carthage at the end of the Third Punic War.

This is where it gets poignant.

He led his army into the shallow water of the Solway, suffered a heart attack, fell off his horse and died on the spot. The monument marks the spot where he fell.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

BritishCaicos: When I said Glasgow, I meant "toward" Glasgow.I have 8 nights between Wales and our flight out of Glasgow. Must see Kilmartin. Trying to figure out the other days. I can't quite figure out the other stops. Last visit we had a brief stop at Carlisle and saw a wee bit of the wall.I'm going to have to look up your info. Thank you!
Old Mar 18th, 2017, 04:26 AM

How about the Borders Abbeys en route to Glasgow and Stirling and its fab castle?
Old Mar 18th, 2017, 01:21 PM

It's a tough shout.

By any measure Wales isn't easy to get out of.

The A483 north of Welshpool becomes a faster road, after Wrexham it's fast to the M6 but that's when the problems can start.

If you are intending to make Keswick from Mid Wales in a day then it's going to be a long day. The M56/ M6 between Chester and Preston can be fairly clear but attempting it at rush hour can be really hard work. It may add an hour onto your journey time. The M6 north of Preston is usually fairly clear and easy driving.

If you are dead set on Kilmartin then you have much driving to do. The issue becomes whether you spend lots of leisurely time getting up to Kilmartin and then treat that as your most northerly stop or drive straight up to Kilmartin and then explore.

Where have you seen on previous trips?

Can you cope with long slog drives for say 3 days in a row?
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

"By any measure Wales isn't easy to get out of." LOL!
And the Romans spent so much effort to keep them out!

Here is my current thought: Aberaeron to Penrith for the night. Either drive out to Castlerigg that evening or the next morning before heading north. I have totally recalculated and am now thinking of going to Arran then the Kilmartin area (learning about the ferries on the way!)before looping back to Loch Lomond and then the airport at Glasgow.

My last Scottish trip was lots of one night stops, but the driver won't have much of that this time. We will stop for three nights in Arran and Kilmartin area and drive around, etc. Possible?

My reference material includes: AA route planner, CAMRA real ale pub locator, Undiscovered Scotland, and Fodor's. ;-)
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 09:48 AM

Treating Kilmartin as your most Northerly stop makes much sense. You could lose weeks in the highlands.

What time of year are you travelling? just wondering about day light hours available.

Mid Wales to Penrith is fine. Stopping near Keswick may make more sense if you are set on Castlerigg. I'd spend the day in the area, Derwentwater is beautiful and there are many easy walks round the lake. From the Lakes, I'd drive to Carlise down the A75 toward Dumfries, try to get to Caerlaverock castle. Head north towards Ayr, possibly stop at Drumlanrig castle. Take the ferry from Ardrossen to Arran then the ferry to Kintyre. It's then a relatively short drive up to Kilmartin.

That's a good route, the split between the nights is very flexible.
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, BritishCaicos. It's late May, lots of light, correct?