A day in Balestrand

Search

A day in Balestrand

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2016, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A day in Balestrand

I will be spending two nights in Balestrand in late May. I arrive at 16:55 on a Tuesday on the express boat from Flåm (leaving on the train from Oslo early that morning), and I depart on Thursday morning at 7:50 on the express boat to Bergen. (I've already purchased tickets).

I love to hike, and looking forward to exploring the area on foot, but I don't know if I can spend the entire day hiking in and around Balestrand, and I'm wondering if I should plan to rent a car for the day to take a drive. And if I do that, can someone recommend a round-trip drive from Balestrand that would take me to some great scenic spots where I could get out and and do some short hikes?

Since I'll have a lot of daylight, I figure I'll have plenty of time to explore when I arrive on Tuesday evening as well as all day Wednesday. Just trying to determine how to make the best use of my time.

Thanks!
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 05:20 PM

I did a tour of the Fjaerland Fjord up to Mundal and visited the glacier and ice museum. The ferry ( very small ) trip up was excellent. We only saw one other boat, a small wooden fishing boat. I really enjoyed the ice museum. You could also visit the Stave church at Urnes another ferry trip but very short. Have a look at the following websites.

www.visitflam.com
www. Balestrand.net
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 05:46 PM

Sorry that should be www.balestrand.net
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you historytraveler.

Unfortunately, some of the ferries don't start running until June, including, as far as I can tell, the cruise from Balestrand to Fjaerland. That is why I'm considering a car rental for the day, and trying to figure out whether that's worthwhile and if so, what circular route to take starting and ending in Balestrand.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 09:42 AM

Look at a roadmap - you don't have much choice! Unless you want to spend the whole day behind the wheel with no stops. These are slow winding country roads so don't expect to average any more than 50 - 60 km/hr and allow extra time for any ferries. Note that GoogleMaps won't allow you to drive some of the tourist routes now that are currently closed for winter.
http://en.sognefjord.no
http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you dyoll. That second link has exactly what I was looking for. I think the Gaularfjellet route looks ideal.

The other option I've been looking at is to head toward Solvorn and catch the ferry across to Ornes. But I have plenty of time to do more research before I make up my mind.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 05:07 PM

I just read your post. I have been looking for directions to Balestrand from Bergen without success. So glad to hear there is express ferry between Bergen and Balestrand. That might work for me if I get flight to Bergen. How often do ferries run to Balestrand? I plan taking short hikes in scenic areas and want to see fjords and enjoy some short journeys taking day trips staying in Balestrand to avoid having to switch hotels carrying luggage. I plan travel to Norway in August so hope I can arrange it. I will not be renting car and need to be close to areas with public transportation. Was told it takes at least 4 hrs. from Bergen to Balestrand by road. Thanks for any help.