Search

Italy from end of Jan to beginning of Feb

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy from end of Jan to beginning of Feb

Hi everyone,

I am happy to join the forums finally, though I've been reading a lot here and I very appreciate everyone's comments!

We are planning a trip to Italy for about 10 days, from end of January to beginning of February (2016).

We are looking for colorful towns to wander around their streets, their markets, absorb their views.

Venice and Verona are two of the towns we'd like to visit.

I can't seem to find other towns that aren't that far away, though we'd rent a car if needed.

I thought of Florence, but looking at the photos taken there, it looks pretty mono-colored where the grayish concrete dominates.

I read that Garda lake surrounding towns are quite abandoned during the winter, or perhaps I was missing something?

Are there similar towns as Venice and Verona which you could recommend?

Thank you very much.
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
It should have been assigned to the Italy forum.
Hopefully one of the managers could tag it
Thank you.
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 12:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Hi, It should have been assigned to the Italy forum.
Hopefully one of the managers could tag it<<

catj -- apparently it has been tagged . . . but just so you know, there is no 'Italy Forum'. There is a Europe forum where someone can tag a thread for Italy, or the UK or whatever, or not. But in any case all the threads are lumped together the same "Europe" board.

Nothing 'concrete' about Florence. It will be as colorful as anyplace during winter. Does this look monochrome/concrete http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/tim...ence-italy.jpg But in Jan/Feb you aren't likely to get a gorgeous day like that photo.

Venice is beautiful of course, but it can have high water and be very damp in Jan/Feb.
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 12:12 PM

Catj,
There is no Italy forum. You are in the right forum. You could have tagged it Italy, but you are OK with what you did.

There are two beautiful towns near Venice. One is Vicenza and the other Padua.
IMHO, Florence is also absolutely beautiful and lovely for walking. Plus it is filled with beautiful churches and art museums, so plenty to do inside when it is cold, or you get bored walking around.

From Florence, you could take a bus to Sienna, which has a gorgeous central Piazza del campo or the train to Lucca which is especially nice for walking.

In winter, I would consider Rome, and yes, I know it is a big city and not nearby Venice or Verona. I recommend it because there is so much to do inside in the city, even if it is cold outside.

Other posters like Sandralist, who live in Italy, will be able to offer you more ideas.
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 12:24 PM

Hi!

You are very observant to have that reaction to Florence. It can be very austere in appearance. However, in the glorious low winter light of Tuscany on a sunny day, Florence (and in particular the Arno River) GLOWS with orange, yellow, pink. Winter is actually more colorful in that sense than high summer.

But:

Take a look at pictures of red Bologna. It really is red. And the archways that cover most of the streets (great for winter) have painted ceilings.

From colorful Bologna you have the great advantage of being able to easily visit by train Parma (ever heard of the paint color Parma Yellow? The town buildings are mainly that yellow) and the buildings have pink granite (from Verona) and a riot of color indoors. You can also take a train to Ravenna, which is most famous for its dazzlingly colorful mosaics indoors -- which are a color-fiend's thrill of a lifetime -- and it also has handsome town buildings painted many pleasant tones that also glow in the low winter sunlight. From Bologna, you can also do a day trip to Florence by train, 45 minutes away -- but stay until sunset and have a cocktail on the roof bar of the Excelsior.

If Bologna doesn't appeal to you, take a look at pictures of Arezzo in Tuscany. It is easy to visit Florence from there by train. While you are in Arezzo, if the weather is dry, you can rent a car in town and go off to the Chianti countryside. The Tuscany countryside around Chianti is quite green in winter, and again, the low light makes for fantastic painterly scenes.

Lago di Garda is much too cold at that time. If you don't mind the risk of snow and biting winds, a day trip from Verona to Trento would have nice color on a sunny day, especially if you also visit the Buonconsiglio castle there and go up to the Eagle's tower. Trento is a one-hour train ride from Verona.

As for Venice, be sure to go to Burano if you like color -- and most especially go to Burano if Venice is foggy and overcast, which will make the town look gray. Don't know when Carnevale is next year in Venice, but it is plenty colorful.

Sorry it is the wrong time of year to go to the Italian Riviera. It is the most colorful place in Italy, but the risk of bad coastal storms at that time of year is just too high to recommend it. Next trip!
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 12:47 PM

Here is someone's blog page who visited Bologna and loved the red hues (sorry the pictures take a bit long to load)

http://www.adventurouskate.com/bolog...om-a-red-city/

And here is the via Farini in Bologna, where the archways have painted ceilings (they are not the only archways like that)

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/bolog...g-39165763.jpg

and here is Parma (50 mins. by train from Bologna)

http://www.aboutromania.com/Parma1.jpg

Ravenna (1.5hr from Bologna)

http://www.settimanadelbuonvivere.it...enna-Italy.jpg

Ravenna's mosaics (and there many like this, in all colors)

http://travelwithkat.com/wp-content/...-810-x-540.jpg

Arezzo
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...t_1923379b.jpg

The Chianti wine country in February:

http://blog.studentsville.it/wp-cont...9.48.02-PM.png
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 12:55 PM

Catj,
Those are fantastic suggestions from Sandralist. Burano certainly will not be gray.
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 01:08 PM

Here is a blog from someone who was in Chianti in January. Above, I included a link to a picture of Chianti in February, but then I realized it might not have actually been taken in February, so this is better I think:

http://www.pawsontheroad.com/2012/chiantishire-life/

However, you can also get snow at that time of year -- turning everything pure white -- not colorful and not advisable for driving. In general it is best to plan to be in the cities during the time of year you are going, and only plan an excursion to the countryside if you know for sure you'll have sunshine all day.
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 02:38 PM

I forgot to give you some pictures of colorful Trento, a one-hour fast train from Verona with dramatic mountain scenery most of the way. The town buildings around the main piazza are painted colorfully. It's a small town. Visit the castle and its tower:

http://in-luxembourg.blogspot.it/201...nto-italy.html
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 04:22 PM

If you choose not to go to Florence that's fine - but you seem to know very little about it.

It's not made of concrete - nothing was made of concrete when the historic area of Florence was built - it's stone and a lot of it is marble. And Florence is actually very colorful - with many of the roofs being red. And agree that the sunlight shining off the buildings and the river can be glorious - never mind the world class art in several of the museums.

(And please don;t think that you're seeing concrete in Venice either. Although the Romans did make some larger structures of concrete - Coloseum, Pantheon, etc - many historic buildings are made from cut stone with sometimes stucco facings on them.
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 08:01 PM

But people here are being quite unfair to catj and nytraveler is the one who doesn't appear to know much about Florence for all her pretentiousnes and scolding.

The artists and architects of the Renaissance took their insporation from classical Greece, and they were unaware that the Greeks painted their temples and statues. It was quite deliberate on the part of Renaissance architects to foresake any reliance on brilliant color for beauty and instead emphasize the formal beauty of proportion. It is a signature feature of the Renaissance -- which in Italian means the "rebirth" of the classic forms of antiquity.

One of the most striking first impressions of Florence for many people is how austere many of the Renaissance structures are that are made of dull-toned stone. If their expectations of Italy have come from seeing pictures of exotic Orient-influenced Venice or flamboyant Rome, the restrained rectilinear palazzi of Florence, built to project the solidity of wealth and the sobriety of commerce, is a surprise.

I don't know what photos of Florence catj saw, but if they were street level photos of the historic center, a great many buildings are not made of marble -- only a handful of churches are -- and there are many plain facades made f dark stone or ordinary stucco. There is even plenty of concrete hitting you right in the face when you arrive in Florence around Santa Maria Novella.

What is drawing catj to Italy is color -- and that is neither insenstive or ignorant. I live in the most colorful part of Italy for a reason: I love to be surrounded by color. Had she simply written: 'I'm looking for colorful towns in Italy to walk around. I'm really an outdoors person, not much interested in museums, more like markets, and I've seen pictures of Italy, and it just looks so colorful. Where are the best towns to go for that?" -- would anybody seriously have answered "Florence!" -- ???

But she made the mistake of mentioning Florence doesn't look very colorful in pictures -- and the truth is that compared to other cities in Italy, it's not. Quit pushing her to go to Florence for the "color" or trying to put her down for speaking of grey concrete instead of grey stone just to make yourself feel "superior". If you're from New York, like Donald Trump, we all know already you're superior and have all the answers. (Gag.)
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 09:21 PM

Thank you
We will be there in February
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 12:01 AM
Original Poster

Ciao tutti!

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and your amazing responses! this information is so valuable to me!

I am reading now on all the towns that you have mentioned!

again, thanks a lot!

Regarding Florence, I'll consider it again, though we are less interested in museums and churches, and are fond of outdoors.

sandralist, wow, your knowledge of Italy is amazing, thank you.

Thank you janisj, Sassafrass and sandralist
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 12:10 AM

If you plan on being in Venice in February, I hope you are aware that this is the height of the Carnival season. In 2016, that would be the last week in January and the first week in February.

If that is the reason you plan on being in Venice at that time, have fun!
If you are not aware of it, then decide on the dates you want to be in Venice, and find a hotel immediately.
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much.

I wasn't aware that the customs carnival takes place from Jan 23 to Feb 9, these are the dates we wanted to travel to Italy.

Would you suggest to arrive in Venice before Jan 23, and at Jan 23 leave for our next stop, which would be Verona?

I am afraid we might not manage to plan the trip by then, but we'll try.
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 04:29 AM

Sandralist, you are fast returning to your nasty treatment of other posters. No matter how knowledgable you are, it is often ruined by your insistence that you know more than anyone else. Please stop being so hard on those who have something to contribute.
I apologize to the OP for going off topic.
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 05:20 AM

ME?

Did you actually read the putdowns of the OP in this thread by people other than me? Why don't you have the principles to correct them, and apologize to the OP for trying to get me out of her thread when I was the only person who credited her with correct observation and offered real solutions.

You cannot blame the OP like nytraveler snottily tried to do for leaning toward a conclusion from looking a guidebooks that Florence was a grey concrete city compared with other destinations in Italy.

Look at this iconic view of Florence:

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&...italy&src=typd

and now look at Parma

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&...italy&src=typd

Which is the one that looks like it might be gray concrete?

You mamacalice have put dozens and dozens of posts on Fodor's boosting Florence and telling other people not to go to other destiantions in Italy, It's your pet, your hobbyhorse, like London is janisj's -- and both of you are happy to misrepresent the cities to people trying to figure where to go to enjoy their European trips, since it will be costing them money, not you.

You don't even have the honesty to admit that's why you attacked me in this thread: Because I agreed with the poster. She's right! Florence is NOT a colorful streetscape.

As for pointing out nytraveler is unhelpful and uninformed, l really am so glad Donald Trump is everybody's face every day so that people finally realize just how many self-aggrandizing well-heeled New Yorkers there are who think what goes on in the aging block between their ears is God's own truth, when they are really just making prize A's of themselves in public, for all their pretense at class.
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 05:38 AM

Just for the record, in a very recent thread I posted that I consider Florence the most beautiful city in Europe, more beautiful than Paris. So I am not against Florence, where I frequently since I live in Italy. It is certainly my favorite city in Italy.

However, I am not about to lie to somebody and tell them it is a colorful place to wander the streets if that is what they are looking for.

But I am glad mamacalice's desire to be disingenuously nasty called me back to the this thead, because I enjoy posting pictures of grey Florence vs colorful towns in Italy

Like this street in Florence

http://ink361.com/app/users/ig-57157...4025_571575249

as opposed to this street in Verona

http://iflynonstop.com/wp-content/up...zo-584x440.jpg

Pictures are worth a thousand words, so maybe the posters here who want to show the colorful side of Florence (it exists) should put up and shut up!
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 12:11 PM

CATJ:
Many many people go to Venice in February to be part of the carnival. It's all a matter of personal taste. My wife and I generally avoid them at any cost. When we were younger, I guess we took in a carnival or 2.

We have never been to Venice during carnival so it's hard for me to give you any advice. I would imagine that the earlier the better, but the important thing is that things will be hectic, prices will be higher, and hotels will fill up.

If you want to avoid the carnival, go as early as you can. If you want to take part, you have the schedule online.
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot!

We'd definitely avoid the carnival, the large crowd and the high prices.

I am not sure if I can plan an entire 10-day trip to Venice, Verona, and the other destinations before the 23rd.

I am now researching it.

Cheers!