Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Northern Italy in December. Help narrowing choices.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2015, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I will be visiting northern Italy for 8 nights in December. Specifically, The northern region. We will start with Venice for 3-4 nights. Any tips on must eats or restaurants? What about hotels?

Mainly we are are trying to pick between the following areas for the remaining 4 nights.: Emilia Romagna (specifically Bologna), Verona, Turin, OR Florence/Tuscany region. They all offer different things I know. We want to experience the food, see some art, and enjoy the beauty, but be able to get around easily. Also we don't really want to be in an extremely crowded location and want to be in safer areas.

Also, any Christmas festivities or markets to see this time of year (dec 1-10)?

Any help is appreciated greatly.
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 04:02 AM

For hotel and restaurant recs, you're going to have to give your budget for each.

One possible itinerary after Venice would be to take a train to Verona in the a.m., spend the day, then train to Florence that night. Use Florence as a base to do the city and take one or two day trips, to Siena or other Tuscany towns. There's a direct bus to Siena. You'd have to hire a guide or rent a car to visit the other towns.
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 04:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Early December is not a busy time for tourism in most of northern Italy, with the big cities, Venice-Bologna-Florence being a possible exception. However, none of them will be extremely crowded at that time. Turin is way over to the west and is IMO not a great place to visit unless you're in to football and a Juventus or Torino fan!

With only four nights I think I'd stay in Florence or Bologna and day trip via train to the other.Verona and Florence both have Christmas markets I think.
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 04:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bologna at least offers you miles of covered walking so if it rains you can seek shelter. It is also a good train hub so easy to access Ferrara, Modena, Padua, Ravenna, Parma etc etc and the food is good too.
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 05:03 AM

If you haven't been to Florence, I would choose that lovely city in a minute. It is great to take day trips but, honestly, there is plenty to do in the city. A day trip to the Tuscan countryside is easy but that time of year, you may wish to stay in Florence, depending on the weather.
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. If we stay in Verona, are there any must stay at bed and breakfasts or hotels you could recommend? What about restaurants?
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 05:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You still haven't stated a lodging budget.

We had a great stay at the Hotel Bologna near the Arena. It has a good restaurant which doubles as the breakfast room, and breakfast was better than average. There are many other restaurants within a couple of blocks. But there's no parking that I'm aware of and it's not near the train station, so whether it's a good recommendation depends on your plans. And, again, your budget.

http://www.hotelbologna.vr.it/
Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Our hotel budget is around $200-$250 per night. Any good recommendations?
Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know why Rubicund is putting down Turin. I just spent five nights there and enjoyed myself, and I am certainly not a football fan. Click on my name for my current TR that includes Turin, or do a search - there was a very detailed TR that included Turin last fall. I like Ferrara if you're looking for somewhere near Venice, good food and you can day trip to the wonderful mosaics in Ravenna.
Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 11:40 PM

Turin is a great city, and I don't follow football at all. However, if you haven't seen much of Florence, this is your chance to enjoy the city without the hordes.
Old Oct 25th, 2015, 03:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not putting Turin down. if you're in the area it may well be worth a visit. However, to drag all the way over there from Verona, Tuscany or Bologna is not IMO a good use of time.

If you're into fast cars it's worth a visit too, otherwise it has a few churches and galleries that offer little different from the better known places like Florence etc.
Old Oct 25th, 2015, 07:12 AM

Back to your hotel budget. You said you were traveling with your family. Children? Adults? What kind of room are you looking for? A family room? If so, sleeping how many kids?
Old Oct 25th, 2015, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@Rubicund - have you actually BEEN to Turin, because it sure doesn't sound like it? "A few churches and galleries"? How about the best Egyptian museum outside Cairo? How about a well regarded museum of the cinema and as well as the Fiat museum? How about a small but excellent Asian museum? How about a number of beautiful and historic cafes, not to mention good restaurants? And far fewer tourists than Florence at any time of year.

See this TR: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...n-of-italy.cfm

But I agree that it would probably make more sense to stay in the east.
Old Oct 25th, 2015, 02:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Torino ~~ chocolate. Some of the best in the world.