Hotels in Hallstatt and St. Gilgen, Austria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are making plans for a summer trip to Austria and are trying to decide on hotels.
Has anyone stayed recently at the Gruner Baum in Hallstatt?
The views look wonderful, but ratings on the internet have been somewhat low.
In contrast, the reviews of Hotel Heritage are high - can anyone tell us about the views?
We would appreciate comments from anyone who has stayed in either
of these hotels during the last year.

What about suggestions for a hotel with a very good view in St. Gilgen?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 07:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
In Hallstatt, I stayed at Brau Gasthof. The room was nice (with a gorgeous painted armoir and wooden beamed ceilings) and a comfy bed and a tiny bathroom (very typical). The view from my balcony of the lake was fantastic!!! I stayed in October 2008 for 2 nights... the first night, I was the only guest... you wouldn't believe it by the amount of food that the owner put out for breakfast the following morning! The next night, more rooms were occupied and we all had a friendly conversation during breakfast the next morning. You can check tripadvisor.com for reviews and photos. Their website is www.brauhaus-lobisser.com. It is a very cute and clean place!

I didn't stay in St. Gilgen, I chose to stay in St. Wolfgang instead because it was a little larger offering more hotels, restaurants, etc. My hotel there was Seebockenhotel Zum Weissen Hirschen. It was great... small single room but big bathroom and extremely clean! Highly recommended! Breakfast was very good (you can even get eggs made to order) and overlooks the lake. Free PC in lobby for customer use.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 08:33 PM

Hi c1c1,

I spent five days at the Pension Fsrstl in St. Gilgen and loved it. It doesn't have a great view though (I think only one or two places there do, and I didn't care for their isolated location or their ambiance). I did love its location right in the heart of the lovely little town.

www.ferstl.at

If location is important to you, you may want to use google maps as a tool to find hotels. Just enter "St. Gilgen Austira" and after the map comes up, add "hotels." Then all the hotels and pensions will come up, and you can see which ones are where. Each one will also have a link to get more information or go directly to its webpage. It's a great tool.

Have fun!

s
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 06:14 PM

Last Sept. we stayed at Wenglhof Hotel in St. Gilgen. It has absolutely beautiful views of the lake. It was very clean and comfortable. It is about one-half mile from the center of town but we did not mind that. Also, there is little English spoken there so I had to be persistent to get an e-mail reply. Like Swandov says, if you want to be in the center of town, this is not the place, but if the view is what's most important to you, then it is.

Sebina
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 07:04 PM

We have stayed at the Gruner Baum on a number of occasions. The service can be hit or miss but the rooms are quite nice and the restaurant very good. If you get a room with a balcony or terrace, the views are to die for.

In St. Gilgen, we have stayed several times at the Schernthaner Hotel. It isn't on the lake, but if you can get a room on the top floor, you will have a lovely view of the lake. The owners are so nice, the service wonderful and it is very affordable. The owner also speaks English. It is just a short block from the Rathaus in the center of St. Gilgen and only a couple of minutes to the lake. We wouldn't ever think of staying anywhere else.

http://www.hotel-schernthaner.at/sei...sh/index_e.htm
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 07:11 PM

I also stayed at the Schernthaner in St. Gilgen on bettyk's recommendation. I had a very nice room, great breakfast. I lucked out because the single room was already taken, so I was given a nice size double. I loved it! Going back in June.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 10:43 AM

The Gasthof zur Post in St. Gilgen is in the center of town - it is lovely and the hosts are delightful.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 12:53 PM

We stayed at the Gruner Baum last fall for 1 night on a cycling trip through the Salzkammergut for which I posted a trip report. I checked trip advisor prior and saw the mixed reviews. Our stay was lovely, our room had a stunning view, was great and easy to find and thought the hotel was fine overall. Free internet too. No need to worry from my experience and would certainly stay there again without question. We did not eat there in the p.m.