Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Salzkammergut Lakes area - caves, waterfalls, B&Bs

May 4th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Interested in 3 days or so in Salzkammergut area of 14 day trip in early June. So many choices - Hallstatt, St. Wolfgang, St. Gilgen. What would be a good base to see, along with Gosau, Traumkirchen? Also on other Hallstatt posts, have not seen mention of ice caves. Are they worth the visit? How are short hikes, waterfalls in the area? We are B&B folks, wanting to absorb culture & friendliness of locals in quaint, picturesque areas. Suggestions please.
May 5th, 2003, 12:42 PM

The Salzkammergut area is beautiful, and you will have a wonderful time. We stayed in Saint Gilgen, which was pretty convenient to traveling around the area - it was a short trip into Salzburg, where we spent one day, and about an hour to Hallstatt - although we wished that we had spent at least one night in Hallstatt, it was so lovely, and it would have been nice to be there after the daytrippers left. We did go to the ice caves near Obertraun, and felt that they were definitely worth it, they were really interesting and the ice formations were lovely. You take an aerial tramway car up the mountain, then hike for about another 15 - 20 minutes uphill to the entrance of the caves. The view of the Hallstattsee from up there is gorgeous.

We stayed at the Hotel Garni-Schernthaner in St. Gilgen, which we thought was very nice. A small place that was reasonably priced and conveniently located, it has parking and an elevator, and the proprietors were very friendly and helpful. We had a small suite with two good sized connecting rooms (our sons were with us), a kitchenette,and a balcony with a partial view of the Schafberg. It was about a four minute walk to the lake - it might have been nice to stay on the lakefront, although I imagine that would have been more expensive. We had planned to take the ferry to St. Wolfgang, but, much to our disappointment, we ran out of time, and never made it. We had three days in the area, and really wished we'd had at least one more.
May 6th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sara for your responses. Did want to try the ice caves if worth it. St. Gilgen sounds good. Will try to see St. Wolfgang.
May 6th, 2003, 07:54 PM

Hmmm! Very interesting. I too used St. Golgen as our base and stayed at the same place as Sara. It was a big day in St. Gilgen--a big wedding where 2 brothers were having a double wedding. The entire town was in native garb. We joined the wedding party later--it was a blast. The Gasthof kendler is also good value and well located. The best place to eat was a Chinese place across from the hotel. We had fun !
May 7th, 2003, 01:44 PM

A few years ago we stopped in St. Wolfgang on our way from Salzburg to Vienna, this was just for a quick visit, well, we ended up staying 4 nights and found so many things to do using this as our home base. We stayed in a small gasthaus, I think it was called Franz Josef (Joseph?) and it was located above a small restaurant right in front of the boat pier on the lake. The room was lovely with traditional Tyrolean furnishings and a balcony that looked over the lake. The restaurant/gasthaus owner was so kind, every morning at breakfast he would ask "what will you do today" and he gave us wonderful suggestions. He even told us about a local gathering one night with dancing, what a delight. Anyhow, where ever you stay it will be wonderful I'm sure.
May 8th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your hotel & gasthaus recommendations. Area sounds great. Just wish we had more time to explore, but 3 days will have to do. I'll explore all your suggestions and begin to make reservations as soon as my whole itinerary is together. Appreciate the help. God bless the internet!