Search

TSA Luggage Locks

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2009, 06:48 AM
moo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSA Luggage Locks

Are TSA luggage locks worth the effort? We are traveling from the states to Italy this spring and while I am not overly concerned about the TSA invasion of my luggage, I am so used to locking my stuff while traveling abroad. Any thoughts about TSA luggage locks?
Thanks!
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 06:53 AM

I use them all the time and would never check a bag without one. Perhaps I'm overly cautious.

Of course, the TSA locks didn't help me in Puerto Vallarta, when the luggage handlers cut my lock and stole stuff out of my bag, but these locks give you as much protection as you can get without wrapping your entire bag in plastic wrap. For Italy, I would not go that far, but I'd definitely want to lock my bag.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 06:58 AM
J62

I think they're a waste $. I wouldn't bother to buy one or use one. As DS said anybody who wants to get into your bag can.

I use plastic cable ties. They zip on in seconds. If TSA needs to inspect your bag they will cut off the cable tie then put a new one on when done, leaving their inspection notice inside.

I stash a couple extras in the outside pouch of my suitcase for the return trip and a small nail cutter to remove it upon arrival.

Old Jan 30th, 2009, 07:10 AM

I always use them and have never had a problem. I know that an entire bag could be stolen from a hotel room, but it still gives me piece of mind to leave my bags locked especially with gifts in them that I've purchased while traveling abroad. I never pack or leave anything in a hotel room that is very expensive or irreplaceable. My feeling is that a dishonest person - whether at the airport or in a hotel - is more apt to go for an open bag than a locked one.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 09:29 AM

Anyone can easily open your bag by inserting a ballpoint pen between the zipper teeth and pulling it apart. Then, it can be rezipped. All without disturbing the lock.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 09:39 AM

Good point djkbooks. Before retirement I was a road warrior with LOTS of domestic travel. Since retirement, I have travelled extensively overseas and have never lost an item.
ANYONE who has a mind to get into your bags can do it very easy.
Why bother with locks?
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 10:32 AM

I also use cable locks, in hot pink.
I carry a bundle in my bag and use them for all sorts of things, not just locking my bag.
I suggest keeping clippers in an external pocket.I have a teeny-tiny clipper than settles into a crease of my bag pocket and is virtually undetectable.
In all my years of extensive travel, I have never had luggage lost, stolen or damaged (knock on wood).
Oh, I also have marked the inside of my luggage CLEARLY with my name, address and 24/7 phone number. I did this with a paint pen and you can't miss it if you open the bag.
I hope that this will prevent my bag from ever ending up in a 'unclaimed' baggage store!
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 11:29 AM

I even asked in Zurich if it's OK to use the TSA lock, they just waved me through

In the US, sometimes I find a note inside "TSA inspected" and the lock is back in place.

I have a simple small TSA lock with a key, just snap closed, and open with the key in the hotel room.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 12:01 PM

After having had some clothing and souvenirs stolen out of unlocked luggage a number of years ago, I always use TSA-approved locks, and have never had any problem since I started using them. I'm talking about both within the US and flying to and from Europe. Maybe they just make me feel better without offering real security, but that's good enough for me!
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 12:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
When we check luggage I do use the TSA locks and have used them since they were first introduced. U can find them online cheaper then in the stores around here. My understanding is that outside the US, they are just like any other lock and will be cut off if your luggage needs to be examined. It's only in the US where the TSA has the "special" key and will use it to open TSA locks. I also like the plastic ties and use them too. Just need to remember to keep a nail clipper accessible to cut them off.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 01:26 PM

as yestravel, only the US TSA agents have the keys to open these locks. Overseas, if they want to inspect the bag, the lock gets cut off.

I only use cable ties on my bags, with nail clipper to snap off once at my destination. I do have the TSA lock to secure my bag once at my destination when leaving bag unattended in hotel or wherever else.

That's still not to say if someone wants in, they'll get in!