Ladakh: acclimatization stop before arrival

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2018, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m in the earliest stages of planning a trip to Ladakh, but concerned about HAPE, which I have had twice at 13,000 ft. With Leh being at 11,500 ft, is there some interesting place I might stop for 2-3 days before arriving in Ladakh? For example, at about 8,000 ft?

Presumably I would be flying from Delhi. I am quite unfamiliar with the alternatives in that region.

Thanks!
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 12:07 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll preface this by saying I haven't done the trip for the reason you ask the question. I have a friend who spends time in Leh, loves it and we've discussed this very thing. First of all, it depends on the time of year, whether you MUST fly or can go overland which is the best way to address the altitude issue. His preference is to go by bus but it wouldn't be my way and probably not for many of us here. To answer your question, if you must fly, as I understand it, you'll take a direct flight from Delhi and will have no opportunity to acclimate at a lower elevation. You could, though, hire a car and driver and spend 3 or 4 days getting there and that would serve the purpose. Manali, for instance, is on the way at 6700' elevation. Then fly back to Delhi.