ATM machines at Narita

Search

ATM machines at Narita

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2018, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
ATM machines at Narita

I have read here and in guide books that US ATM cards only work at machines in Post Offices and 7-11s in Japan. Does this mean that there is no way for someone with a US card to get some Japanese yen when arriving at Narita from the US?
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are ATMs at Narita Airport that you can use. Land-side. Other airports and shinkansen stations too.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 02:40 PM

There are lots of ATMs and money changoing booths at Narita, and almost every 'combini' (convenience store such as 7-11, Lawsons, circle K, etc) has ATMs that accept foreign cards with 4 digit pins. If your card doesn't work, try a second time, or go to another ATM and try again. There are combini on nearly every block in Japan, so don't panic!
Visa cards are very widely accepted nowdays as well.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 03:14 PM

You should have no problem at Narita. Going to a Japanese post office ATM or 7-11 ATM is your best bet, but the airport has other options as well, such as Aeon. Another possibility is Citibank (in Japan as SMBC). A full list is here (Sevenbank is the 7-11 one). There are ATMs also at other convenience stores in Japan like Lawson's or Family Mart, which may or may not work. Last time I tried at a Lawson's I couldn't do it.

If you do plan to use your ATM card in Japan, make sure your bank knows about it first before your departure so they don't suspect fraudulent usage and freeze your account.

You can also see what Japanese money looks like here. Note that you can not use 1 or 5 yen coins in vending machines and phones.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 04:46 PM
kja

There are ATMs you should be able to use at Narita, and you can even find them in advance:
https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/map

Here’s some general information on ATMs in Japan:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 07:19 PM

I found ATM's quite easily at Narita. There are information booths with friendly ladies that can help you, if necessary.

I found ATM booths at both the train and bus stations. During my last trip to Kyushu, the booths were owned by JP Bank, which has a green logo. For some reasons, the booths are only open during business hours, and they lock shut at other times.
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 07:55 AM

"I have read here and in guide books that US ATM cards only work at machines in Post Offices and 7-11s in Japan."

Whatever your sources, they are wrong. We don't take foreign money to other countries, we obtain it at the airport. And we've obtained it at Narita in 2008 and 2016.

You also probably inferred that information and did not read it outright. There are plenty of banks in Japan. The "7-11s" refer to all Japanese convenience stores regardless of company (Lawson's, 7-Eleven, etc), which are easy to find in any Japanese city - you cannot swing a dead feline without smacking the window of one.
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 01:40 PM

We don't take foreign money to other countries, we obtain it at the airport.
As you are likely aware, you don't have to exchange all your own currency at the airport at all. Authorized banks and main post offices can do it as well.

The "7-11s" refer to all Japanese convenience stores regardless of company ...
7-11s mean 7-11. They are all fine for their ATMs, but other convience stores (Lawson's, Family Mart, Circle K, etc) cannot all take your ATM card like the 7-11s. In fact it is hit and miss, and most likely the latter.
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 06:01 PM

I have only used 7 Eleven's among convenience stores so far as I am always afraid the machine will eat my card...lol...and I know the 7 Eleven's work for me.

As kja's above link says - the Post Office unless it has recently changed since a few months back does not take chipped Master/Maestro cards so it's always a good idea to have more than one type of ATM/debit card if possible....I have three - my chipped Mastercard and Visa Debit cards and a plain old ATM - no chip.....the two latter ones work at the POs. I haven't tried a free-standing JP Bank ATM with my Mastercard - will try next trip....

Additionally I believe the PO now changes for withdrawals - this is a fairly new policy - I recall it happened to me in May - a hundred or so yen - not a big deal but imo at least then 7 Eleven had no charge....

Since I am a solo traveler I don't want to take a chance of having a problem with lack of funds....
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 04:04 PM

You’ll see 7-11 atm machines outside of 7-11s too. I found one that was outside of a mall.

I liked the 7-11 ones because of predictability. Always the same. There are others. They often say “accepts international cards” or something along those lines. Visible and easy to tell.

It’s strangely easier to find an atm in Japan than it is here. Automated stuff in general, actually. It’s everywhere.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 07:35 AM

"other convience stores (Lawson's, Family Mart, Circle K, etc) cannot all take your ATM card like the 7-11s. In fact it is hit and miss, and most likely the latter."

Not in our experience - each was a hit. So your contradiction is incorrect. The simple fact is that if the machine has the Plus or Cirrus network, it will work. And you will be hard-pressed to find one that does not because they are Visa and MasterCard services, which means they're ubiquitous.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 02:15 PM

Sorry, but just because you found a place that worked doesn't mean I'm mistaken. I've tried it at non 7-11 ATMs too, and it did not work. In fact If I didn't spot a 7-11 at night once I would have been in deep trouble with little cash. Just because it says "ATM" in front of the shop doesn't mean it will take your ATM card. The situation should be improving from now though along with a lot of other things because the coming Olympics is pushing a lot more needed improvements. But it would be foolhardy to assume that just because you see a konbini you can use your card.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 05:31 PM

Going to Japan at the end of February & taking notes.

Thanks for the info!
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 09:11 PM

There is ATM in Narita so you should be fine. Also, there are seven eleven everywhere in Japan