Just a word of warning about your carry-on

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2017, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first time I tested positive for explosive residue, I was amazed. The TSA woman said it was probably glycerin that set off the the detection system. She had to check everything in my carry-on. So I looked to see which among my cosmetics and lotions contained glycerin, but only one did, and I removed it from my carry-on. The hangup wasn't a problem because I had plenty of time before my flight.

This doesn't happen at every flight I take, but it can be a problem when it does.

A couple of years later, it happened again. I thought I had removed everything containing glycerin, but the alarm went off at Frankfurt, when I was already late for my plane. The Frankfurt security people checked EVERYTHING. They even made me open up my kindle so they could see that it was not a fiendish device. A shuttle to my flight was waiting for me, as I was being checked out. I was really embarrassed at holding up this whole busload of people.

This morning, I idly checked my moisturizer/sunscreen and discovered it contained glycerin, as did my mousse. I'd never taken either on a trip to Europe, so I was glad I'd checked.

Do my advice is to check every lotion, liquid, or cream to see if it contains glycerin.
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 10:41 AM

A frequent culprit, I've been told, is hand sanitizer.
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 11:02 AM

Thank you Peg for the information. Next time I go on a flight, I'll check my cosmetics. Luckily I don't usually have more than 2 flask of liquid cosmetics in my bag.
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 11:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since they rub the OUTSIDE of a bag to check it, what is inside may have little or nothing to do with it. What was on your hands prior, more likely.
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 11:21 AM

You sure have bad luck considering the millions of people who go through those screeners with ingredients with glycerin. I agree with Dukey, I don't think this is because you were carrying glycerin inside it. But it isn't clear if the alarm went off from you going through the scanner or your luggage? Because if you had jut used soap or lotion on your hands, and then went through, maybe that could do it. I don't do that. And then if your hands go off, I could see why they'd have to check your luggage.

I carry something with glycerin in it most of the time and it has never set the screener off (Aquaphor).
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 11:52 AM

Frankfurt is one of the culprits.
I travel a lot and I'm checked 10 times more in Frankfurt.
I just beep every time whatever I wear (no lipstick for me).
Nr 2 is Krakow.
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 11:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you get patted down and hands swiped? Some people that take nitroglycerin tablets will alarm or if you have been around yard chemicals. It could be their machine was just dirty. I don't worry about it anymore. Just don't put a ton of lotion on your hands before going through security. Shoes alarm if people have been walking on golf courses.
I am flying Thursday, first time since they are increasing the pat down and making it more intimate. Anyone had that done yet?
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 01:36 PM

"...increasing the pat down and making it more intimate. Anyone had that done yet?..."

Oh yes, and how! I have flannel-lined pants with cargo pockets, and the pants are thicker than average and the velcro flaps of the pockets add to the thickness - alarms go off and normally I flap the flaps open to show that they're just flaps, not "things" I carry.

But now, the thickness of those pants lights up their obviously recalibrated scanner image (you know, the screen where you see what the TSA person sees and goes by), in the crotch and elsewhere - not a pat-down but a slow inch-by-inch grope resulted, three times in the last couple of months. I even had to open the belt and flies and turn the top of the pants inside out to show that I had nothing strapped around my waist. Quite a show!

Maybe I'll start wearing boxer shorts and drop my pants altogether so they can go on the conveyor belt. With a bit of luck I'll get famous on YouTube, you never know
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

The first time this happened was in Spokane, the second time in Frankfurt.
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 04:01 PM

I've been taken out of line twice for a hand swipe. I was explosive the first time in Houston. I was delayed a half hour while getting the TSA hand swipe, and then an officer took all my electronics into another room for a long time. I believe that the machine picked up some chemical from a shirt that my SIL gave me and had just washed. It had a high aroma. TSA probably spent millions on these worthless instruments.
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 04:39 PM

Interesting. I had never heard of this. Thanks for the warning.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 08:25 AM

Often in random checks, people will be surprised when their baggage or some other items tests positive for cocaine. I'm talking about people who have not knowingly been near cocaine.

The problem is that a 'transfer of evidence' as CSI has taught us all to understand, has taken place.

You have no control over what might test positive. It's inconvenient but it's all part of travel.