Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cooking classes in Paris - Cook n' with Class or La Cuisine?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While my husband goes to the Paris Auto Show (which he did in 2010 and loved) I am thinking of signing up for a cooking class -- just can't decide which class to take. I like the idea of the market classes, but they're pretty pricey. Baking is probably the way I'll go since I don't have much experience with it -- if anyone has taken classes with either of these schools, would be very interested in your experience (did you go home really knowing how to make what you made in class on your own?, is instruction clear, do you get a well written (detailed) recipe to take home, do they make everyone in class comfortable). The only baking class I'm not considering is macarons, as I'm not all that enamored with them.

Class prices are a little high for my budget, did you feel the experience was worth the tuition?

(Also open to other schools) Thanks.
Old Aug 20th, 2014, 07:22 AM

Hi Vanne 1 I've taken cooking classes with both cooknwithclass and la cuisine paris. I did a market class with cooknwithclass - it was fun and we got to choose the menu, but after about 5 hours of cooking and eating, I was ready to call it a day. I've also done their dessert class and their baking class. I enjoyed both of these and did make the madeleines once I got home. All my classes there have been with Pino and he's great!

I've done a macaron class at La Cuisine Paris and in May I did a chocolate and caramel class with them. I would never attempt the making maracons at home, but it was fun and now I have a greater appreciation for what goes into making them! La Cuisine Paris has some good classes that are only 2 hours which I find very appealing.

Both cooking schools give out the recipes. I think it would be a great way to spend a morning or afternoon while your husband is at the auto show!
Old Aug 20th, 2014, 07:58 AM

Cordon Bleu
Old Aug 20th, 2014, 12:42 PM

My first cooking class was with Cookn With Class in 2008.. back then they were just starting out and Eric, the owner/founder was our chef for the day... I loved it, enjoyed the food we made, plus we got an email with the recipes after the class. We learned to make a fondant (molten lava cake) with a banana and avocado sauce that I still make to this day

In 2010, I took a macaron class with Rachel Khoo when she worked at Cookn With Class... she now has a couple books plus a cooking show, so I can say that I learned how to make macarons with her! It is very much hands on... my first batch that I tried at home came out perfect (later attempts weren't as great though!)

(Also during the 2010 trip to Paris I took a chocolate class at LeNotre... Very hands on and fun, but it was totally in French)

In 2011, I wanted something different so I booked with La Cuisine Paris to make choux pastry... We had a really nice American pastry chef named Jenny as our instructor... the recipes were quite detailed and I made chouquettes at home quite successfully after.

I would say that my preference was the market class, as you got to shop as a Parisian, not just cook, but every class was quite interesting. I would definitely book again with both, if I had a chance to return to Paris.

Have fun!
Old Aug 20th, 2014, 12:45 PM

Oh, there was an Australian woman in my La Cuisine Paris class who had been to Le Cordon Bleu... and from what she told me, the class she took was more demonstration than hands-on. Don't know if it's true for every class though.