Search

Mont St Michel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mont St Michel

We have a group of 6-8 people interested in going to Mont Saint Michel from Paris as a day trip. Is this do-able or is it too much to squeeze into such a short time? How long and how difficult would it be to take public transportation? Or shall we rent a car?
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 08:45 AM

There's plenty of info on this question on this board. It is more than 3 hours from Paris to MSM by car. Public transport is not convenient and will take far longer.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 09:01 AM

Look for a travel service. Renting a car that can carry 8 persons might be a problem.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 09:06 AM

That is really far for a day trip. If you want to do it in a day, I think the only feasible option is to book a bus day tour and at least you can nap on the bus going or returning and not have to worry about driving in the dark. It's a long trip for a 6 hour drive, but if you aren't doing it, not impossible if you really want to see it as you'll have most of the day there.

By public transportation, you have to take a train and then link to a bus somewhere (Rennes or Pontorson), takes up a lot of time. Driving, it will take over 4 hrs each way and cost a lot in gas and toll fees (it's about 400 km).

Parisvision has a day trip by coach for 125 euro per adult. You leave at 7:15 am and return around 9 pm. I know that seems like a lot of money in total, but if it's 6-8 adults who just happen to be there together, it's no different to me than each one deciding whether it is worth it to them. I'd pay 125 euro for such a trip for the convenience if I really wanted to see it in a day.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 09:12 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I think if the excursion isn't worth staying 1 night on or near the Mont to your group, save it for next time. I did and I loved it, would likely not have loved it so much if it had been just a day trip.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 09:27 AM

You are squeezing too much in.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 09:48 AM

by public transportation:

Take a TGV train from Paris Montparnasse station to Rennes where to meet several morning trains you will find a special bus waiting outside the station for a quick transfer right to Mont-Saint-Michel - so is pretty easy and straightforward though will take yeh about 3 hours each way - buses leave the Mount in the afternoon at various times to go back to the Rennes train station.

www.voyages-sncf.com or www.capitainetrain.com for advance discounted tickets which howeever are non-refundable, train-specific and non changeable. Expect to spen at least 3-4 hours on the Mont itself.

For info on French trains and discount booking, etc check www.seat61.com.

I agree with MmePerdu - stay in a hotel either right on the Mount or at the gaggle of motels on the mainland right at the end of the causeway - seeing the Mont gloriously lit up from afar at night is so so awesome and also to walk around the island itself when few folks are there at night is a treat. They also have a Spound-and-Light thing with special efects in summer in the basilica that I even liked better than the crowded elbow to elbow daytime tours.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 09:57 AM

Concur with Mme Perdu and PalenQ on staying overnite near there.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 03:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
First of all, how long are you spending in Paris?