Bay of Fundy TIDE info

Search

Bay of Fundy TIDE info

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bay of Fundy TIDE info

Since this weekend is bringing gigantic 50-foot tide differentials to the Bay of Fundy (just after the biggest full moon of the year), I thought it would be good to post some info here.

http://www.bayoffundytourism.com/faqs/index.php

3. Where can I go to ‘see’ the tides?

Vertical Tidal Effect
•In New Brunswick: Alma, St Martins, Hopewell Cape, the Chocolate River near Hillsborough, Petticodiac River in Moncton.
•In Nova Scotia: Advocate Harbour, Parrsboro, Hantsport, Hall's Harbour, Margaretsville, Harbourville, Digby.

Horizontal Tidal Effect
•In New Brunswick: St Andrews, New River Beach, St Martins, Alma, Hopewell Rocks Dorchester Cape.
•In Nova Scotia: Joggins, Parrsboro, Five Islands, Grand Pre, Blomidon.
Tidal Bore
Most of these are on the Nova Scotia side of the bay.

•the Maccan River about 10 minutes from Amherst where there are interpretive panels,
•the tidal bore in Truro just out by the Palliser restaurant
•the South Maitland Tidal Bore Lookoff where there is an interpretation centre and some panels.
Note that the bore time does not match either the high or low tide times listed on the tide chart for that community. The bore time varies depending on where you're perched to view it from the riverbank.

The "Vertical tide effect" is most significant, and here is a spot where you can get constantly updated tide times to print out and take on your trip.

(I suggest printing the tide tables for the COMPLETE window of your trip... and putting them in the glove box, in case you need them while considering where to drive next. Reason being: the tides are best appreciated when seeing BOTH low tide and high tide (LOW is most astonishing)... but they happen 6+ hours apart, and you don't usually want to sit around for 6 hours waiting)

(Pick maybe 3 or 4 spots on the map at the link above, and print out the tide tables for each, for the entire time you'll be in the area)