Hvar as "base camp"

Search

Hvar as "base camp"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2005, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hvar as "base camp"

After a 2 and a half week group tour of Central Europe next September (2006) my friend and I would like to get a ferry in Rijeka (we will be coming from Bled, Slovenia) and head towards Dubrovnik where we will fly out of. I've been reading such great things about Hvar and want to ask is it possible to go directly from Rijeka to Hvar on a ferry? Is a Hvar a good place to stay if we want to also take day trips to other islands and any suggestions of which islands to see? How many days should we stay in Hvar (we're thinking anywhere from 4 to 7 days)? And since we're leaving from Dubrovnik how many days should we stay there or should we go to Dubrovnik as a day trip from Hvar? We are not planning on renting a car, so would need to have easy access to other modes of transporation.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions you may have!
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 11:50 AM

You can check the Jadrolina website for ferry schedules that will answer several of your questions.

Hvar and Trogir were the only islands we visited so I can't help with other islands. Other posters have commented favorably on Rab and Korcula. Trogir is a pretty town about fifteen miles or so north of Split and the old town portion of the town is on a small island. I guess it qualifies as an island. You can then ferry from Split to Hvar.

We spent two days on Hvar and were satisfied. Others have spent longer and obviously it depends on what you want to do but seven days would be much too long for me.

The travel time by ferry is such that I don't think it would be practical to visit Dubrovnik on a daytrip from Hvar.

If you want to visit other islands, I would suggest you check the ferry/bus schedules to see what is practical to do by moving from island to island for overnights traveling north to south.

We spent five nights in Dubrovnik. That is probably two too many if you are only sightseeing. Because it was at the end of our trip, we spent most of two days just relaxing and reading on the terrace of Villa Adriatica overlooking the Old Town harbor, which turns out to be among the most pleasant memories of our trip.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Jadrolinija's coastal service from Rijeka to Dubrovnik calls at Stari Grad on Hvar island. Sailings leave Rijeka in the evening two to four times a week and arrive in Stari Grad the next morning. The ships have bars and restaurants, and breakfast is included in the fare for cabin passengers. Buses (and taxis) wait on the quayside at Stari Grad for Hvar town. Jadrolinija's web site (www.jadrolinija.hr) currently shows the winter schedule.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 02:26 PM

GeoffHamer, do you know if there's a ferry Trieste to Pula or Rijeka? Planning a possible trip by ferry from Trieste to Corfu via Dubrovnik. Looks impossible from Dubrovnik to Corfu. Do you know?
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Commodore Travel of Pula (www.commodore-travel.hr) run summer trips from Pula to Trieste ("Trst" in Croatian). Tirrenia (www.tirrenia.it) also run a fast boat in summer from Trieste to the Istrian peninsula.
There are several buses a day from Trieste to Rijeka and other towns in Istria. This is the easiest way of connecting with Jadrolinija's coastal ship.
There are no direct ferries from Croatia to Greece, though it is possible via Italy: both Jadrolinija and Azzurra Line (www.azzurraline.com) run Dubrovnik-Bari, and there are daily sailings from Bari to Greece (www.superfast.com, www.ventouris.gr).
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 02:51 PM

Thanks GeoffHamer. Sorry to sidetrack this thread.