Silly Question: High Season in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is probably a silly question but I keep finding different answers everywhere.....when exactly is the high season in Italy?? We are planning our honeymoon to Italy (Venice, Florence, Tuscany, Rome) from Oct 21st to Nov 1st and aren't sure if we should budget for the high or low season prices in accomodations!
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Sometimes there are 3 tiered structures (low, "shoulder" and high)but you're definitely not in high season.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Though you won't be in high season, I doubt you'll see much of a discount at hotels. They really don't start discounting til December and into March.

That's not to say some shopping around won't pay off. Good luck!
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 11:05 AM

It seems like any time you check on places like Rome, you find out it's in the high season -- much like New York. After a lot of study, I've discovered the only true "low" season is between 3 AM and 6 AM on February 6.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Often September and October is a very busy time for Italian cities with trade shows, and hotels are frequently booked out or charge high-season prices. July/August, on the other hand, is a quiet time for cities and business-oriented hotels usually give a discount.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 11:13 AM

The season in Italy is now from Easter until the end of Oct. It is called supply and demand.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 12:22 PM

And there may also be "high season" prices at the Christmas holidays. Plus, seasonal rates are not applied uniformly by every hotel. You must really check on each individual hotel's seasons.

One way to save in many hotels at any time of year: often a discount (perhaps 10%) is offered for cash payments.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 03:32 PM

I cannot tell for all Italy but for VENICE, I have learned on my hotel research many (not all) hotels apply the following :

Approximatively,
Low season : Mid November - Early March (of course excluding Christmas holiday and Carnavale).

High season : Mid April to June and September to maybe mid to late October.

The rest is shoulder season including most of July and August.

Hotel Calcina's seasons/rates list will also give you an idea, that's slightly different from what I stated above.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 03:33 PM

I meant to add Hotel La Calcina's season/price list.

http://www.lacalcina.com/HTML/en/calcina_prezzi_en.html
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 06:35 PM

Waterlily-you can budget for high season rates for your stay-even now, in Venice, for example, I was just reading in the paper this week that the crowds are enormous, which I would not have expected at this time of year, almost like it is in Sept.-Oct. high season-so more and more, Venice is not experiencing any true low season.

And all hotel rates, vaporetto fares, restaurant food, etc. is going up come Feb 2007-says the local Venice paper-, so you'll have to budget extra on account of that.

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 12:17 PM
ira

Hi W,

What do you expect to see in Tuscany in late Oct?

Old Dec 15th, 2006, 05:49 AM

ira, -- the same things they'd see in any other month? Less some of the crowds of course and maybe wearing a sweater instead of sweating?
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 06:09 AM

Im a travel agent and have traveled to Italy numerous times(its my favorite country along with Ireland-also my heritage)and you're defintely in low season. And by the way you're travel dates are usually around the times I go. Not too many people, pleasant weather. The only drawback is that some of the sights are on limited hours, so if you're planning on any museums etc, call ahead for hours, but again they wouldn't be packed with people, so you may actually get to see The David, Sistine Chapel, Piata etc up close.
Enjoy
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 06:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We were in Italy the second through fourth weeks of October 2006, and both Florence and Rome were packed with tourists. The owner of our hotel in Rome (where we had stayed on two previous occasions) told us that October is now her most requested month. Because of our previous visits to Florence and Rome, we were not attempting to see David, the Sistine Chapel, etc., on this trip, but I can assure you that all of the major sights had long lines. You should definitely make reservations wherever possible.

But back to your question of whether it's high season, low season or shoulder season. I don't think it's relevant. You can find accommodations to fit nearly any budget. (If you're American, the bigger issue is what the poor dollar will be worth in euros.) Just decide how much you want to spend on lodging and discipline yourself to look only at what you want to spend.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 10:52 AM

No question-October is packed with tourists-like I said, more and more, there is no true low season with the art cities of Rome, Florence, Venice-I would not have expected the local papers to say that Venetians are complaining due to the overload of tourists this month in December, but they are. October, on the other hand, hat has ALWAYS been high season-you will be paying more for your accomodation then than you will in...my favorite month of August. (but I don't want people to go there then...so please believe what everyone on this board says, that August is the worst month to visit in Italy-particularly Venice/Florence!)
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 12:28 PM

> you're defintely in low season ...

jblack, as I wrote above, I'm speaking only about Venice but, End of October -Beginning of November is not the LOW season. I could agree if you said lower, or more correctly shoulder/mid. Besides some hotels applies high season rates still for end of October. I thought you might need to know since you are a travel professional.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 05:09 PM

Some hotels have discounted rates in Rome during August
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 02:33 PM

I was just in Italy during November and it was lovely. I also received some great insight from a representative at www.lemonlimetravel.com that assisted me with the itinerary.
Enjoy!