Search

Phuket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2017, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phuket

We are a group of friends (4) in our early 50's (active) and we are heading to Phuket in April for 12 nights. We have booked 6 nights at Patong Beach but would like to go somewhere else for 6 nights after that. We would like to be near the beach (good swimming beach) but not interested in party central. We fly out of Phuket airport so cant travel too far away. We don't particularly want to stay on an island as yr limited to going out anywhere. Can anyone suggest anything? Is Khao Lak any good? thanks in advance.
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 06:30 AM

You have booked 6 nights at Patong beach, but don't want to be in party central? Eating is the definition of party central! You don't want to stay on an island, but Phuket is an island.

Krabi, Khao Lak, and Ko Lanta ace all options for you. You might want to get a guidebook to assist you, as so far your research has not been very helpful to you.
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 07:00 AM

Phuket might be an island, but it's attached to the mainland by a seamless causeway, giving it [to me at least] a non-island feel.

Islands to me don't have busy roads bringing traffic in and out, other than by ferry.

Have a look at Nai Yang for your last few days. Low key resort, only 5 minutes drive from Phuket Airport. Excellent beach.

Khao Lak is about an hour+ north of Phuket Airport by taxi. It covers several beach areas stretching about 25kms, hemmed in by the busy Highway 4. The main townships are Bang Niang and Bang La On, where you'll find most of the nightlife. Quieter than Phuket, but still plenty of package tourists, giving in my opinion a sterile Thai experience.

Research your accommodation as several hotels accept coachloads of Chinese tour groups on a get 'em in, get 'em fed, get 'em on their way routine.....not good for quality, and many of these people are bad mannered and loud.
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 07:58 AM

Plus the advice on your last thread about the area...

https://www.fodors.com/community/asi...k-thailand.cfm
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Kathie: I shall clarify then. We are in party central for the first 6 nights- I understand that. We are looking for something a little quieter for the second part of the holiday. I realise Phuket is an island, I meant a smaller island where there is possibly only the resort.
Thank you LancasterLad- I appreciate that your reply. I agree with you about the island comment. I know there are guidebooks etc... but I thought this would be a good place to hear about other people's experiences and recommendations.
I will look at the last thread too. I started a new one as we have progressed a little with our planning. Thanks again.
Old Dec 9th, 2017, 12:24 AM

Not sure how useful my comments will be as I would rather spend a day at the dentist than one night in Patong! Each to there own though!

There are plenty of other islands, some big some small, very few have just one resort. Places like Ko Lanta are worth considering but are beginning to develop Patong style centres of their own but you can still find beach area tha5 are much quieter.

One of the best resources for sourcing beach resorts is:

https://www.travelfish.org/country/thailand

Read the link above and then click the links to the various destination for a warts and all description of each place. Koh Yao Yai and Koh Yao Noi are worth a look but I can’t recall how long it takes to get there from Phuket.

Another thought, would a change of country appeal! Langkawi is a short flight away, some fantastic beaches, wonderful hotels and arguably even better food than Thailand.

A lot depends on what type/cost of accomodation you are looking for and you a completely different experience stay
Old Dec 9th, 2017, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. This is a very helpful reply. I will look up the link.