Search

Finally Philly!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2017, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with songdoc about Magic Gardens. They're wonderful. Otherwise, South Street can be fun, but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way.
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 12:24 PM

If you appreciate good food there are numerous places to go instead of touristy places like Ralph's, Geno's or Pat's.

Ralph's is an old red sauce Italian-American place in South Philly that really is not all that good but lives on its reputation as the oldest or one of the oldest Italian restaurants in the country. Everything is drenched in tomato sauce.

If you want good Italian food go to Tre Scalini, L'Angolo or Gran Caffe L'Aquila.

Geno's and Pat's don't make the top 30 with locals for cheesesteaks. Jim's at 4th & South isn't bad but if you want the full monty cheesesteak experience go to John's Roast Pork at Snyder & Weccacoe.
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm already dieting to get ready! Thanks.

Old Oct 5th, 2017, 02:53 PM

big fan of philly.....i recommend Pesto for dinner. family run, just a fun place. we found it on trip advisor.
i would skip the liberty bell, huge line, you can see it from a huge window outside.
take in a phillies game if they are in town, the sports complex is impressive.
barnes foundation - get tickets in advance
don't forget the rodin museum.
pat or gens's - there has to be better cheesesteaks in Philly
reading market - way to crowded.
have a drink at the ritz carlton. its an old bank building, make friends with one of the bell guys, maybe they will give you a tour like they did for me. the bar is nice.
go to the top of the hyatt for a drink for great views.
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Amy

Not sure if this link will work, but if you want a cheesesteak you need this jawn:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUx4BxZg...rnegladlyteche (Click the button on the photo itself for a very very short video inside.) Max's is an experience.

The movie Creed shows a bit of it--it's in the first part of this cooking demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zru1yk--rGQ But the line of people waiting goes straight across the counter and usually doubled, and there's frequently a line outside.

And the Reading Terminal Market is a must, regardless of how crowded, particularly when the Amish vendors are there. (Wednesday to Saturday, usually.)
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 07:29 AM

If you should head to DC, etc. by car you might enjoy a visit to Winterthur.
Gardens should be in great shape in May.
http://www.winterthur.org/
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 01:32 PM

Here's another negative regarding Geno's and Pat's. Have tried several Philly cheesesteak spots, and they were the worst of the bunch by far. Jim's was easily the best, though, and it's also centrally located. John's Roast Pork reportedly does them well (kind of out of the way and short hours, if memory serves). Tony Luke's at the ballpark was passable, and liked the one at Cosmi's Deli a good bit (again, kind of out of the way). Sonny's, Campo's, and Dolce Carini were varying degrees of middle of the road to below but more centrally located. But they were all notably better than Geno's or Pat's.

And definitely will recommend going to Reading Terminal Market, with DiNic's a particular must for their roast pork with greens sandwich and Bassett's a solid ice cream option.

Other good food choices for me were Sang Kee Peking Duck and Rangoon, both in Chinatown; Franklin Fountain for old fashioned ice cream treats; and Estia for Greek seafood (expensive though).
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 01:54 PM

Will second the Alexander Hotel, good place to stay, conveniently located, great price point.

The attractions list you've gotten is a good one. Can only add a few other things:

Franklin Court
Arch Street Meering House
Mother Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church
St. Peter's Episcopal Church
Edgar Allan Poe Narional Historical Site
Rosenbach Museum and Library
Academy of Natural Sciences
Independence Seaport Museum
Physick House
Rodin Museum
US Mint
University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
African-American Museum in Philadelphia
Adventure Aquarium (in Camden on the waterfront close by the Bartleship New Jersey)

The Rosenbach, Rodin, and UPenn Museum are especially good from this list. And if you like the Powel House, the Physick House is close by and just as good. But earlier lists contain many of the most essential must-sees.

Agreed that the Betsy Ross House is less essential than many of the choices suggested, though it's at least close by several other attractions and doesn't take long to see.
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

How far in advance can I purchase Barnes tickets? Thanks.

Old Nov 28th, 2017, 02:36 PM

>

Guessing that was Metropolitan Bakery, there are several others besides in the Reading Terminal, there's one on 19th street, near Rittenhouse Square. The best fig newtons ever!
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 05:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
"Guessing that was Metropolitan Bakery, there are several others besides in the Reading Terminal, there's one on 19th street, near Rittenhouse Square. The best fig newtons ever."

They also have amazing apricot sticks but they only sell them on Sundays.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 10:06 PM

I am really hoping to see a reenactment of Rocky in your trip report... At least the stairs.

On more serious note--we went to Philly to see colleges in 2015, with a partial day of touring the Liberty Bell and nearby sites. Of course the things we saw were great and we want to go back. But the best part was how nice the people were. Really friendly for a large city.

Also I have a suggestion for when you leave Philly. If you are driving and going south, have you considered a visit to Brandywine battlefield? It gets overlooked, but it was the largest battle of the Revolutionary War. 30,000 combatants. It is on my list for someday. Maybe a local could give us their impressions of it.
Old Nov 29th, 2017, 06:17 AM

> Brandywine battlefield
> Maybe a local could give us their[sic] impressions of it

http://brandywinebattlefield.org/

Since the event was an embarrassing disaster for both George Washington and the Continental Army -- with British General William Howe beating them exactly as he had done in the Battle of Long Island -- it is no surprise that Americans did little to remember the battle. Thus, until fairly recently, there wasn't a lot of preservation or signage here. You can wander the area where the Continentals were encamped, and visit a house where Washington spent a few days, but for the most part, locations specific to the actual battle are in private hands and have little or no signage. Compared to the more expansive and well-marked Valley Forge -- which is administered by the U.S. National Parks Service instead of a private charity -- Brandywine is like the little sibling to a major celebrity. I would recommend it only to history buffs.
Old Nov 29th, 2017, 09:47 AM

Thanks, Paul.

Tom did not have Valley Forge on his list either, so that might be a possibility

As to Brandywine, that is interesting insight about how we--as a country--view the American Revolution. In other wars, our soldiers have been commemorated for their heroism and sacrifice. Maybe that was just the Civil and World Wars though.
Old Nov 30th, 2017, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

"I am really hoping to see a reenactment of Rocky in your trip report... At least the stairs."

I had better get in shape so they don't have to ship my body back home

I was wondering if we could combine Gettysburg with Antietam on the same day. We are staying in Staunton...It would be a long, long day, but then again, it is us.

Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 12:03 PM

By all means visit Geno's and Pat's. They are across the street from each other. There probably are better cheese steak options, but Pat's & Geno's is like visiting Pink's & Tommy's in LA...so you get the picture.

There were four of us visiting, also, so we a got a sandwich from each place, cut them in fours & compared. You'll enjoy it!
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 03:52 PM

I spent 2 hours at the Newly opened American Revolution museum in June and on my way, there was NOT a line to see the Liberty bell at 9:30 am on a weekday.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Got our Barnes tickets!

It looks like Independence Hall and Museum of the Revolution also need timed tickets.

Has anyone been to National Constitution Center? Sounds interesting. Does that need advance tickets, as well.

Thanks!

Old Jan 9th, 2018, 01:16 PM

> Has anyone been to National Constitution Center?
> Does that need advance tickets, as well

In the three times I've visited there, I've simply walked up to the ticket booth and immediately got an admission.

You have the option of getting your timed ticket for "Freedom Rising,"
https://constitutioncenter.org/visit/admission
but I've never had a problem getting into the show almost as soon as I arrive.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Paul...Looking forward to visiting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -