Search

Help planning Blue Mountains trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2017, 03:18 PM
ajc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help planning Blue Mountains trip

I would like to do a day trip to the Blue Mountains by taking the train to the park. I have read many recommendations for walking the National Pass from Wentworth falls. My question is how do I get to Wentworth falls using the train from Sydney. Also if I get an early start, will I have time to see other places in the park before the day is finished and if so, are the buses a good way to get to other places in the park? I'm on a bit of a budget and that is why I am not going on a tour bus from Sydney. I didn't see any tours that do this specific walk.
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 03:54 PM

You could get to Wentworth Falls from Sydney by taking a Blue Mountain line train to Wentworth Falls. From the station you could access the National Pass by walking through some neighborhood streets or by linking up with it from the Charles Darwin Track about a couple of blocks away from the train station. It's easy to do on your own, but do it in good weather.

WildWalks has good information and maps.

http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking...onal-pass.html

http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking...rwin-walk.html

You could also click on my user name for my report from last December.
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 06:36 PM
ajc
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback. I looked back at all the great information about Sydney and the Blu Mountains in your report. I'm sorry your hike did not go as expected. Are the trails not marked well? I'm thinking I may just go directly to the park and not do the wildlife center so hopefully I'll have some time to explore a few other places.
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 06:51 PM

We were trying to combine a few different trails for a longer walk but the signage for the National Pass is good. It will also be the route that most other hikers will be using. If this is your first time in the Blue Mountains and want to do some shopping, you could hop back on the train after you do your hike and head to Leura; from there you could go to Sublime Point and see the Three Sisters.
Old Nov 10th, 2017, 03:32 PM
ajc
Original Poster

If I get to Wentworth Falls around 9 a.m. and do the National Pass walk, I am guessing I will be finished by 1:00, according to what others have said. I'll be returning to the starting point, correct? Since I'll still have some daylight hours left, should I hop on the train and go to another place- maybe to see the 3 Sisters?
Old Nov 10th, 2017, 05:50 PM

The 3-4 hours you budgeted should be enough time depending on how physically active you are. At the end of the walk is the Conservation Hut, where you could stop for lunch. From here it is about a 20-minute walk back to the train station. From there you could continue on to Leura or Katoomba; you could see the 3 Sisters from both. I personally prefer Leura as it has more charm and character.
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 08:53 AM
ajc
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your great feedback!