Sydney to Blue mts for family of 4

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 01:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi <BR>I am looking to take a trip from Sydney with my family to the Blue Mts in December.<BR>I know that an overnight B&amp;B stay is better but is it feasible to take an early train and spend the day in the area and take a late train back to Sydney ?<BR>What train route would be suitable and can the cost be included in one of the Sydney transport passes?<BR>Would a hire car be better?<BR>Also does anyone know if there is a cable car journey in the mountains?<BR>Sorry for the loads of questions.<BR>Appreciate any help.<BR><BR>Muck
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 02:01 AM

Hi Mucky,<BR><BR>You can find the train timetables, and other information about transport alternatives once you arrive at Katoomba here: http://www.bluemts.com.au/categories.asp?id=381 Trains run regularly, so you shouldn't have any trouble having a full day in the mountains. I don't know about the train passes, but you may be able to find that on the website as well.<BR><BR>There is a cable car - I don't think the trip is very long, but you can find out more here: http://www.scenicworld.com.au/defaul...eniscender.htm - a very short one. There is also a scenic railway, which goes straight down into the valley - good idea to walk down the tracks and catch the train back up.<BR><BR>There is so much to do in the mountains that you might want to spend more than one day, especially if you enjoy walking the bush trails rather than just hitting the highlights.<BR><BR>Hope you enjoy your trip -please feel free to ask any other questions you have.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 02:02 AM

Sorry, I meant walking down the bush tracks, not the train tracks!!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:06 AM

Hi, Mucky!<BR>It is certainly possible to see a lot of the best of the Blue Mountains in a single day, and if you leave on the 9:02 train from Sydney Terminal, you qualify for &quot;off-peak&quot; rates (on Saturday and Sunday these even operate before 9, but there are frequent closedowns for trackwork at weekends, so it's best to avoid these unless you can find out in advance whether your weekend is going to be affected), which are just a little more than half the usual price. <BR>It takes two hours to get to Katoomba, and the train journey is quite pleasant and scenic. It is fairly easy to get a bus from the station to Echo Point (you could walk it in forty minutes), and from there it is a pleasant walk (well-sinposted) down to the valley floor and along to the bottom of the Scenic Railway, which is the best of the three cable-car complexes, all of which terminate at the one point. If you take this to the top, you can then try out the other two. <BR>You may enjoy the freedom of hiring a car, but if you decide to do that, it's best to take the train to Leura, just one stop before Katoomba, and rent your car there.... then you haven't got the hassle of driving through all the city traffic to get to the foot of the mountains (the train does this much faster than you could drive). <BR>After dinner (also best in Leura, which has a charming village atmosphere, or further up the mountains at Blackheath... some great restaurants around there), there are trains every hour back to Sydney, so returning before midnight would be quite feasible. That said, I do think it's worth two days, so if I were you I would be spending the night at one of those B&amp;Bs.... I always like the Grand View Hotel, right at Wentworth Falls Station (one stop before Leura). Cheaper than most, and there's the beginning of a nice walking track adjacent to the hotel.<BR>Have a great time!
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 01:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will research your suggestions and should I need any more info I know where to come.<BR>Thanks<BR><BR>Muck