Qantas Vacations

Apr 7th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Qantas Vacations

Does anyone have any experience with Qantas Vacations? I'm planning a trip to Australia and want a very reliable agency with a solid reputation. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Apr 7th, 2003, 06:49 PM

Are you talking about Qantas itself?
Apr 7th, 2003, 09:26 PM

Previously our travel agent has booked our overseas holiday's from Australia to the UK and USA through Qantas Holidays and they were very reliable.

I don't know what their like when you are coming from overseas to Australia though.
Apr 7th, 2003, 09:35 PM
pat

Used Qantas vacations about a year ago and had no problems whatsoever. I would go with them again.
Apr 8th, 2003, 03:40 PM
drb

Our family of 5 is going this summer and we booked through Qantas Vacations. Just know that they are not owned by Qantas but are simply contracted by them to provide these services. They also saved us dollars on airfare. You also may do better than their contracted hotel rates by booking some hotels on youir own.
Apr 8th, 2003, 05:33 PM

Quantas roughed out an Australian itinerary for us and it had a number of errors I wouldn't have expected, such as plane connections that were way too tight to work and the like. Admittedly, this was a quick effort for us done for free, but did not have the attention to detail I would have liked to see.
Apr 8th, 2003, 06:53 PM

Miranda we don't know where you had your itinerary done for you - was it in Australia? Overseas? With an Australian Qantas Office or branch office.
Did you do the trip? Did you miss planes? Please give accurate information so that we can gauge what you mean by "attention to detail"
For what it is worth Qantas Vacations are just a part of Qantas Airways. PS there is no U in Qantas.
Apr 9th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Yeah, I know there's no U in Qantas, and saw the error right after I posted, but there's no way to edit messages after you post them, or if there is, I don't know how to do it. I guess my attention to detail is not the greatest either!

I don't know which office of Qantas did the rough itinerary for us. My travel agent arranged it. I am in the U.S. Let me stress that this was a quick itinerary set up for no charge with the hope that I would become a paying customer. I'm sure that had I already committed funds, more time would have been spent on the itinerary. As an example of the lack of attention to detail, the itinerary had us flying back to Sydney from Queensland on the last day of our trip, arriving at the airport with a 45 minute connection time to catch an transPacific flight back to the U.S. the same day. That is simply not possible! In fact, like most U.S. visitors flying back to Sydney before flying home, we have to spend an extra night in Sydney and fly home the next day. That's the kind of mistake I wouldn't expect to see. There were other similar things as well. Given Qantas's well-known name, my guess is my experience is NOT typical. So I wouldn't necessarily advise against using them, but my personal experience was not that positive.