Search

Delaware art museum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delaware art museum

Has anyone visited? Looking for your impression & how long you spent on your visit. Is it a museum whose exhibits you can comfortably cover in a few hours like the Frick or the Whitney? Or larger/ more widely ranging like the Guggenheim? Thinking of going on Saturday & it's a 2÷ hours each way. Thanks for any thoughts.
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 04:14 PM

I have not been since they changed locations but I've heard a couple hours is probably sufficient. Combine it with Longwood gardens featuring their annual orchid show-gorgeous!
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

deladeb - thank you so much! I will look up the gardens and see if they have a winter garden & /or hothouses greenhouses.

Anyone else vis ited? The new exhibit "Fluidity" sounds lovely.
Old Feb 4th, 2017, 10:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have. The space is quire gorgeous, parking free. If I remember correctly, needed navigation to get there . . . the entrance to the parking, anyway. (Can't remember why this was an issue, but just recall it was).

2 hours tops, unless the exhibit you want to see causes you to linger longer. For example, we went specifically to see the exhibit "The Puzzling World of John Sloan" back in the summer of 2015, and it was so hands on, well constructed, and interesting, we probably could have stayed 2 hours on that exhibit alone. The blurb from that exhibit was: "Between 1900 and 1910, John Sloan produced a weekly series of word and picture puzzles for the Sunday supplement of the Philadelphia Press, one of the country’s leading illustrated newspapers. The Puzzling World of John Sloan will explore this little-known facet of Sloan’s early newspaper career, presenting more than 25 works from the Museum’s collection." So you could actually work out the puzzles, and then they had an explanation of the puzzle itself and how to figure it out. Totally fascinating, with fabulous pictures!

The vast collection of John Sloan illustrations and paintings was our primary reason for visiting, and it did not disappoint.
Old Feb 4th, 2017, 12:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, Longwood has several greenhouses strung together that make it a worthwhile visit. I also love wandering outside through the grounds during the winter and the DuPont house on the grounds may be open.

There are several worthy destinations near Wilmington including the Brandywine museum featuring the Wyeths, Winterthur, and the town of Kennett Square which has some really good shops and restaurants for lunch. Nemours is supposed to be McEnroe too but I think it's closed for the season. It's been decades since I've been to the Delaware Museum.
Old Feb 4th, 2017, 12:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure how my phone got McEnroe from nice. It must be tennis fixated.
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 05:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.hagley.org/ One of my favorite in the area.