Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

16 British Museums I haven't seen mentioned here on Fodors

Old Apr 24th, 2009, 04:41 AM
BKP
Original Poster

As if there isn't enough to do! I found these two lists and thought I would share. I haven't visited ANY of these, but now I might have to rearrange some of our summer plans. Enjoy!

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/24792

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/24904

(oops, I think I read a trip report that mentioned the Fan Museum, make that 15 museums!)
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 05:11 AM

Here's a list of 70 London museums so you don't have to travel out of the city for the off beat places. Some of them look really interesting.

http://www.timeout.com/london/museum...es/1496/1.html
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 06:02 AM

I have been to The Meryside Maratine Museum and it is very good,it is not just a museum but a series of buildings ,docks and ships, a most enjoyable place to visit.just a short distance away is the museum of Liverpool life which is also very good.from there it is a hop skip and a jump to the Mersey ferry,so a nice compact area to enjoy a full day out.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 06:50 AM

The Museum of Liverpool Life is currently closed. A much bigger Museum of Liverpool is being built and will open in 2010 closeish to the Maritime Museum.

It will do for Liverpool both what the Museum of London does (document and illustrate its formal history) and what the Museum of the City of New York does (a bit of history, a bit of built environment and lots of folksy stuff about sport teams, trade unions and the like over the past century).

In the meantime, the area's a bit of a building site. The Museum of Slavery is open and nearby - though it's more the kind of place you get taken round as a schoolchild, rather than visit for pleasure. But there's lots of shops nearby now, in what's by several million miles the most attractive shopping centre built in Britain in the last 50 years: not, I admit, a title with many other rivals.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 01:06 PM

ahah!

here's one they missed out:

www.pencilmuseum.co.uk.

it's in Kendal, Cumbria.

there is also a lawnmower collection at Trerice NT garden near Newquay and a collection of gardening tools at Trevano, near Helston.

regards, ann
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 05:56 PM

We have been to the Witchcraft Museum in Boscastle Cornwall.
Twice, actually because it was among the buildings devastated by the Boscastle Flood in 2004 and we wanted to see how it was coping afterwards. It is fascinating (and my son says that it is more likely to upset the prejudices of adults rather than the sensibility of children.) It contains references to witchcraft some white, some black and some grey areas.
Very interesting, admittedly to a family sympathetic to, if not practising Wicca.

Rosemary