One day - Regensburg or Munich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2017, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going on a Viking River Cruise this fall and Regensburg is a port on the cruise. We can spend the day there or take the optional tour into Munich. Since the Munich tour is 8 1/2 hours there will not be time to look around Regensburg. I am looking for opinions on which city I should tour.
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 11:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would not even try to "do" Munich in a one-day tour. IMO easier and better to spend that time in Regensburg.
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 12:09 PM

Regensburg is REALLY small. We got on our Tauck tour there. We had lunch , did a walking tour and shopped. which is pretty much all there is do to except for the cathedral.. unless we missed something. I think we were there three hours and that was plenty.
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 12:11 PM

Regensburg is so so neat!

Said to have more intact historical buildings in its city centre than about any city in Germany - spend a relaxing day there -with the money saved on the Munich tour have a nice lunch or dinner.
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 12:13 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=rege...HRrBAYcQsAQIGQ
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 12:38 PM

I really liked Regensburg. I find Munich dull.
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 12:53 PM

There is loads to do in Regensburg, and a day can easily be filled. Of course it depends on how well you prepare and how much you know about the city...

Going to Munich will cost you two hours for the transfer, and the same back. In other words, half the day would be wasted in a rolling box. Stay in Regensburg.
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 01:23 PM

Ahh, truly a tough decision. Love both! I would say it depends on how tired or adventurous you are that day. Unless you have to decide before hand.

There are some really great places to see in Regensburg...St. Peters is fantastic, one of the only Gothic churches not damaged in WWII. There is a great historic wurst kitchen right on the Danube, that is delicious and hundreds of years old. Another restaurant in Regensburg that I love is Bishoffshaus, right by St. Peters, little nicer and wonderful food. You can visit Oscar Schindlers house, or go to the city wall garden. There is also and area of the city that dates back to the time the Romans occupied the city over the Germanic tribes, and part of the Roman fort still stand as the base of the wall. Oh, also a cool apothecary across from St. Peters that is or was run by monks or nuns or the like.

Ok, but let's be honest, Munich is Munich and it is amazing and there is really so much to see. Having been to both, if you have never seen either I would choose Munich hands down. You can start the day with a double decker bus ride to get a good amount of the city in then go to English Gartens (which is like their Central Park) relax or have a bike ride. Climb the Peters tower (Old Peter) for a fantastic view of the city, head to a beer garten or one of the markets, watch the surfers in the canal ( might be too cold for this) visit Olympic Park and the BMW museum. There are some great Palaces to see, and Marienplatz is a must see with the Glockenspiel! When we were in Germany and Austria we spent 4 days in Munich and it was my husbands favorite place on our trip. It is a very cool city!
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 01:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I think you need more time for Munich, so much to see there so go to Regensburg and do as brenkjtravel suggested.
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 01:37 PM

Regensburg is great. Perfect for a day. Munich would be like trying to do Chicago in a day. It is an amazing city but it would be exhausting and probably not the experience you're looking for. And as since it's an 8 hour tour, I wouldn't do it- that gives you very little time actually in Munich. Whereas a day is pretty much perfect for Regensburg!
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 04:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And yes, Munich is MUCH more than was described above, too.

The Nymphenburg, the Residenze, Dachau, the various museums, etc., etc.
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 03:28 PM

Regensburg is probably our favorite stop in Germany. They brag of having as many churches as days of the year - covering several architectural styles. St. Emmeram is my favorite. It was a Roman stronghold and a gate still exists - Porta Praetoria. The town is filled with alleyways and squares. Regensburg is a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its aged buildings. We are stopping by again in May.
Old Jan 29th, 2017, 01:00 AM

I'd rather spend the day in Regensburg over Munich as it is a lot more interesting to me: Roman ruins, lots of half-timbered buildings, old Jewish quarter, the Thurn & Taxis palace and magnificent churches.
Old Feb 1st, 2017, 02:37 PM

Dukey1 is right there really is so much more to see in Munich! The double decker bus tour does stop at Nymphenburg Palace, we got off and toured the Palace then caught the next bus to come round when we were done. Dachau is another great suggestion, if you are up for Holocaust history it is very moving!
Old Feb 1st, 2017, 11:00 PM

Of course Munich has a lot to offer. But all this cannot be done if you have hardly more than four hours in the city . And they won't have more than four hours.