Why Malaga has such a bad reputation

Search

Why Malaga has such a bad reputation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reputation Vs Reality

Madrid, la capital, con 159.348 delitos (de media, 583 cada día), seguida de cerca por Barcelona, con 117.265 (429 diarios, de media). Para cerrar las cinco primeras se suman Valencia, Sevilla y Palma de Mallorca.

Madrid como la menos segura, seguida de Barcelona, con el 24% y de Sevilla, con el 11%.

http://revistafiatlux.com/territorio...ito-en-espana/

http://cincodias.com/cincodias/2014/...33_621231.html
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 09:45 PM

<I´m glad you choose Malaga as your favourite city in Andalucia>
Have of course not "chosen" Malaga as a favourite city in the meaning always coming back here and stop exploring the rest of the region, quite the contrary. And I kind of like the Metropol Parasol in Sevilla, great views and it have brought back life and energy to the area in and around La Encarnación square.
Old Jun 7th, 2015, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

Of course Metropol Parasol has great views, but for many Andalucian people the project that cost 102 euro millions is the main sign of corruption who makes the Andalucia the poorest region in Europe.
Old Jun 7th, 2015, 04:18 AM

Very well aware of the controversy around the Metropol Parasol. I like the construction, and in many ways developments so far suggest that at least some of the city development ambitions can be met. Not easy to duplicate the Guggenheim effect in Bilbao, but Metropol Parasol have created a lot of attention and revived what was once a vibrant part of Sevilla that had fallen into decay.

That Andalucia should be the poorest region in Europe is of course pure nonsense. The region has been hit hard by the financial crisis, corruption etc. etc., and my heart goes out to all those individuals and families that have been thrown into deep powerty in the region during the past few years. But in 2013 there were regions in both France and Italy that were poorer than Andalucia in GDP purchasing power per capita, and Andalucia would rank #2 of the 17 regions in the Euro "success story" Poland. Andalucia is also on level with the poorest regions in Germany and UK. Would of course be among the wealthiest regions in countries such as Greece and Portugal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...regions_by_GDP
Old Jun 7th, 2015, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Metropol Parasol have revived the area around it but with more than 100 euro million, what people could have done?

Andalucia politicians is equal to corruption, but the biggest problem is the unemployment rate, so at least thanks to tourism is saving the economy of so many families, that´s the reason I don´t understand the kind of articles that only try to hurt.

http://gospain.about.com/od/regionso...s_in_spain.htm
Old Jun 7th, 2015, 06:50 PM

Alvamo-our family is from the U.S. and plan on spending Christmas in Malaga. Is there a particular area that we should consider spending Christmas in? Thank you-
Old Jun 7th, 2015, 11:35 PM

<I don´t understand the kind of articles that only try to hurt>

That Damian Corrigan guy obiously hasn't got a clue about what he's talking about, and seems to be on some sort of strange personal mission against Malaga and some other Spanish cities. Malaga city gets a huge amount of positive press and attention these days, so I think you could easily ignore people like him who obviously first and foremost want to pick a fight (and gets it).

Given the massive international attention for Malaga in recent years and months ("Spain's best kept secret", "new arts hub" etc. etc in NYT, The Guardian, The Telegraph etc etc.) there is no coincidence that a very positive and informative presentation of Malaga city - focusing on art, culture, history and food - was shown on Norwegian national TV a couple of weeks ago.

<plan on spending Christmas in Malaga. Is there a particular area that we should consider spending Christmas in?>

Malaga city, no doubt about it.
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

<Alvamo-our family is from the U.S. and plan on spending Christmas in Malaga. Is there a particular area that we should consider spending Christmas in? Thank you->

Malaga city is great during Christmas, when is sunny you can seat in a restaurant outside to eat for lunch even some people dare to have a bath at this time of the year..

Malaga has a spectacular Christmas decorations along the Alameda, Calle Larios and the surrounding streets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWR8rWyw__g

There is also very traditional the Ruta de Belenes, last year 46 belenes: From the Townhall, Cathedral, Museums, Brotherhoods, etc..

http://www.laopiniondemalaga.es/mala...ga/727366.html

http://www.diocesismalaga.es/ruta-de-belenes/

On the 28th december we celebrate Fiesta Mayor de Verdiales

http://multimedia.laopiniondemalaga....30029_18.shtml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX9iN4DPGjA

On the 31th we celebrate Nochevieja in Plaza de la Constitución, so we eat grapes the last 12 seconds of the year.

On the 5th of January La Cabalgata de Reyes, the 3 kings go in procession and give sweets to children
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frt0-Px5LO0

Them you have lots of Museums, amazing Cathedral and a great view from the top roof and in less than an hour you can visit Granada, Ronda, Antequera or small pueblos like Comares, Carratraca or Frigiliana
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 03:34 AM

Interesting to read everyone's mixed views on Malaga as well as Seville,Granada etc. Maybe I'm a little biased as I live in Malaga, well just outside the city anyway but in the 8 years I've lived here as an expat. I have seen the city come on hugely in many ways.

The art, culture,choice and quality of restaurants and hotels and the fact that you can get round most of it on foot and enjoy the sea breeze on a hot summers day as opposed to the likes of Granada Seville etc are all positives IMO.

Also agree that Christmas is a special time of year in the city, Damian Corrigan has some weird personal vendetta against it and there are pickpockets in absolutely any city in the world, Malaga is no different. Oh and also in the same way Malaga gets tarnished.

I hate how Marbella is always pigeon holed as a home for European gangsters, yes there are some undesirable types there but not everyone comes to Marbella to run away from something or someone.

Travel guide on malaga and the surrounding areas may help to show people that malaga is a great place to visit:

http://malagatravelguide.net/locatio...g-malaga-city/
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 07:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Alvamo, a great thread,

"Malaga city is great during Christmas, when is sunny you can seat in a restaurant outside to eat for lunch even some people dare to have a bath at this time of the year.."

now your English is near perfect but to suggest that the people of Malaga only wash once in the winter....

(bathe rather than "have a bath"), don't worry I make typos all the time.
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you bilboburgler, I´m trying to improve my english and I find the Fodor´s forum very useful for it.

So some people bathe during Christmas in Malaga when is sunny
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 04:15 PM

In the Revolting States we say "they go swimming"
Old May 10th, 2016, 05:59 PM

I am going to be in Malaga for a week in October for a family reunion so I will let you know when I get back but I am feeling more positive it was a good choice after reading this thread.
Old May 11th, 2016, 09:15 AM

I am a fan of Malaga!Guidebooks mention that there are safety issues in Malaga and that may scare some people.I never felt unsafe in any part of the town.I wonder when the guidebook writers were in Malaga or if ever!
Old May 11th, 2016, 09:52 AM

I've been a few times in Málaga, each time for at least 5 days. Going back next month for another 5 days. Can't wait to cycle to Pedregalejo for boquerones.
Old May 11th, 2016, 10:10 AM

I did not realize that Malaga has such a bad reputation until I read it in your headline and I'm sure others are the same - for folks who only read the titles and not the posts I think you may be doing Malaga a disservice really by the title- a better one may be:

Don't Neglect Malaga, etc - the 'bad reputation' to me in the title meant crime to me so you may want to think about how the title makes Malaga sound to folks who do not read the post - many many many of them!
Old May 11th, 2016, 10:13 AM

And BTW I spend some nice days in Malaga and loved it - I agree with your overall gist of the town. I've also stayed in Torremolinos and it was really blah - nice beach for a beach but boring flats like along much of this coast - Malaga is a genuinely old historic city - much more to my liking.
Old May 12th, 2016, 03:19 AM

My password has been hacked, hence the "swimming" comment above. Sorry.
Old May 12th, 2016, 08:40 AM

No, Malaga doesn't have a "bad reputation". You just don't understand why it's not ranked up there with the stars of Amdalucia, Seville, Cordoba, amd Granada. Look in the Michelin Green Guide to see why. But, take heart:- the city of Malaga has put up those new museums and tidied up the place in order to lure more people there and get more tourist monies. While Malaga is "OK", I'll never forget being in the market and seeing an immense rat sitting on some vegetables. When I pointed this out, the stall owner just casually swatted the creature as though it were an hourly occuramce. Maybe it was. There were many tasty items there.