Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

This is Why I Will Always Travel Solo From Now: Trip Report -Rome and Sorrento

Search

This is Why I Will Always Travel Solo From Now: Trip Report -Rome and Sorrento

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said, Barb. Please don't feel that you have to defend yourself.

I would be willing to bet that everyone here at one time or another has been exasperated with a traveling companion and probably just bit their tongue. I know I have because its just human nature. If others deny it, they're probably only fooling themselves.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 03:28 PM

We went to Italy once with another couple....never again. Only one of the 4 of us was like the devas Barb had to deal with. That was bad enough. I totally sympathize with her and applaud her courage to warn people about the pitfalls.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 03:35 PM

Yes, but did she have to make such sneering fun of them? Just seems a bit mean to me. That's just me. I wouldn't mock others on the internet for the amusement of a message board. This is just my opinion. I may be taking it too seriously!
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 04:05 PM

While I think I understand Barb's point - that she tried to warn of the potential pitfalls with a bit of humor thrown in to soften the blow, it may have been a bit unrealistic and unfair to expect that everyone would share the same philosophy when it comes to travel. It's just as important to do some "research" about your potential traveling companions as it is to research train schedules and museum openings. Some people are better of going solo, and if this story has a point, maybe that's it.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Barb-I've not bothered to chime in until now, because many have said pretty much how I feel; I enjoyed the report and found it very amusing. Whether it was 100% true, or slightly embellished, it doesn't really matter.

However, I have to say that some of the reactions here may have tempered the writing of my own trip report ("Confessions of a Travel Nazi...&quot about going to Spain with my Mother. But I've been writing about my travels (on my own website) for a long time and I've learned you can't please everybody. That said, the negative comments can't help but sting a little. Don't feel obligated to reply to every one.

Again, I enjoyed the report.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 04:40 PM

Huh. Had to see what all the fuss was about -- suppose I'm mostly amazed at the sheer amount of typing on Barb's part. That's a lot of keyboarding there, Barb. A LOT! Days?

Guess I'm also astounded at the number of enthusiastic and swooning sycophants on this thread. The best thing you've ever read? Guys, I'm sorry but it's not really that well done.

There ARE a lot of very informative, witty, compelling trip reports on this site. Sadly, this is not one of them.

It's time to move on. Let's close the cover on this epistle without any more fussing and fighting and stone throwing. And don't any of you all quit your daytime jobs, hear?

IMHO.
B/
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 06:33 PM

Gotta love the suggestion that I was doubleposting as delldee. I wish I was delldee - she lives in Sorrento!

Speaking of doubleposting, how come we haven't heard from Aunt Ida lately?
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 07:39 PM

... amazing how a few people can wreck any party just by trying.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 08:19 PM

Well Barb, you have been critized and we that enjoyed your trip report have been critized. Shall we all start to critize the critics LOL. Take care and have a good week. And thanks again for your trip report. Most of us really enjoyed it. And for those that didn't, oh well, they got to read it for free so no money down the drain as often happens with terrible movies and books. And if they felt they wasted their time it is so easy to move onto another thread isn't it. Take good care.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 02:34 AM

Okay, now that Barb has 'finished' the report and I have saved it in a 'secure' place for future enjoyment, I do not have to live in fear of this thread getting deleted or 'frozen'.

Barb honey, do not defend yourself, you cannot 'win' and it is not important. I loved your report, you obviously enjoyed writing it and I really appreciate the effort that you put into it.

Happy Solo Travels,
Maristella
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 05:11 AM

Been lurking 'til now and two things strike me. First, seems like all posters here are women, but not sure what, if anything, this means.

Second, ever notice how people talk to each other on TV sitcoms and even some movie comedies? When real people talk like that, what would make a studio audience laugh often could sound "mean" in real life, but I notice people more and more "cracking wise" in person in a way that people get away with in "art" but less so in life. So it's interesting that people instantly thought this should be a movie. Just a thought.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 05:20 AM
ira

Hey Barb,

Your report was so good that you now have people analyzing it, people critiquing it, people criticizing the critiquers, analyzing the analyzers and, finally, a MCP.

Kudos to you.

Old Nov 8th, 2005, 05:47 AM

<i>&quot;Guess I'm also astounded at the number of enthusiastic and swooning sycophants on this thread. The best thing you've ever read? Guys, I'm sorry but it's not really that well done.

There ARE a lot of very informative, witty, compelling trip reports on this site. Sadly, this is not one of them.&quot;</i>&quot;

Nobody could EVER accuse me of being a &quot;swooning servile flatterer&quot; and I don't recall anyone saying this is the &quot;single&quot; best thing they've ever read. Talk about swooning hyperbole and pulling words out of context.

I know I don't have time to read EVERY trip report on this board and, frankly, if any report covers what I consider a lackluster location - regardless of the number of posts, I probably won't click on it.

I truly doubt Barb believes her manuscript to be the FINAL edit, or ready for submission. However, it's very clear to me (and others) that the raw material is there and encouragement to hone and fine-tune may be worth the effort.

The phrase, <i>&quot;It's time to move on,&quot;</i> always reminds me of a control freak, especially on the VERY UNCONTROLLABLE internet. Can't help but wonder if birgator is a mail-room clerk at Random House with a longing dream to say something effective.

<i>&quot;Been lurking 'til now and two things strike me. First, seems like all posters here are women, but not sure what, if anything, this means.&quot;</i>

1. Big bucks at Barnes &amp; Noble.
2. Big bucks at the Box Office.

It's not as much fun when the answers are so obvious.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 05:58 AM

Actually I took it as a great work of art. it is actually not a whole lot different than reading Bill Bryson, he usually mocks his travel companions as well.

I think from reading this we understanding the writer's weaknesses as much as her travel companions. Yet. ,most of us sympathize with her- And that is what makes great writing
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 07:05 PM

TYFFT ~ thank you Barb.
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 02:20 AM

Me, too.
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 05:14 AM

Having posted the link to this terrific trip report on AJPeabody's TYFFT thread in the Lounge, I'd just like to say that I was lucky enough to meet Barb in 2007. We have met every year since, and spent a week together in a rented apartment in Barcelona in October 2011.

She is a delightful travelling companion, I am proud to have her as a friend. We are in the early stages of planning what will be our 6th annual gtg later in 2012.

Thank you to Fodors for having 'introduced' us!
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 06:40 AM

Just found this and read all of Barb's threads but none of the comments. It sounds like yet another case of a great thread getting high-jacked.

Sorry if this has been discussed, but Barb, do you still see any of this group?
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 06:56 AM

I love all the zingy "barbed" one-liners.

"Didn't you read the emails I sent months ago..."

"You're going to pass on ____ restaurant..."

I wonder if any of the divas wrote a report - it'd be great to hear their perspective.
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 07:38 AM

Barb - I've been feeling guilty that I haven't written my trip report from my July trip to Rome, but it will never measure up to this report so I think I'll just read this one instead of writing mine!

I'm only up to Oct. 26 so far as I just saw this today, but it will make entertaining New Year's Day reading don't cha think??!! Thanks for starting my year off right! (Sorry to be profiting from your experiences!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -