Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Road Trips
Reload this Page >

Vancouver to Calgary Road Trip in Late September?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2017, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We've been to Vancouver before, so this time we'd like to visit areas outside of the city where we've seen some movies and TV shows have been filmed as well as general scenic small towns, things like that. The idea would be to take Hwy 99 up through Whistler to Kamloops to join Hwy 1. We're early risers, so we'd be on the road at sunrise and stop for breakfast in Whistler. We'd spend 1-2 nights at the Comfort Inn at Kamloops before heading over toward Banff.

At that point, I'm at somewhat of a loss as to how to proceed. I don't know if we should go over to the Quality Resort in Canmore and use that as a base for exploring along Hwy 93 north of Banff or if we should plan stops in Salmon Arm/Revelstoke and then use a more reasonably-priced place like Radium Hot Springs as a base for the Banff area. I'm thinking Kamloops to Radium Hot Springs, followed by Radium to Hinton, then on to Canmore via Edmonton/Calgary and finally to Kalispell. My wife can't do a lot of hiking, so we're mostly overlook-stop and drive-through sort of travelers with occasional short hikes mixed in.

So, some of my questions are:
-- Will late September be too late in the year to enjoy Vancouver to Banff?
-- Will we run into a lot of bad weather over the Rockies?
-- Will we have difficulty finding reasonably-priced lodging? At the least, we would plan our next destination a day or 2 before, if not sooner, and make reservations. If need be, I can plan ahead and make reservations earlier, we'd then simply stick to the plan.
-- Where should we stop for more than an overnight? The current plan is to stop in Kamloops for 1-3 nights and perhaps meet an internet friend.
-- Anything specific we should see along the route? We don't need to be back to Phoenix until Oct 29, but we'd like to keep the whole trip to around 30 days, so maybe 7-10 days or less between Vancouver and Kalispell.
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 07:29 AM

Kamloops is just a largish city with zero charm (IMO). Go just a little bit farther and stop in Salmon Arm or Sicamous.

Radium Hot Springs is ok, I guess, but I wouldn't want to base there to see Banff (we did that once, on our first trip to the area). We almost always see big horn sheep there; and if the eccentric woodcarver is around, he is fun. The restaurant across the street from him will only be open for dinner by then, but we like it. However, you're looking at close to 2 hours each way to get into Banff. Canmore is a much better alternative and a place we have based in several times.

At one time, late September would not be so busy and you could probably find vacancies without making advance reservations far ahead of time. However, this year is very busy thanks to the anniversary/free park pass. Plus, it's become a popular destination for Asian tourists, and you'll find that they will be taking up a lot of the more affordable lodging (tour bus loads).

Weather-wise - yes, you could run into some early snow. But if so, it normally melts away quickly, and you will find autumn color.
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, especially the comments on Kamloops and Radium Hot Springs. It sounds like we might be better off postponing the Banff/Glacier part of the trip until next year when we have plans to take a cruise to Alaska. Chances are high that we'll drive to Vancouver then to join my brother on a tour out of Wisconsin. It would give me time to plan better lodging options and avoid unnecessary backtracking around Banff/Jasper.
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 09:39 AM

Keep in mind there are a lot of fires in the Caribou this summer. Some of them will be burning until the snow flies. You might want to think about taking the southern route through Hope to Osoyoos - Grand Forks - Nelson- Cranbrook - Radium. It is less commercialized, and more scenic. From Osoyoos, you are close to the wonderful wineries of the South Okanagon. Nelson is a beautiful small city. At Radium, there is the Cedar Motel. I've always stayed there. For supper, drive to Invermere to the Black Forest Restaurant. There is a major fire in Kootenay NP on Mount Assiniboine.
Just a suggestion
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 09:41 AM

I meant to add that I agree, Canmore is the best base to explore Banff.
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 09:45 AM

Are you still planning to visit outside Vancouver on this trip while saving the Rockies for later?

If so you could spend the time on Vancouver Island visiting Victoria and heading up to Ucluelet and Tofino. Or visit the Okanagan taking a circle route from Hope to Osoyoos and then north to Sicamous or Salmon Arm and returning through Kamloops either on the Coquihalla Highway or on the TransCanada through the Fraser Canyon.