Travel Experts - What would you pack for a cross country road trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, me and my 15 year old son are soon setting out on a 5 week cross country (Boston to California) road trip with main stops in Yellowstone, Utah National Parks and coastal CA. It's a given that we'll be doing laundry, but how much stuff would you bring with you? What is essential? Thanks!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 09:14 AM

Less clothes & more money.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 09:16 AM

And plenty of snacks for the car. And water - lots and lots of water.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 09:18 AM

air freshener for the car
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 09:23 AM

I agree with the water. Make sure you take a well-stocked cooler and keep it filled as you go along. I know people don't like to have to make "pit stops". But road trips, particularly through the Rockies, are dehydrating. You'll feel much better if you keep drinking that water!

I'd also suggest taking along a roll of quarters. That way you'll be well supplied for laundramats, tolls or whatever.

I always take one of those plastic shoe boxes with a little laundry kit. A small bottle of detergent (or laundry tablets. I wouldn't use them at home but they're handy for travel), a baggie with some fabric softener sheets, a Stain Stick, a canvas laundry bag and quarters.

Old Jun 30th, 2006, 09:25 AM

<font color="blue"> A_Traveller </font><font color="black">
That's the <b><i><u>best</u></i></b> advice ever! </font>
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Well, more money is a given! Saps, are you implying something??? Ha ha.
We've never done something like this before so I hope we don't end up killing each other. Good ideas with the laundry box and quarters. Any more?
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 10:59 AM

A notebook.

This has the makings of an excellent trip report, thunderdog.

Old Jun 30th, 2006, 11:06 AM

The cooler with drinks is essential. Also, pack picnic foods and supplies. This way you don't have to rely on restaurants all the time. We did a big loop from California to Colorado and back again several years back and after awhile, restaurants got really tiring. On the flip side, we had some of our best lunches at places we'd pulled off and had a picnic.

We have also been known to take a table-top grill or a camp stove on long road trips like this to increase our variety when picnicking. It is so much fun to find a pretty spot, pull out the barbecue and other stuff and have a nice little feast

For clothing - you will be going through some very different climates, so layers are my recommendation. This way you can get by with fewer clothes.

Remember that you don't need to bring all the toiletries you will need because you can buy some along the way to replenish your supply.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 11:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't really worry about trying to &quot;pack light&quot; for a car trip. As long as you have room in the trunk or whatever. I'd bring more rather than less to minimize laundry stops.

Getting the food equipment in order is definitely priority, ice chest, camp stove, etc.

Books-on-tape or CD are nice entertainment for long stretchs of driving.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 11:24 AM

Add AAA books for the entire route and travel books with advise on sights in different locations and national parks. You don't want to miss any biggies along the way.

It'll be a great trip. Thirty years ago, when finishing grad school, a friend and I went on a 5 wk road trip from Chicago to California on a more northern route. Visited the great &quot;Wall Drugs,&quot; so got in on that &quot;in-joke.&quot; From there, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Glacier, Mt. Rainier, Seattle, Olympic Peninsula, Portland, OR coast, redwoods, San Francisco. Flew back from there. It was one of the greatest trips in my life. When we were in Seattle, I had thought, &quot;Hmm. I'd like to live here.&quot; Ditto for Portland. I applied for jobs in both places but didn't get any bites. Instead, I got a job in VA. Met my husband. Eventually, we moved to ATL for school/work reasons. When it was time to look for a new job, we looked to the PNW and lucked out. Twelve years after my road trip, we moved to Portland, and now we live in the Seattle area. We love the PNW!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 11:42 AM

One of the things I make for a long trip like that is a note book set up, in order of travel/stops: the hotel/motel reservation with exit stop written on it and our license # (because DH never can remember it when we check in), pages with things we want to do in that area, any notes I may have made from suggestions on what to do or where to eat and any maps I may need while I am in a certain area.

I have found that this keeps the stress level down because who ever is not driving isn't trying to find the instructions/maps/reservations.

As for packing, I do try to travel light, but it's not easy when you are going from hot to cold, but a couple of pairs of jeans, a good pair of long pants, tops, T shirts a couple of sweaters &amp; a light jacket, some shorts &amp; tops if you think you will need them. Stick socks in the shoes (only a couple of pair of shoes) roll up your clothes because they are easier to find instead of pawing through your luggage. And I place all the shirts/tops in one area, pants in another, etc. Pack undies in plastic bags to find easier, take a laundry bag. Take something 'nice' if you think you will need it. Have fun.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Hi thunderdog, I would pack a blanket and a pillow. One time when we were on a long road trip our daughter (about 12 years old at the time) got a virus or something and we didn't have either in the car with us. We finally found a store and bought those items so that she could be comfortable in the backseat. They don't take up much room and are sure handy if anyone needs them. I would pack a small medical kit too. Just to get you by in case one of you needs something until you can get to a store.

Have fun!!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:08 PM

I second LoveItaly on the medical kit. I always pack ibuprofen, benedryl, antacid tablets and a digital thermometer.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful suggestions. Thanks so much. I've gotten a bunch of tips on places to see along the way and am soooo looking forward to this. Have wanted to do this my entire life. 15 year old isn't thrilled about it but I know he will have a good time once we get on the road.

Never thought of taking a camp stove but that's a great idea. Will definitely be picnic-ing a lot to save on expenses and to avoid a 20 pound weight gain eating at too many restaurants.

mamajo - I am going to take your suggestion of writing down the license number for my DH as well!

Have to keep a bit of spare room in the back of the Caravan as 3 older children (18, 19 and 21 will be flying out to meet us to drive up the CA coast.

Orcas, your trip sounds like it was awesome. Hope ours is as well.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:12 PM

A &quot;smack&quot; ice is a good thing to have in the first aid kit as well.

Have a nice trip!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:44 PM

The ice scraper you took out of the car in May - put it back in. I had to scrape AM frost off window in West Yellowstone last August.

Water shoes - good if you encounter a pond, river, etc that you might want to swim in but has gross stuff on the bottom - also for Boiling River in Yellowstone.

For 15 year old, consider extra cell phone minutes (although might not be usable in some remote regions), laptop - s/he will be happier if can keep in touch with friends and might surprise you by saying positive things about trip. Also good for checking route, weather, etc (and normally think computer should stay home on trip)

Consider an AAA membership if you do not have one.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 01:10 PM

Something not mentioned by others are supplies to clean your car windows. I mean the inside of the windows. I remember getting home from even a 2 week trip and being amazed at how dirty the windows were. You can now by window cleaning towels in containers similar to wet wipes.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 02:09 PM

A deck of cards and a couple of board games.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Wet wipes and a roll of toilet tissue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -