Search

RV Road Trip Oregon - Itinerary Help pls

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2018, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RV Road Trip Oregon - Itinerary Help pls

Hello!

My family is planning an 11 day RV trip around Oregon and I would much appreciate help with the itinerary. This will be our first RV travel experience so I would also like any advice from seasoned RVers. I'm having trouble deciding where to stay the night and how much time to devote to each location.

About us: We are a family of 4 (parents two boys 8,6)

Tenantive itinerary:
June 29 Portland -- arrive late to PDX (pick up RV, class C 32 in)
June 30 Portland -- pick up supplies, go to farmers market, a little sightseeing/shopping (where should I stay the night???)
July 1 take I-26 to Cannon Beach then go down 101 to Tillamook (go to new creamery) , Three Capes and then spend the night at Newport??
July 2 continue on 101 S driving thru Yachats, Florence then on I-5 S in Sutherlin from OR-38 E/Umpqua Aveand OR-138 E to Roseburg to spend the night (don't know if there's something I should see in this area. Wildlife safari probably isn't an option since we will be in an RV)
July 3 take OR 138 E to Crater Lake (spend the night but where?? is the trolley tour worth it??
July 4-6 Bend/ Sister (rafting, biking, eating)
July 7 Timberline Lodge
July 8 Mt Hood
July 9 return to Portland
July 10 go home

Thank you in advance for your input!!
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 02:03 PM

Hi, it appears you don't have reservations for your campsites if you are inquiring about itinerary.

It is crazy hard to get campsites over the 4th of July through that weekend. State parks fill up 6-8 months ahead during this time. Private parks similarly book out although less months. So my first question to you: is there any backing out of renting the RV? (I think hotels might be easier....) And did you buy plane tickets already?

If you are committed to this trip, and there's no backing out:

I suggest you try to get a place lined up TODAY for July 3-7 and base the rest of your itinerary around what you get.

And I really do mean TODAY. I know you've got younger boys and all that entails. But set everything aside you can and start hunting. Then from there, you build the rest of your trip. The other weekends will also not be easy.

1. Oregon State Parks
https://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=visit.dsp_find

The largest private groups for camping in Oregon:
2. KOA
3. Thousand Trails

4. Going on to Google Maps, picking your Destination (aka Bend) and doing find nearby "campground' to find the independent ones .

5. County Parks (a few are on Reserve America or similar)
6. Federal (less apt to have full or even partial hookup, ora dumping station)

Bend has about 3 major state parks I expect are full but check... The Thousand Trails in Bend is really nice and quite large. Also at the beach, the Astoria KOA is known as a last minute site. We were never that last minute so I haven't been.

Good luck!

Old Jun 19th, 2018, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestion. I was able to make a 3 night reservation in Bend at Bend/Sisters RV park.
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

july 3-6
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 04:12 PM

That is great new!. Give a shot to your previous weekend in Portland next.

There are not many RV places near Portland for short-term campers.

My inlaws liked to stay at one in Wilsonville called Pheasant Ridge that was pretty nice.
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 04:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There was a recent rumor that there would not be fireworks in Bend on July 4. The good news is that the Bend Bulletin will be sponsoring fireworks from the top of Pilot Butte as they have done for decades. There may not be as many as in previous years but at least there will be some. The best places to see them are on the south side and on the east side south of the hospital. They start about 10 PM.
There is also a rodeo in La Pine if that interests you