Road Trip - Pittsburgh to Philadelphia

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Pennsylvania this September. Our main focus is to visit Falling Water (my husband's a huge Frank Lloyd Wright fan). So, we thought we'd fly into Pittsburgh, go to Falling Water the next morning, then travel on to Philadelphia. Any suggestions on a place to stay between Falling Water and Philadelphia? Should we do the Dutch country tour? Also, we may be in Philadelphia for our anniversary, any suggestions for a romantic evening out? Lots of questions, I know. Thanks in advance!
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:30 PM

When doing Fallingwater, get there in time for the deluxe tour. It's only once daily, and leaves around 8:30AM. It leaves (and is mostly over) before the standard tours start. And it also allows you to take pictures inside the house.

And while in the area, catch the other home Wright designed--Kentuck Knob (aka the Hagan House.) The two are only a half-hour or so apart, and offer a delightful contrast. Fallingwater was done as a summer house (in the 30s,) and Kentuck Knob, designed and built in the 50s, was meant to be a year-round residence.

Hotel Hershey might be a good stop, and you can easily wander down through the dutch country from there, the next day.
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tour info. We'll definitely want to catch the early tour!
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Phila. has sooooo many wonderful restaurants. Try going to
www.gophila.com for info on restaurants, activities, and hotels.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:45 AM

You may want to schedule a stop in Gettysburg. Most people find the self-guided battleground tour interesting.

As a place to stay, other than a large hotel, consider Donnecker's in Ephrata, close to PA Dutch country.
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:48 AM

Since you don't say how long you have for this trip I'd honestly just do the 6 hour drive from Pitt to Philly in one day and not stay over in between. If you do, the Hershey Hotel is a very nice palce to stay with lots of activities in the area.

For a restaurant in Philly you have a ton of options:

The Fountain at the Four Seasons - $$$$, but well worth it (I got engaged there, maybe I'm biased
Striped Bass - $$$, upscale very nice seafood
Buddakhan - $$, maybe $$$ depending on what you get. Very hip and cool, but the food is delicious.

There are a ton more wonderful restuarants. I'm sure others will have good suggestions as well.
Striped Bass - $$$