Road trip Boston to Portland or Providence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2016, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be arriving in Boston and ready to see as much of the east coast as possible between early morning May 14 and 10:00 a.m. May 17, 2016. Recommendations have been Providence RI or Portland Maine. I've not been to either and am looking for recommendation of things to do going to either or other suggestions from those that know the area.

My interests are seeing (driving/walking) the coast, small towns, great food and shopping.

Thank you in advance.
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 12:36 PM

I'd go north. Start in Boston, drive to Salem MA then go up the coast through Beverly, Gloucester, Marblehead and spend the night(14th) in Rockport there are cute shops along this route. Then head towards the highway and go towards Portsmouth, NH. Visit Strawberry Banke. Continue north with a stop in Kittery for outlet shopping then continue on to Portland.

If your flight from Boston is 10:00 am, either spend the night (16th) near the airport or give yourself an extra hour or two to get into the city and out to the airport.
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 01:57 PM

Agree with emalloy - Go North.

Portsmouth has a nice area of small shops and you can have lunch in one of the restaurants overlooking the harbor. The back decks all connect.

If you want casual clam shack type of food, Petey's in Rye NH. You can walk on the beach. If you follow the coastal road north thru Rye you will go past the private mansions. Spring shrubs will be in bloom so take any side street to connect back with Rt 1. Rt 1B is also a favorite drive thru New Castle ending up in the Strawbery Banke Historic Area.

Good luck choose a restaurant in Portland. There's a lot to choose from. The Old Port Area is a fun place to shop.

Kittery is outlet shopping. If you haven't had enough to eat, When Pigs Fly has a bakery outlet where you can sample the bread.

Bite Into Maine food truck which offers about 5 different kinds of lobster rolls might not be parked in Fort Williams park in May (check facebook) but don't miss the view of Casco Bay and the lighthouse.
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!