Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Boston to Portland, ME: 2 free days, what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be landing in Boston and driving to Portland for a wedding in late September. We get in on Wednesday, and are not due in Portland until Friday night. What are some suggestions for places to see/stay with these couple of free nights?

Take care,

Pappy
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 08:05 AM
dln

Maine's tourist board is www.visitmaine.com. Look there. That should get you started. There are SO many things to do in beautiful Maine that two days will fly by like two minutes.

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 08:16 AM

Boston to Portland is a relatively short drive - about 90 minutes. Along the way are the old seafaring ports of Newburyport and Portsmouth. Salem is slightly off course but still very doable.

I would recommend staying in Boston for both nights and seeing as much of it as interests you - duck tours, great art museums, dining etc. Then take one day to drive up north stopping at one of the three towns mentioned. Salem is not my favorite but it does have the advantage of the Peabody Essex Museum which is a great small museum which has just opened a new building.

My favorite is Portsmouth with the Strawberry Bank living museum, great shops and nice dining. I would follow Rt 95N until just before the Hampton tolls, get off at exit 2, head east until you hit Rt 1a and drive north on 1a until you hit Portsmouth. Its a beautiful drive along the ocean, mansions on one side, rocky coast on the other (I did this yesterday as I have done dozens of times before and I've never tire of the view). Stop for lunch , have a look around and then get back on 95 to finish the drive to Portland.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
www.migis.com
www.billowhouse.com
www.innbythesea.com
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bennie. I don't think we'll be staying in Boston, however. My thought is that we will stay at a different place both nights on the way up. Maybe somewhere in NH or VT? Any suggestions there?
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 08:26 AM

I would stick to NH. Vermont is doable but you'll end up with several hours of driving and who needs that. You could drive up 93N to the White Mountains of NH. Maybe stay at the Mt. Washington - gorgeous old grand hotel that has been recently renovated but there are tons of other options. Book now as you may be close to leaf peeping time. Then you can drive over to North Conway to Bethel Maine and down to Portland. Check out newengland.com. Its the website for Yankee Magazine and I believe they have suggestions for beautiful drives in NE - check out the Classic New England section.