Planning a Low Country Road Trip

Old May 5th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning a Low Country Road Trip

My daughter and I have been planning a road trip during the first two weeks of June to celebrate her recent college graduation. We are taking 12 days to travel the two hours between Savannah and Charleston; flying into Savannah on day 1, renting a car, and flying out of Charleston on day 12. We have had two brief trips to Charleston in the past, but have never visited the other places on the itinerary. Here's what we have so far. Your comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Savannah (3 nights)
Accommodation: 1895 Inn
Dinner reservations: 1) Alligator Soul; 2) Olde Pink House; 3) The Grey (planning Mrs. Wilkes for lunch on day 2)
What to do: we are still working on our plans for Savannah. I know I would like to visit the Bonaventure Cemetery, visit some of the museum houses, and so on. I am thinking one of the hop on/hop off trolleys might be a good idea. Maybe a morning or afternoon at the beach?

Beaufort (2 nights)
On day 4 leaving Savannah, driving through Bluffton, and moving on to Beaufort.
Accommodation: Cuthbert House Inn
Dinner Reservations: 1) Griffin Market; 2) Breakwater Restaurant
What to do: wander around town and visit historic and movie sites, maybe a boat trip?; visit Penn Center

Folly Beach (2 nights)
On day 6 leaving Beaufort and visiting Edisto Island on the way to Folly Beach.
Accommodation: Water's Edge Inn
Dinner Reservations: 1) need a suggestion, maybe something beachy? Rita's has been mentioned; 2) The Fat Hen
What to do: lay on the beach, visit Stono Market and have lunch at the Tomato Shed

Charleston (4 nights)
On day 8, departing Folly Beach for Charleston.
Accommodation: Ansonborough Inn
Dinner Reservations: 1) brunch High Cotton dinner Husk; 2) Edmund's Oast; 3) Glass Onion; 4) The Ordinary
What to do: Gullah Tour, visit plantations, Charleston Tea Plantation, Charleston Distillery tour

Thanks for looking over my plans. I will definitely post a trip report!
Old May 5th, 2015, 01:57 PM

This all sound really well balanced and well paced.

We are from Scotland and have spent 4 separate 2 week break in the area, we always use Edisto as a base because it is the most laid back sea island with incredible wildlife.

If you are visiting take a look at the islands museum and historic churches, Botany Bay is a stunning beach at sunrise with its bone forest of trees.

We love Beuafort, the Penn Center on St Helena is worth a visit, as is the church of St Helena which is in downtown Beaufort.

Of the Charleston Plantations, Drayton Hall and its tour offers a good insight into life on a plantation without playing the "Gone with the Wind" card.

Folly Beach is fairly close to Charleston, I'm not sure if it is worth packing up and moving on for the sake of two nights. I would suggest staying on Edisto but the locals have "banned" hotels.
Old May 5th, 2015, 03:45 PM

I have a couple of suggestions.

In Savannah, the Pink House Restaurant is the best, in my opinion. I don’t know though that I’d be able to eat the massive lunch at Mrs. Wilkes, and then have room to do the Pink House dinner justice. Depends on how hungry you’ll be and how much time has lapsed between those two eating experiences.

In Beaufort, we stayed at the Cuthbert House Inn—a lovely place! So, another good choice. If it happens to be your birthday, they’ll give you your age as a discount! The older you are the greater the discount. They used to do this anyhow.

If you’re having lunch at the Tomato Shed (main Road towards Seabrook Island and Kiawah Island), do that on the way to the Charleston Tea Plantation and the Distillery which are very near each other on Wadmalaw Island. Or, eat as other locals do at Sunrise Bistro at the intersection of Main Road and Maybank Highway, where you’ll be turning right to go to the Tea Plantation and Distillery ). Afterwards, you’re really close to Angel Oak Tree, so see that too. They have a nice gift shop. It’s a short turn off of Main Road. If enough time has passed after all that, then eat at the Fat Hen for dinner (on Maybank Highway as you’re heading toward Folly Road to Folly Beach). Don’t backtrack to the Fat Hen if you’re already on Folly Beach. Choose another place to have dinner, somewhere near Folly Beach.

When you’re in Charleston, eat at the Glass Onion IF it’s Tuesday night (make reservations for the type of Chicken you want prepared). They are known for their chicken. The rest of the menu is good, but not like the chicken, in my opinion.

You might want to include Fig as a possible dinner restaurant in Charleston. The chef, J. Stanhope, just won the James Beard Award for Best Chef, Southeast Prize—a very big deal. I’ve eaten there and the food is excellent. Definitely keep Edmund’s Oast on your list, actually keep them all. Your restaurants choices are all terrific.

Charleston Plantations. I prefer Middleton and Drayton Hall, but any are good. An additional one is now accessible to visitors, the McLeod Plantation (turns off from Folly Road, actually, you’ll go right past it).

Sounds like a well planned trip, with enough time for each place!
Old May 5th, 2015, 05:55 PM

Was just talking to our adult kids about eating in Charleston and they said they would drive down from Charlotte to just eat at http://xiaobaobiscuit.com/. They are foodies, restaurant consultants, getting ready to open a restaurant here in Charlotte. pretty high praise.
For some local color, think about driving up 17 just north of Mt. Pleasant to the SeeWee--and old place by the side of the road.
What's the oyster place on an island that won best resto a couple of years ago.
It doesn't all have to by Michelin dining!!
Old May 5th, 2015, 10:01 PM

We ate at both SeeWee and Bowen Island Oyster place last October.

Both are the sort of place which are unmissable and the the experience you would have regularly had before corporate food appeared.

Really wanted go to Glass Onion but have never made it, it always looks packed.
Old May 6th, 2015, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I am relieved that the pacing seems to be good.

Regarding our restaurant plans, I hope to be lined up at Mrs. Wilkes to get in close to opening. Our reservation at Pink House isn't until 8pm, so hopefully that is enough time. Likewise, in Charleston we have an early brunch at High Cotton, and dinner at Husk isn't till 9pm. We ate at FIG on our last trip to Charleston, and it was sublime! However, we want to try all new to us places this time. And yes, we are planning on Glass Onion on fried chicken night. Based on your comments, I think I will cancel Fat Hen this trip and stay with more casual, local places for our two nights on Folly Beach.

Even though though Folly is so close to Charleston proper, my daughter really wants to stay here, so we will leave it on the itinerary. I will definitely add the Angel Oak to our visit to the Tea Plantation. I am hoping to make a clean sweep of the plantations! I like the idea of visiting both preserved and restored buildings. I am not usually "outdoorsy," but I think I am most excited to visit the many wonderful things on Edisto.

Thanks again! Let me know if you think of anything else I should know. I will be sure to repay your kindness with a trip report.
Old May 7th, 2015, 03:19 AM

Looks fun. I would suggest a photo op stop at Old Sheldon Church ruins, just off highway 17 near Beaufort. It's beautiful any time of day/
Old May 7th, 2015, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you suewoo. That will work out beautifully, as the ruins are on my way to Edisto. We will surely make a stop there. I googled it and it looks just lovely.
Old May 7th, 2015, 08:42 AM
DRJ

Your choice of Griffin Market is perfect. Ask to see the wine collection. Staggering!