Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kiawah weekend -- Need 1-day itinerary for Charleston

Jun 13th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

We are going to spend a long weekend over July 4th in Kiawah and wanted to spend one day in Charleston (dinner in Kiawah) and one night in Charleston (day in Kiawah). Since it will be just me and my husband (no kids!) we wanted to have a romantic dinner and were thinking of Slightly North of Broad (SNOB). Is this a good choice?

Also, for our day in Charleston, we wanted to get a good overview of the city. Someone had suggested the Middleton Plantation. I also wanted to see the straw market and King Street for shopping. What would be a good 1-day itinerary for Charleston? Any advice would be appreciated!
Jun 17th, 2009, 10:43 AM

SNOB is a great choice for dinner. It's a favorite of many. I'ver never had anything but a great meal there. They usually have some sort of specialty drink on the menu. We tried their 'Carolina Cooler' when we were there - fantastic.

I guess which day of the weekend you will be in Charleston might dictate how you spend it... the fireworks are on the 4th. They shoot them off at Patriot's Point over the Yorktown. We've watched them from the roof of the parking garage behind SNOB. The shopping on King street has everything from Saks to home stores to funky and designer clothes and shoes to antiques and art. You could spend a whole day there. The market area (Market Street between Meeting and East Bay Streets) wraps up for the most part around dinner, so you have to hit that earlier in the day. I don't know what kind of holiday schedule they have. Middleton Place Plantation is good for at least half a day and they have a good restaurant on site. Working your Charleston schedule to have dinner in town the night you are staying, and having the hotel hold your bags the following day there might work well, if that is an option. You'll be able to stroll around town leisurely after dining and won't have to head back to Kiawah in the dark. Many do not like the dark, curvy roads (Maybank Highway and Bohicket Roads) at night - those huge trees inches from the side of the road (especially if you like a glass of wine with dinner)... If you do not have your Charleston reservations yet, checking on minimum stays might be in order. Many facilities downtown have a 2 night minimum on weekends. Since it's after Spoleto it might not be an issue, however.

There are many dining options on and around Kiawah, both at The Sanctuary, some of the golf clubhouses, neaby at Freshfields and Johns Island. Choice just depends on 'fine dining' level and what price you'd like to pay.
Jun 23rd, 2009, 07:33 AM

SNOB is good. Depends on what type of place you like. Fulton 5 is smaller and more intimate, High Cotton and Blossom Cafe are great. A lot of folks like Magnolias and Carolinas, There is a great little Italian place on King St. right behind the Charleston Place Hotel.

We go to Kiawah all the time, and happy hour at The Sanctuary is just a great experience. We usually go out on the lawn and pull up an Adirondack and watch the waves. Last time we were there Arnold Palmer poked his head in the bar and waved. Also have eaten several times at Chez Fish, just outside the resort, and it's excellent and to us has more character than the resort establishments. If you are in town, lunch at Hominy Grill is good but you'll likely need directions.
Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:26 AM

sorry to report that Chez Fish closed about 8 months ago. The building is empty right now and no sign of a replacement.

Many of us think the best two restaurants in the Charleston area are now on Johns Island -- of all places. Check out the Fat Hen and Wild Olive, both owned by Fred Neuville of Rue de Jean fame.

Great food at good prices. Both located on Maybank Highway between Charleston and Kiawah.
Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:27 AM

I have to agree with dove about The Fat Hen...I love it for either lunch or dinner. We have yet to try Wild Olive. I've heard good things about the new/revamped Red Sky and Tomasso (though pricey). Reviews of the restaurant at the Ocean Course have been mixed.
Jun 23rd, 2009, 02:10 PM

Thanks Dove, Fat Hen and Wild Olive are on my radar now. Sorry to hear about Chez Fish, we always liked it a lot better than Red Sky, Rosebank, etc. Must have closed right after our last trip down. We were in town in December but did not make Kiawah. What's the name of the honky tonk seafood dive at the bridge to go on Folly Beach?
Jun 24th, 2009, 08:45 AM

Folly Beach -- If one can believe it, Folly is going upscale and is selling itself as the new foodie destination. The centerpiece is the new BLU at the renovated Holiday Inn. Gets good reviews.

the icon of seafood on Folly Road is Bowens Island. Unlike any other place around town. Funky and fun. When it burned down several years ago, they restored it exactly. Looks like they even brought back all the rusted cars, etc.
Jun 27th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Do you think it makes more sense to just spend the whole day in town, including dinner, and then head back to Kiawah, or do what I originally thought -- day in town night in Kiawah, then day in Kiawah night in Charleston?
Jun 27th, 2009, 08:36 AM

jillg, that's honestly what I'd do. The drive in from Kiawah isn't horribly long, but I'd rather spend more time on the island than do it twice (especially since you just have a long weekend).
Dec 31st, 2009, 12:31 PM

For Charleston Itineraries - go to the source:
http://www.charlestonlowcountry.com/Touring/index.html
Jan 3rd, 2010, 05:25 AM

I'm not sure one day is enough for downtown AND Middleton. They're pretty far apart. And don't forget it will be hot, which can make you tired quick. I'd pick one or the other and do it up right.

All the restaurants recommended are great. CHeck out their menues online and see which one strikes you. Have fun! And bring bug spray.
Jan 4th, 2010, 01:56 PM

You will be sapped by the heat. Stick to downtown.
Jan 5th, 2010, 06:37 AM

The OP posted in June - I think her July 4th vacation is over and done with. The thread got topped by advertising.
Jan 5th, 2010, 01:41 PM

I guess I got suckered.